• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How far have you pushed a .300WM?

whiskeyone55

Private
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2010
Stanford, Kentucky
I've been shooting literally since I was 3 years old. I've got a Landtech .308 and I've had a couple of decent 1000 yard shoots with it. Now I'm ready to step up into the big leagues and I'm honestly lost on what round to shoot. .338 was my first choice but my re-loader said screw you about a week ago and I'm going to be stuck running factory loads for a while. How far do you feel comfortable pushing a .300WM?

Re: How far have you pushed a .300WM?

As you've no doubt noticed, a lot of the guys on this site have some very nice hardware. And MOST of the guys who hang out in 1000+ have some equally nice toys for LR and ELR. I mention this because there don't seem to be a lot of people really stretching the 300WM. And If I owned a .338 LM or a 375 CheyTac, I probably wouldn't either. But I own one rifle. It's a 300WM, so I've had to learn just what it is capable of.

I do most of my shooting between 3500 and 4500 feet ASL, so that slants my experience a little, but I've found the 300WM to quite a capable budget ELR rifle when loaded with the 208/210's.

I use 208 Amax's due to their low cost (however, right now they are impossible to get so it doesn't matter). 1 mile is not an unreasonable goal for accurately placed shots from a decent rifle. I've hit steel at 1900 and shot a fairly small group at 2300 yds. shooting at rocks. And all this from a 22" barrel.

I'll be rebarreling in the late winter to a 30" barrel and I'm also looking at some high BC solids, since no one seems motivated to make a mass produced high BC 30. cal. projectile that will take full advantage of the 1:10 twist. Then we'll set up some steel at 2500 and see what we can get done.

John

I also have only one LR rifle, & it's a 300WM. I also use the 208 A-Max, & 210 VLD's. However I shoot from a 28" brl, & most of my shooting is @ 1500'-2000'ASL, & I've hit steel @ 2K yds several times under good conditions. My best so far is a 3 rnd 13" group @ 2K yds.(probably just luck)

i came close at getting some cabrito off a wall at 1800yd....no wind, no mirage,.....and no joy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i came close at getting some cabrito off a wall at 1800yd....no wind, no mirage,.....and no joy </div></div>

But there was this goat...

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i came close at getting some cabrito off a wall at 1800yd....no wind, no mirage,.....and no joy </div></div>

John </div></div>

Yet no video...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i came close at getting some cabrito off a wall at 1800yd....no wind, no mirage,.....and no joy </div></div>

John </div></div>

Yet no video... </div></div>
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">for them that don't know...cabrito is young goat </div></div>

Apparently there are some that don't know. Consider me schooled.
wink.gif

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">for them that don't know...cabrito is young goat </div></div>

I wasn't sure if you were talking about the goat or a two legged animal climbing over a wall onto your property... good to know now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whiskeyone55</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been shooting literally since I was 3 years old. I've got a Landtech .308 and I've had a couple of decent 1000 yard shoots with it. Now I'm ready to step up into the big leagues and I'm honestly lost on what round to shoot. .338 was my first choice but my re-loader said screw you about a week ago and I'm going to be stuck running factory loads for a while. How far do you feel comfortable pushing a .300WM? </div></div>

Black Hills factory loads with the 190SMK will get you out to 14-1500 depending on your elevation

Hunting Shack makes a 185 VLD factory round also.

I think Federal and Remington also make a 190 grain for the .300WM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ida83704</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hunting Shack makes a 185 VLD factory round also.</div></div>

If I'm not mistaken HSM is also loading a MK248 MOd1 clone as well as a 208 Amax load.

John

With my 208 AMAX, I have pushed out to 1550+ with consistent hits. Haven't tried the 1mile for it yet. At that distance, I prefer my 338LM over the 300 WM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With my 208 AMAX, I have pushed out to 1550+ with consistent hits. Haven't tried the 1mile for it yet. At that distance, I prefer my 338LM over the 300 WM. </div></div>

I've taken my .300WM/208 grain A-Max out to 1500 easily, due to the altitude I live at(5200). I have the range to reach out to a mile, so once it warms up here, I may try that out....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I prefer my 338LM over the 300 WM. </div></div>

Heathen.
wink.gif

John

Shot my .300wm out to a mile for the first time last weekend at Thunder Valley. Shooting 208 A-Max's and 210 VLD's. 76.5gr H1000. With the exception of annealing, I did everything humanly possible to the brass, prep-wise. 12" target at one mile, spotter calls were 'dancing all around it' with about a 10" group going, just not ringing. That sweet ding finally came. Only hit two hits but given conditions (xwind from 3 oclock at about 12-15kts), and at that distance contending with 3 valleys, therefore trying to average out (swag) the windage, I wasn't too unhappy. Out of the box REM 700 5R milspec (accurized)/26" bbl. Nightforce 5.5-22x56, MLR reticle/ mil turrets, zero stop. Holdover that day around 1.5 mil. 12" targets at 1000/1100/1200 as well. Gun did very well at those reaches. Shooting at Thunder Valley should be on any serious shooters bucket list. Great range, great time shooting. Samstone

1650 yards was the farthest I shot mine. Made hits pretty easily.

I just got in my 220 matchkings and new brass. After hunting season I will see what my 300wm can do past 1,000. I have 1500 yards available at this time. My rifle is a single shot made on a springfield action with an unturned barrel blank. Stock was found in the trash at Ft Benning. Topped off with a rebuilt Weaver T-16 scope. She looks like hell, and shoots like she looks. Her name is "boomer"