• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How far will your LRF go?

wareagle700

Minuteman
Jan 5, 2010
SE Georgia
I was curious to see what distance and objects people were getting long readings from. Please feel free to share your equipment, distance, and what objects give you the best readings.

Here I have a Sig Kilo 2000 and the farthest distance I have been able to get yet. I am 90% sure it was picking up a car, possibly a road sign though. It was hard to hold the phone and LRF steady enough to get a picture.

Your screen reads 3226.0 yards! Impressive, what was the price on one of these?

Yep, 3226 yards was the distance. I picked up this Sig for under $400 just before they released the 2200 and 2400 models.

For the money, the performance has been incredible.

I got the Sig Kilo to range 2699 Y off a non-reflective target (Tree's) hand held while hunting the other day. I'd like to get 3000+ Or 4000+ reflective target with a tripod(mount) and the bluetooth ranging function via the phone app(remote trigger).

It was a challenge to get the picture as I was sitting my truck, window down, holding the LRF in one hand and my phone in the other so its just showing what it thinks I was trying to hit. The Sig will save the last reading off a target when you let go of the button. Not sure what it hit but it was either a car or road sign im pretty sure. I doubt it would pick up ground or trees at that distance.

3284 meters from a Sig 2200 , or about 3590 yards on a building . Max
in the bush so far is 1870 off a big tree . Got an offer I couldn't refuse on
my Terrapin a couple of years ago ( like double what I paid ) , not missing
it so much anymore with the Sig .

This.

It's fun as hell sitting it ontop of a Spotter 60 with the trigger and looking through the spotter at things far far away and just pushing the button to see how far away it is.

Yeah, it's looking like I'm gonna have to copy your setup the more I look.

Sig Kilo looks to be the best low cost option out there.

My Kilo 2000 has got a barn at 1865, but can only range AR500 plates out to about 1200y with any reliability.

Just returning a number doesn't mean much. Virtually every range finder will return "some number" when you range something far far away.

However, returning the wrong number is way worse than just not returning a number. The difference between something like a terrapin and most other rangefinders is that you actually know you are getting a return off of the steel target at 880 and not the subtle rise in the ground at 840.

Just returning a number doesn't mean much. Virtually every range finder will return "some number" when you range something far far away.

However, returning the wrong number is way worse than just not returning a number. The difference between something like a terrapin and most other rangefinders is that you actually know you are getting a return off of the steel target at 880 and not the subtle rise in the ground at 840.

Agreed. Here in Hooterville, I've watched several LRF get a return on "something" but were unable to get a return on the actual target we're about to take a poke at. It's too cold, too bright, etc... Out comes the "if it ever dies you own a paper weight" Terrapin. We shoot that distance and oddly enough it works out fine.

I was curious to see what distance and objects people were getting long readings from. Please feel free to share your equipment, distance, and what objects give you the best readings.

Here I have a Sig Kilo 2000 and the farthest distance I have been able to get yet. I am 90% sure it was picking up a car, possibly a road sign though. It was hard to hold the phone and LRF steady enough to get a picture.

Fuckin hell, do cars fly over there?

1879 yards, daylight, handheld, ranging a sagebrush a hillside with Steiner Military 8x30 lrf binoculars. Repeated, consistent readings are fairly common for me up to 1879 yds, but never further. Thinking there must be an internal 'limiter' built into it.

vectronix terrapin..

Attachments

• photo75898.jpg
    photo75898.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I've gone to 1400 with my PRF before it was stolen but got a killer deal on here for another PRF (300$ or so) couldn't pass that up. Really can't stand the lack of two handed hand held range finders on the market. Swaro (which is now discontinued to my knowledge), Zeiss PRF, and the Bushnell seem to be it. I mean yeah the Terapin exist but that's one extremely expensive piece for a range finder.

Reactions: MilDot1960
5700 through the windshield of my truck lol even laminated glass can’t stop Vectors