• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How far could you hit a 19”W x 24”H target with 100% certainty?

Eurodriver

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2011
USA
No aids. No kestrel. No range finder. No dope cards. No buddies to coach or spot for you.

Just you, your scoped rifle with bipod, and a rear bag (Wilcox turned off)

Target distance is unknown. Wind is 5 to 10 MPH shifting from 7 to 10 o’ clock. Target is unobscured, not moving, freshly painted white, and it’s daytime.

How far could make that hit, cold bore/shooter, with 100% confidence?

Reactions: Kalthoff
Caliber?

With a 308 700 yards
700-800.

I could hit it off a fence post at 600 I'd guess. I can hit 6" or so at 400 off a post.

Edit- I missed the UKD part. Just thought it was what dope you knew for your rifle type deal.

I've shot so much at 600 I could probably guesstimate it. But easily 300-400

Last edited:
Reactions: D_TROS and 338dude
No rear bag with my '06 800 wouldn't be too tough with a 208 amax and 4350.
With my 338/378 I might be able to stretch that to 1k without too much problem, she's a good wind bucker.

I hate rear bags, I just kinda cross my arms and use my fist under the buttstock, always have.

Oh, and if you know the size of the target.....those little lines in your reticle.....?
Yea, that's your rangefinder, it's why they are there in the first damn place.

fanny pack lol that's funny
1668321340639.png

1668360760304.png

looks way cooler . plus there is the whole I don't need no stinking badge thing

Last edited:
500m on a steel gong with boring consistency with a .270 deer rifle because that was the longest longest target on the range. Made a headshot on a wild hog at a measured 400yds with the same rifle and Federal ammo.

I shot a duck in a creek at 800 yds. with a .222 bolt action with factory ammo.

Unknown range, no aids except reticle to measure target and estimate range?
You know target size.
I could probably guess/measure out to 600 +/- 20 yards in range.
Get the wind close +/- 3 mph @10, +/- 2 mph @ 5.
Cold bore? Sure, easy peasy :)

Last edited:
At least 700, probably 900-1000... The reticle in the scope (tremor 3 or equiv), tops of trees, grass, etc. to guesstimate the wind and direction in between the firing line and the target.

The 147gr 6.5 ELDMs can be either a 6 or 7 mile gun depending on altitude. Assuming I know the basics of where I'm shooting from... you're holding .2-.3 mils for wind. Not a really big deal.

If it were 10-15+MPH, well, that starts getting alot harder.

Prison wallet

A thin fanny pack with ammo loops like a ammo wallet isn't a terrible idea.

If anyone makes them just give me a cut lol
I gotta see this in a comp. "Prison reload", not "precision reload".

500m straight up, because i know my dope from heart to that distance. Given a notepad and time, 700 would be a stretch, but id have high confidence in that shot.

I know my dope @ 600 (F-Open).
The trick would be guessing unknow distance (measuring accurately with the reticle) 550 yards or 650 yards.
But with a 4 MOA vertical target might not matter much.

Reactions: AllenOne1
How many of you responding regularly or have ever spent much time actually ranging UKD targets? Are you aware of the potential ranging error at the claimed confident distances some here are claiming?

We used to run UKD stages back when people wouldn’t bitch about not being able to use their rangefinders. A surprising number of good shooters found out that having only a reticle, a pencil and paper and a limited amount of time was more difficult than they thought.

Then, those that knew their stuff still had trouble at the 700-1000 ranges. There’s a good amount of measurement error to consider at those distances, which often translates into a miss.

But then, I’m sure we all suck when compared to all you Rock stars.

I have them from 2 to 700yds on my property. Any caliber, anytime my rifles. At this point I know how far they are. I let them rust into the scenery, it makes it fun to find them.

How many of you responding regularly or have ever spent much time actually ranging UKD targets? Are you aware of the potential ranging error at the claimed confident distances some here are claiming?

We used to run UKD stages back when people wouldn’t bitch about not being able to use their rangefinders. A surprising number of good shooters found out that having only a reticle, a pencil and paper and a limited amount of time was more difficult than they thought.

Then, those that knew their stuff still had trouble at the 700-1000 ranges. There’s a good amount of measurement error to consider at those distances, which often translates into a miss.

But then, I’m sure we all suck when compared to all you Rock stars.
Yeah, I'm hearing a lot of glossing over how hard it is to range with a reticle in field conditions. You can't measure to .1, you gotta be down at .01... so .55 mil not .5. Then you gotta do the math. I'm certainly not confident enough to guarantee a 100% hit rate at those longer ranges.

And... I'm not sure we have pen and paper in this scenario. That math not happening in my head I can tell you that. 😂

Last edited:
I have spent time at the unknown distance steels at The CMP in Talladega
I am reasonably good out to 600 yards (but admit its been a while since I have done it)
I would say 500 yards is inside my comfort zone

I think maybe some are making assumptions about the unknown distance part

1668349959460.png

Can I do it with a pistol with no RDS? 100yd

• Haha
Reactions: lash
Can I do it with a pistol with no RDS? 100yd
I was hitting steel at 70 yds with my 1911 and 44 magnum. Oddly enough there was a lot of 'hold down' to get on target.

"No aids" I take to mean, no milling reticle, just a fine cross hair- and no fore-knowledge of the target size. Blithely aiming center mass, a 147 eld-m from a 6.5 creedmoor will put a bullet on that sized target with that wind up to about 275 yards. Knowing the target size, but no way to range (or estimate range), you could aim 'top of plate' and make a hit out to about 375. At these distances, "favoring into the wind" is sufficient to negate the effects of wind. Given a reasonable shooting position, I'd say these would be 10 for 10 propositions. Beyond that would require some method to estimate a range.

No rear bag with my '06 800 wouldn't be too tough with a 208 amax and 4350.
With my 338/378 I might be able to stretch that to 1k without too much problem, she's a good wind bucker.

I hate rear bags, I just kinda cross my arms and use my fist under the buttstock, always have.

Oh, and if you know the size of the target.....those little lines in your reticle.....?
Yea, that's your rangefinder, it's why they are there in the first damn place.

Of course you can use your reticle. Just like you can estimate football fields or 9,000 dicks if you shoot 6.5CM and are familiar with that many dicks.

DTA SRS so the Buttspike in back makes it cheating.
700yds in 6.5.
800 with 338
Probably much more; I would commonly drive to TVP and crack a Cold Bore 338LM round at the 1k plates; 9/10. But, I knew they were 1000.

Ranging with reticle only past 700 gets more challenging.

Got my interest up.
Looking over my drop (85.5 @ 2980fps), a 24" high target, and assuming getting an MOA first shot, and hold overs with range guesses, 400 to 450 would be pretty easy. My range estimation ability would probably gets a miss out past 500 to 550yd.
Range estimate error of 50yd @ 750yd would be a miss.

400 20.9"
450 29.5"
500 39.8"
550 52.0"
600 66.2"
650 82.5"
700 101.1"
750 122.2"
800 145.9"

I was hitting steel at 70 yds with my 1911 and 44 magnum. Oddly enough there was a lot of 'hold down' to get on target.
Aim about the head/neck with a Glock 19 and you're good.

I shoot a gas gun, sooo...eventually(with a 40 rounder as a mono-pod!:ROFLMAO:). But... in all seriousness, 600-700 yards. Mac