• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes How hard is it for Leupold to fix a canted reticle

shawn_40312

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2005
Beattyville, Ky
Apparently pretty hard. Sent in a Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10x40mm m3 due to canted reticle, received the scope after a month of waiting. The reticle is still canted. I knew i should of went with Nightforce.

Re: How hard is it for Leupold to fix a canted ret

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">send it back.....simple </div></div>

You would think it would be fixed the first time.

Sent my Mark 4 in for canted reticle, had it back and repaired in 2 weeks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Idaho</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sent my Mark 4 in for canted reticle, had it back and repaired in 2 weeks. </div></div>

Someone must not like me over there
smile.gif

Im with you, that would piss me right off !!

Should call them and do the pissedd off customer thing and see if you can get a new scope !?!?

Last report I heard was Leupold considers up to a 3% cant within specifications. Sad.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Just Roy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Last report I heard was Leupold considers up to a 3% cant within specifications. Sad.</div></div>

Unfortunately canted reticles are not uncommon within the Leupold lineup. Evidently they think that their customers can't tell the difference or they just don't care!

And yes, I've got it in for Leupold, but that shouldn't obscure the truth.

When you call Leupold customer service ask for Garth Kendig, if he's still there. Garth had been tremendously helpful to customers with service problems in the past - he's one of the good guys. If anybody at Leupold can get your problem rectified he'd be the one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> When you call Leupold customer service ask for Garth Kendig, if he's still there. Garth had been tremendously helpful to customers with service problems in the past - he's one of the good guys. If anybody at Leupold can get your problem rectified he'd be the one. </div></div>

+1000 ... i have dealt with Garth before... great guy!

Re: How hard is it for Leupold to fix a canted reticle

Hey...lots of people like them like that. If you don't believe me, just drop by any hunting camp down here and look through any dozen rifles you pick up. 95% of them won't be level. And, if you ask, 60% of the owners haven't sighted them in...saying, "They were boresighted when the scope was mounted and I haven't changed anything".

I'd send it back to where you bought it and get a replacement. A defective scope shouldn't be "repaired" under the terms of a warranty, it should be replaced immediately by the retailer.

In another thread I posted the recent article from Accurateshooter.com about canted reticles.

So it IS Leupold that considers 3 degrees to be GTG? GAKKK!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SpotcheckBilly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Unfortunately canted reticles are not uncommon within the Leupold lineup. Evidently they think that their customers can't tell the difference or they just don't care!

</div></div>

Why I bet they do it on purpose just to be spiteful!

cry.gif

Another update, just noticed that someone at Leupold put a good sized ding in the bell housing on my scope. The scope was like Nib when i sent it out to them. I have requested another scope to replace this defective one but im probably SOL.

Update- They want it back, sent an electronic ups tag, so ive sent it back. We will see what happens......

Not saying they dont have some problems with their products from time to time, but their customer service has always been top notch any time I've dealt with them.

mark of a truly GOOD product:not having to USE their 'excellent customer' service.

A bit off base, but if a reticle is squared to a plumb line it shouldn't matter if it's canted???? Is this right or wrong, or does it presumbably screw up tracking repeatability?

My .02. If everyone else sold as many scopes as Leupold, you would see more issues with others. I was shocked when I witnessed there output and that was a couple years ago. I have since heard that has increased greatly.

Not saying I think there 3 degree is acceptable.

I have had one out of 12 MK4's that were canted, and they knocked it out in 2.5 weeks, and one that had a spec or two on the inside of the lens. That one was fixed and returned quickly as well.

Now, with that said, I have this issue with setting up scopes and what I see as level compared to others. Hell, I may have more that are canted. Don't get me thinking about it, I will have to reset them all! What a mess.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: distantfoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A bit off base, but if a reticle is squared to a plumb line it shouldn't matter if it's canted???? Is this right or wrong, or does it presumbably screw up tracking repeatability? </div></div>

If the reticle and scope turrets are not on the same plane, the scope will not track correctly if you level only the reticle. As you dial more elevation on the scope, you will have a horizontal component, which will move your impact left or right as well.

If you level the scope using LL's feeler gauge method, the reticle will still be canted when you look through the scope, but any elevation or windage dialed should be correct.

Another update:

Service Information
Product Description: Mark 4 3.5-10x40mm LR/T M1 Serial Number: 122050M

Service Description

Charge

Customer Requests
Damaged Maintube Finish
Canted Reticle
Service Activity
Replaced Maintube $0.00

Lets hope they get this scope fixed and shipped back to me a second time before anything else happens to it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kombar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: distantfoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A bit off base, but if a reticle is squared to a plumb line it shouldn't matter if it's canted???? Is this right or wrong, or does it presumbably screw up tracking repeatability? </div></div>

If the reticle and scope turrets are not on the same plane, the scope will not track correctly if you level only the reticle. As you dial more elevation on the scope, you will have a horizontal component, which will move your impact left or right as well.

If you level the scope using LL's feeler gauge method, the reticle will still be canted when you look through the scope, but any elevation or windage dialed should be correct. </div></div>

What happens when you holdover for a shot?

Leupold will never get any more of my money. they have had crappy customer service with me more than once and if they can't keep a reticle straight, why would I want to buy them. HELL, I have 10X Bushnell 3200 that have a square reticle. You would think a thousand+ dollar scope could compete with that.

As far as i'm concerned Leupold can go to hell! 2/3 of their scopes are canter like that, they know it and they don't care. Buy NF, they are the best bang for the buck. IOR makes some good ones also. I'll never buy anything they make again.

Looks like they are shipping it back to me. They fixed the dent they put it in and suppost to have fixed the canted reticle, we shall see in a week.

To add further fuel to the fire- I just spoke with a very friendly and VERY knowledgeable guy at Badger Ordnance. He was telling about how most of the Mark 4 models are basically relabeled Vari X IIIs- they just piggy backed off the reputation, and the only true mil grade ones are the M3 from the M24 and the fixed 16X.

Thoughts/further knowledge?

You sure your base, and reciever screw holes are GTG?.

Please keep us up to date and take another pic of the recticle when it comes back. I was curious about buying a leupold, but now.....
crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RussW1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Leupold will never get any more of my money. they have had crappy customer service with me more than once and if they can't keep a reticle straight, why would I want to buy them. </div></div>

Russ, I can't blame them for not wanting to fix bite marks on your scope.

MK4 M1's(10x), and (6x), when made, also in the mix..................

between this and their way of doing business (sicking the lawyers on everyone and turning on their own sub-contractors), I will never send them a dime. I'm sure they have good people there, but they have some morons that spoil it too.

shoulda bought a nightforce...

Well, i received the scope back today. They replaced the main tube and moved the reticle more. So far it has been moved 4 degrees and it could still use another degree or two but i will pass on sending it back a third time. The scope passes my expectations but it has left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Not sure if i will purchase another Leupold product in the future.

Yeah I am moving closer and closer to switching my M4 3.5-10 for a USO ST-10. Lifetime warranty sort of takes on a different meaning when monkeys are honoring it
wink.gif

Well I just ordered a Leupold MK4 #60015 just because it was $300 cheaper than a NF that I was looking at. Even though this thread has me worried, I need to find out myself. If it has problems it will keep going back until they get it fixed.

Think the thread deserves pictures of the "supposedly" repaired scope so the viewing public can draw their own conclusions.... How did you come up with the 4 degrees of shift? Glad you've reached a resolution on the scope. Thanks!

ETA - I've owned/own 5 Leupold Tactical models (all pre-MkIV) with the black ring, all 4.5x14x50mm with USMC Mildot reticles... all have worked as advertised so far, but that is also a very slim market sample of what I consider to be their best variables.... Just recently stepped down & bought a Redfield Widefield Accu-Range 3x9 with the tombstone reticle and am pretty impressed with the brightness & the wider field of view!! Surprised the "widefield" never really caught on???

I think their problem is not so much in product manufacturing as it is in support quality control. My first Leupold, which turned out to be operating just fine, got MANGLED by their repair team. I had sent it in to fix a zero problem (many threads on this, go to gunsmithing and search for my name for many fine tales
smile.gif
). They took the scope apart to inspect and reconstructed it for me, after supposedly passing their "tests". Lord, what I got back. Double reticle, dirt in the tube, decreased visual quality. It was like a trinket. I sent it back fuming and they ended up sending me a new one.

I think the stuff coming off the production line is decent (not great- decent), but that their after-the-sale capabilities are piss poor. They don't get things technically, and are far from careful in what they're doing. Hence my comment on a lifetime warranty honored by monkeys
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wild Bill C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Think the thread deserves pictures of the "supposedly" repaired scope so the viewing public can draw their own conclusions.... How did you come up with the 4 degrees of shift? Glad you've reached a resolution on the scope. Thanks!

ETA - I've owned/own 5 Leupold Tactical models (all pre-MkIV) with the black ring, all 4.5x14x50mm with USMC Mildot reticles... all have worked as advertised so far, but that is also a very slim market sample of what I consider to be their best variables.... Just recently stepped down & bought a Redfield Widefield Accu-Range 3x9 with the tombstone reticle and am pretty impressed with the brightness & the wider field of view!! Surprised the "widefield" never really caught on??? </div></div>

Leupold sends a repair sheet stating what they have done. The first time the scope went back, it was moved 3 degrees to the left. The second time it was returned they moved it another degree. Leupold damaged the maintube during the first repair and replaced it with a new serialized one the second time around. I have owned Leupolds in the past(an m1 and custom m2) without any issues. Im guessing the qc is just getting bad as of lately.

All things said and done; if you want to be sure of a perfect reticle coming back from Leupold, why not pay them for a new or custom reticle?

Leupold is one of the few companies that will change your reticle for a nominal fee. And yes, I figure $135 to change a glass-etched reticle in a 30mm scope is "nominal" since it includes return shipping and insurance. If you have a 1" scope, the reticle changeover cost is much cheaper. Seems like you can even get them to do custom dots and stadia lines for holdover if you really want a tailor-made product.

Seems like a 1" reticle changeover costs about $50. If you want to be sure of getting what you expect, consider that option.

/me sees the debate now begin over "Why should I have to pay for their fuckups?" vs. "It's an easy and cheap fix"

/me sits back with popcorn
smile.gif