• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

how far can you really see??

shelpster66

Private
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2010
The Gunshine State
I have a friend that has a spotting scope that only is good for about 100 yards. I've used it and it sucks...I have been reading the threads about all of the spotting scopes that are a little on the less expensive side.
The one I have decided on is the Konus Konuspot 20-60x80mm Spotting Scope 7120 and think the reviews have basically made my decision....even without looking through the glass.
My buddy says that if you can only see bullet holes 100-300 yards away, what's the point of having a spotting scope?

So, how far can you see(or are supposed to) with a spotting scope like this? Do you guys have spotters that can see bullet holes out to 600-800 yards?

apologies if this sounds like a dumb question, but I'm still learning.

Re: how far can you really see??

On sheet of white paper i can see my .30 cal holes at 600yds , on black target center ? think i can find them at 200yds. Mostly for watching bullet impact on steel or dirt at most ranges.

It's all about the glass quality, don't get fooled by stupid high magnification, if glass is crap the image will be useless.

(i have older metal Nikon Fieldscope)

No. Don't expect to see bullet holes regularly further than about 400 yds except in the best of conditions depending on the target/spotter. Some days you will be able to see bullet holes pretty far with very good glass but most days mirage and washout will prevent it. Shoot-n-C targets or white painted steel extend that a lot. They are useful for way more than looking for bullet holes and I use mine doing that the least. My main uses are hunting and spotting splashes on steel or dirt shooting long range. They are also nice for viewing mirage just out of focus directed midway down the bullet flight path.

you know its kinda funny when this gets brought up. Spotters were never (and still arent) intended to see actual bullet holes in paper targets. They are aids in the shot plan! They are aids in seeing things further away.

In the tactical world they are used to keep friendly forces further away from bad guys, wether it being recon, target identification etc etc. Then when a target is confirmed it slides into the Shot placement assistance tool which is where it coincides with recreational, Competitive, hunting uses.

Being able to make out mirage downrange is the big one that sticks out. Also assists in reading wind down range off of small trees limbs or grass for example.

Anywho my point is I havent looked through not a one that could make out small arms holes in a black target at 300 yards, possibly can occur if the sun or sky is visible through it but not the norm. So your buddy needs to understand how a spotter is used and its benefits.

(for long range targets each individual hole is pulled and marked with a 5 inch round white on black or black on white disc so the shooter can see the hole and the placement)

damn, mustve been typing the same time these other two guys were.......what they said

A good quality spotting scope should allow you to see .308 holes in a splatter target at 600 yd without too much trouble. I recently bought the Vortex Razor HD 20-60x85 to replace an inexpensive spotting scope. The optical quality of the Vortex is light years better than the inexpensive one. Having said that, I could still usually see .308 holes in splatter targets at 600 yd with the cheap scope, and .223 holes to at least 400 yd. Even though there was definitely much more chromatic aberration with the cheaper scope, it didn't prevent me from seeing holes in targets with it.

The most useful differences in spotting scopes IMO lies more in some of the other features. For example, having both coarse and fine focus knobs. Trying to focus on bullet holes with only a coarse focus knob is difficult, regardless of the glass quality. Also, having a tilt feature so you can rotate the eyepiece to the side is also very useful for looking at targets when you're shooting prone. Are these types of features worth the extra $$$ it will cost to get them? Maybe yes, maybe no...probably a question that everyone has to answer for themselves.

My final suggestion for whatever scope you decide to go with is to get a GOOD and SOLID tripod for it. Don't skimp here because the all the quality glass in the world is useless if your scope is dancing around with the slightest breath of air. For what you're wanting it to do, same reason as with the fine focus knob, you're asking a lot to see little holes at that distance and if it's moving around, it's even more difficult. If you do a search, there are several threads here in the last few months that specifically deal with tripod preferences.

Thanks for the replies everybody.....I was a bit confused as well as my buddy. I guess it kind of makes sense now. I will have the Konus in my mitts tomorrow when I get home from work.....which is nice since I'm headed to the range on Sunday.
Will try to mount a camera to it to take some videos.

as far as a tripod is concerned, I bought one of those first....so no worries on that.