• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How frequently do you recheck loads ?

Do you recheck loads ?

• Only when i screw on a new barrel

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Factory ammo, i dont GAF

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Every major event / competiton

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Every 500 or less rounds.

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Only when I start getting fliers / crap groups

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • On new batch of powder / proj

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • Im sick of the chicom spam.

Votes: 8 24.2%

• Total voters

iceng

Non-Privates
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2017
South Aus
2 votes per, 10 day poll.

Was talking with mates at the range. How often do you chrony / group check your loads ?
When is it time to redevelop your load ? Do you keep a log book of all your data ?
Do you have another important bit of voodoo you wanna mention ?

1: group each time i shoot, 5 shots, to confirm zero (travel for PRS). Dont rechrony, but verify drop at distance, usually try to coldbore a 500m+ gong.

2: usually dont, unless i cant buy primers i want or projectiles i want. Maybe 1200ish ill revisit, but i set and forget.

3: ALL data is recorded. Reloads on brass, my brass dimensions, OAL on a load for jam / jump to lands, how many rounds down barrel, when (if) cleaned, group size (5shot, but 25 shot with es/sd on load dev as final confirm), etc.

4: nope. Why im asking.

I check at the beginning of each firing cycle on the brass so I don’t load up a few hundred rounds of what could now be crap.

I guess that lines up with every 500 and/or the new batch of powder-proj even though it doesn’t list brass.

I've loaded over 10k of 9mm from the same 8# jug of powder without rechecking anything other than shooting it all up.

Only recheck loads if i change barrels. Never “rework” or redevelop loads using the same components (if I switched from Varget to h4895, I would but not between jugs of 4895 or between boxes of same bullets).

if it’s factory ammo, I’ll rechrony and check 100 yard zero and maybe a target at 5-700 yds or so, if it’s convenient, when I switch case lots. Other wise, DGAF.

ETA: I usually start any practice session with a couple of 3 shot groups…so if something was seriously off, I’d shoot a few more and troubleshoot if the precision/accuracy was suddenly different than I expected.

Reactions: iceng
I guess technically I “check” every range trip. I run my Labradar as often as possible.

I just picked up a 25ft cable for the inertia trigger so I can run it while on props.

109 Berger matches up so well with the generic AB custom curve, all I have to do is plug in the chrono MV.

So, regardless if it’s the same batch of ammo or a new batch, I chrono enough to be confident in the avg MV and plug it in.

I don’t bother worrying “why is it 25fps fast/slower than last time” as long as it’s not enough to mean the barrel is starting to go (I clean every 300 or less rounds, so never get a carbon ring).

Thus far, even if velocity changes (could be several reasons) I’ve never had the precision fall off enough to matter or the SD to increase enough to matter.

This is all for shooting practical/prs/steel.

I shoot a single x5 round group on paper at 100m to check zero and practice shooting groups/practice shooting prone before every training session. Apart from that or load dev I never shoot prone.

Only bother checking the speed/sd’s when I set my zero before I leave for a match.

Does wonders for my sanity and confidence to not touch play with it and trust it’s shooting well and trust my zero.

Precision Rifle forum dude. I don't think the intent of the question was for pistol, shotgun, muzzleloaders, or rubber band guns
Thank you for clarifying the OP’s intent.
I didn't mean to hurt anybody's feelers.

Now, will you please stop spamming the board with the Chinese stuff?

Last edited:
  • Haha