• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How handy is a chronograph?

You and I are pretty much shooting the same setup. I have a CZ 452 with a good scope, and use the same app. I just took it out and tried some new ammo zeroed it at 25 which also gets me zeroed at 50 yards as well. I feel as though I can hit a dime at 50 yards but have yet to find an ammo to group at 100 yards. I don't think it is the ammo, but can't know for sure.
So if your 100 yard groups are egg shaped vertically that is one of the things the chronograph can answer for you. If the velocities are relatively consistent it's something you are doing. In general this is something that shows up at longer distances unless you are using bulk grade ammo.

Step 1 buy chrono
Step 2 shoot rifle over chrono
Step 3 buy kestrel
Step 4 input data into kestrel
Step 5 use data to hit whatever you want

Lol

Chrono is one of the dentist items IMO. Especially if your a reloader or you just want to get data from electronic device.
+1 on this. My only addition would be to use the Kestrel in easy mode at the beginning to get the feel for it. First shot hits at 200 yards with a 22 rifle can be so confidence inspiring and addicting. It has been geeky fun to be figuring out the Kestrel sitting in a recliner! The Kestrel is silly expensive, but a first shot 200 yard hit makes you forget that high price immediately. It has improved my shooting due to the confidence, inspiring me to learn more. Don’t forget to buy a range finder as well. You will need that accurate data for the Kestrel.

Last edited:
Step 1 buy chrono
Step 2 shoot rifle over chrono
Step 3 buy kestrel
Step 4 input data into kestrel
Step 5 use data to hit whatever you want

Lol

Chrono is one of the dentist items IMO. Especially if your a reloader or you just want to get data from electronic device.
I fully understand the usefulness of one but then on the flip side you see clowns that can't function without one. I mean the type that take their AK, etc and chrono every round, meanwhile they have a bubble level-wait, three levels and BUIS along with a bipod and red dot on the scope type. Poking fun to show an example of how ridiculous some are with the equipment.

Reactions: Photobug
I fully understand the usefulness of one but then on the flip side you see clowns that can't function without one. I mean the type that take their AK, etc and chrono every round, meanwhile they have a bubble level-wait, three levels and BUIS along with a bipod and red dot on the scope type. Poking fun to show an example of how ridiculous some are with the equipment.
It is amazing how gear intensive precision shooting is. Some of the suggestions are that all I need is to buy a Radalab, Kestrel and a good rangefinder and shooting precision will become easy. Those accessories add up to more than I have into my precision 22 tip to butt. I should have bought a Vudoo then the accessories would seem more reasonable.

It is amazing how gear intensive precision shooting is. Some of the suggestions are that all I need is to buy a Radalab, Kestrel and a good rangefinder and shooting precision will become easy. Those accessories add up to more than I have into my precision 22 tip to butt. I should have bought a Vudoo then the accessories would seem more reasonable.

You don't need a Labradar as you can use a Magnetospeed Sporter for $175 and be fine. You just need something to give you your velocities.

You don't need a rangefinder but for .22 you can buy a cheap one if you wanted one to check ranges. Most $80-100 units will be fine for .22 ranges.

And you don't need a Kestrel. Been shooting .22 matches for a little over 5 years and never owned a Kestrel and do pretty well. There are plenty of free ballistic apps that work just fine.

It's up to you to figure what you need to get the job done. This is the internet and it will tell you you need every high end tool in the tool box but you don't. You just need the knowledge to know what you do need to get the job done.

My problem is that, other than match day, I don't have the ability to shoot beyond 100 yards. I'm hitting what I'm aiming at under 125 yards - it's the 200 yard targets that I have to make a lot of adjustments for. I'd like to true my app data with MV, BC, EP, SD, LGBTQ, etc so when I get to the match I don't spend a lot of precious time getting dialed in at the longer ranges. So far what the app says beyond 100 yards and what I have to dial have been two different things. Just changing the drag function in my app (StrelockPro) to RA4 brought my margin of error way down. I'm mostly there without the chrono, but now want to change ammo and would like the info I hope to get to smooth the way for me.

I got a good deal on a chrono, but discovered it has to be set up 15 feet in front of the muzzle, which I cannot do at my local indoor range, nor can I effectively do it on match day. I can run tests with the chrono in the back yard but I don't yet have what I consider to be a reliable backstop. Early tests indicated my rounds were going clean through two bales of pine straw AND the plywood backer (and then into the woods), so I need to get some sand bags to shoot into before I can proceed. Baby steps.

I have a chronograph, and have not used it in years. I used it for USPSA to get my speed for the power factor ( bullet weight X speed). For rifles, i do it old school. I shoot and get my dope from real come ups. I shoot long range 22lr now. I put the know data in Sterlok and true my speed with 200yds data, then true the BC with 300 yds data. My data is very close out to 500yds. I will adjust current weather in Sterlok, thru out the day. A chronograph is a useful tool, but it can be done without one.
I am with you this. It works the best for me. I have used one but always verify drops from StrelokPro. I have put actual chrono value in and still had to adjust speed to true up drops. Chronograph great for lots of things but mostly use mine when working up reloads for my center fires to find that sweet spot for them.

I chronograph my rimfire but that velocity very quickly gets thrown out when I true my software so honestly not sure it's worth my time.. the box values are usually close enough for my gun.

Outside of rimfire I love my chronographs. At least to give me some sort of Benchmark where my handloads are at.

Reactions: DrSquall
My problem is that, other than match day, I don't have the ability to shoot beyond 100 yards. I'm hitting what I'm aiming at under 125 yards - it's the 200 yard targets that I have to make a lot of adjustments for. I'd like to true my app data with MV, BC, EP, SD, LGBTQ, etc so when I get to the match I don't spend a lot of precious time getting dialed in at the longer ranges. So far what the app says beyond 100 yards and what I have to dial have been two different things. Just changing the drag function in my app (StrelockPro) to RA4 brought my margin of error way down. I'm mostly there without the chrono, but now want to change ammo and would like the info I hope to get to smooth the way for me.

I got a good deal on a chrono, but discovered it has to be set up 15 feet in front of the muzzle, which I cannot do at my local indoor range, nor can I effectively do it on match day. I can run tests with the chrono in the back yard but I don't yet have what I consider to be a reliable backstop. Early tests indicated my rounds were going clean through two bales of pine straw AND the plywood backer (and then into the woods), so I need to get some sand bags to shoot into before I can proceed. Baby steps.
Where is the LGBTQ setting in Strelok, can't find it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Does the orientation of the magneto speed bayonet matter? my cz457 has 16.5 inch barrel and doe not have room to mount the bayonet except at 11 12 and 1 o’clock..

Does the orientation of the magneto speed bayonet matter? my cz457 has 16.5 inch barrel and doe not have room to mount the bayonet except at 11 12 and 1 o’clock..
I have mounted mine at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o clock on various rifles and it works just the same.

Reactions: adubeau
Yup doesn’t matter where in the barrel it is set. Just make sure it has proper clearance from bore.

Reactions: adubeau
I just have to ask if you have correctly entered your rifle information, like height of scope over bore as an example? On a .22LR, that distance makes a big difference. Your CZ455 16” is NOT giving you 1,373 fps with CCI SV. And you have not trued your ballistic curve if that’s what you are using.

Believe me or not, I don’t care, but do yourself a favor and measure your muzzle velocity. Check all of your ballistic inputs twice. Each one has a much greater affect on the true ballistic curve and results than you think.

Also, be careful when you enter the environmental information for zero and then adjust for the environmental info the place and day you are shooting. Your hits at distance will improve.
So out of my buddies 452 I shot for a little while the truing velocity was pretty close to what was on the box. When I changed over and started shooting my gun the truing velocity was WAY higher. And it turns out you were correct as to why. My scope height was set in cm for some reason... Changed it to inch and reset. Now shooting at 50 and 110 changes my truing velocity to 1104. I shot 50, 110, 200, 300 and 400 yards. The elevation hold was perfext.

I am just trying to get back up to do some precision shooting with my modded CZ 452. Would having a chronographer help me dial in my ammo selection or can the stats be found online, or can I rely on DOPE and software to estimate the numbers for different ammo?

I was trying out Ely and Lapua yesterday and at 100 yards and needed 2 more mils of elevation to hit on target. How many of you have a chrony to help evaluate your factory ammo for precision shooting? I don't reload or plan on doing so anytime soon.
I think its extremely helpful. I shoot sand while I lot test, if I like what I see then I go to targets. Shoot Eley match wondering why no good groups, I was shooting super sonic it took the chronograph to tell me that, I can only shoot Match under 1066. I shoot a lot of R50's out of Annie and Vudoo the chrono tells me which ones they like best. My 2c
Fred

I think its extremely helpful. I shoot sand while I lot test, if I like what I see then I go to targets. Shoot Eley match wondering why no good groups, I was shooting super sonic it took the chronograph to tell me that, I can only shoot Match under 1066. I shoot a lot of R50's out of Annie and Vudoo the chrono tells me which ones they like best. My 2c
Fred
Do you find a different range of FPS out of different guns? Obviously depending on barrel length the FPS will vary but does one gun have a lower SD than the other with the same ammo? Is that what you mean by "the chrono telling you which one they like the best"?

Someone who knows how to use all their gear is going to be at an advantage should it go down. They already understand how their gun shoots, probably have most of the drops memorized or at least are close, and can easily get the rough dope if needed. Levels are a tool and really only needed for long shots with wind holds or reticle holds. Red dots help you aquire the targets faster so when you go into the scope, you are on target, saving time.

This type of dumbshit low IQ attitude is just jealousy because they can't afford or won't buy the gear to give them the best chance at success.

Only a fucking moron would not use things that increase their chance of success.

All of these things that are an advantage for PRS shooters, are also an advantage for Military, LEO or Hunters. Which is why the PRS game tech is the cutting edge and the rest of them follow suit on almost everything.

You should post up your National scores so you can show all the people using levels, red dots and chronos how fucking stupid they are.

yeah buddy! hit a nerve. I think you are missing the point. I'll refrain from the name calling, did you really need to do that? If you got the point, you would understand the clown reference.

Reactions: lash
Do you find a different range of FPS out of different guns? Obviously depending on barrel length the FPS will vary but does one gun have a lower SD than the other with the same ammo? Is that what you mean by "the chrono telling you which one they like the best"?
Yes and no. What you will find with .22 ammo, since that is the sub-forum we’re in and what the OP was asking about, is that even different lots of the same ammo can and will give different results in the same gun/barrel. Sometimes this is ever so evident, like huge groups at 50y versus bughole groups. Other times it is very evident when chronoed, with SDs varying from single digits to very high double digits.

Short story. A couple guys that shoot my matches and are top 3 regularly were testing new lots of the same match ammo that they each had purchased. One guy found that his new lot of 5,000 rounds shot tremendously terrible when compared to the lot he had been using and was out of. Like 1-1/2” groups at 50y vs ragged holes with the old lot.

Other guy found that the ES/SD sucked on his new lot (of same ammo) and that the groups didn’t look bad at 50y, but the ES/SD was horrible, with and 80 fps spread. At 300 yards, that makes a big difference between a hit and a miss.

Bottom line - they tried each other’s lots of ammo and then traded. Sounds freaking made up, but it is not. I was there, using one of their Labradar’s to gather some good info myself.

I think that addresses your question.

ETA: they traded because the opposite lots worked great in each other’s rifles.

<per captain obvious>