• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing How hard is it to modify a rimmed bolt to accept a rimless cartridge?

acebanana

Obi Wan Kanobi
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Just wondering if anyone has ever done it or theoretically how hard would it be to modify a bolt (91/30 for this example) for a rimmed cartridge to use a rimless cartridge? Would the bolt be the least of your worries, or the hardest part?

Depends which case head you want to switch to. I converted one to shoot the larger rimmed 45-70 and it wasn't terribly difficult. I've also done one to shoot 22-250 and that required nothing to get it to properly extract and eject but it did take a bunch of fiddling to get it to feed from the magazine.

Well I really haven't narrowed down any calibers or if I'd rather just stick with 54R. It did seem like a fun little project to have a 6.5 Grendel though, I found that the grendel has a 0.4449" rim and 0.378" in the "groove". I'm thinking this is a bit smaller than the 54R, would the bolt head need to be filled in somehow?