• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

how far off the LANs for a 308

gumball

Private
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2008
wv
hey guys

how far do you guys come off the lans when loading for your 308 ive allways heard a good starting point is 30 thousanths and move in from there what do you guys find that works

Re: how far off the LANs for a 308

Lands?

A lot of guys start with the bullet touching the lands, that way you've got a known starting point, then back up from there if needed.

Also depends on the rifle, mag length, etc. A lot of factory rifles won't let you touch the lands and still be able to fit in the mag.

I start into the lands and get my load, then vary seating depth if needed to get more accuracy.

Different calibers, different bullets, different chargeweights MAY end up wanting different jump distances.

I am using 15 thou as my long range jump, although I ran experiments from 0.005 through 0.030 and could hardly make out any difference in the group sizes; with 155 scenars.

Scenars like to jump. SMK's rarely care. VLD's don't like to jump; unless you jump them more than .020, then some do.

im speaking of the 175 grain smk i shot some of the federal 175 gr match ammo and they shot pretty good but good lord they was about 60 thou off the lands when i compared them in my rifle dont get em wrong they shot great in my GAP but hey what dont just trying to figure out if i should load any thing closer i used the factory ammo as a comparison when i loaded my handloads was just wondering what everyone else was doing as far as the jump on the bullet

If the chamber will handle it, I move out to just touching the lands and take it from there. I move back in .005" increments and shoot at least 5 in a group to measure.

well
i ended up answering my own question lol
it seems that anything greater than 2.840 will not fit in the rifle mag it seems according to my calculations that it will make that bullet about 35 thou from the lands which is all im going to get
thanks for the input though

I'm 0.260" off the lands (yes that is correct - 6.5mm))
Std Rem Sendero 308 chamber, AICS.

Shoots 0.26" coincidence?? lol

Was going to set the barrel back and tickle the chamber, but no point messing with something that works so well.