• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing How hard to take a barrel from R700 and....

Re: How hard to take a barrel from R700 and....

So the Badger m2008 action has a 1 1/16- 16(3A) pitch thread.(Barrel Thread: 1 1/16” X 16 3A, 1.37” long) copied from badgers sight. The 3A is a class of threads that holds a very precise tolerence. The remington uses the same thread pitch but I can't state for certain what class threads are on your barrel. To answer your question, your smith should be able to do it with no trouble.

Thanks, I have a Palma barrel so there is enough shank to cut it off and start over with a complete thread and rechamber.

I am mainly wondering if I can avoid the rechamber.

Gunsmith said it can likely be done with a palma barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Big Dog Steel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like a really bad idea, IMHO. </div></div>

I find that if someone qualifies their opinion it has more of an effect and could benifit everyone with the experience behind the statement.

Why put a factory barrel on a custom action...is it a 5R barrel?

Given how quickly a barrel can be acquired and put on, why not just order a new barrel and have it installed? You'd get greater accuracy and longer shooting sessions before heat breaks down the group size.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seanh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why put a factory barrel on a custom action...is it a 5R barrel?

Given how quickly a barrel can be acquired and put on, why not just order a new barrel and have it installed? You'd get greater accuracy and longer shooting sessions before heat breaks down the group size. </div></div>
He said its a palma barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seanh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why put a factory barrel on a custom action...is it a 5R barrel?

Given how quickly a barrel can be acquired and put on, why not just order a new barrel and have it installed? You'd get greater accuracy and longer shooting sessions before heat breaks down the group size. </div></div>

How quickly can he get this custom barrel? How much will this cost him to do what you propose? Is it possible he has access to some stuff at a good price and is working off a tight budget? Thing are getting clearer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks, I have a Palma barrel so there is enough shank to cut it off and start over with a complete thread and rechamber.

I am mainly wondering if I can avoid the rechamber.</div></div>
your plan will work,....... but you gotta rechamber.....
bill larson

I'm also interested in where I could obtain a new quality barrel quickly? I haven't contacted a lot of companies but the few I contacted in regards to an AR15 barrel gave me estimates between 4 to 9 months. I'd honestly like to know so I could get a couple barrels some time soon instead of waiting months.

I currently have the barreled action for sale in here on the hide. I was contemplating stripping the barrel from it and having it fit to my Badger M2008.

Since it's a #17 Krieger Palma barrel it has enough shank to cut the chamber/threads off and start over. That's what my gunsmith told me.

I love the barrel... it's a shooter but I want to go to using AW mags only so that's why I'm selling the rifle. I'll buy another barrel if it sells.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: acebanana</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'm also interested in where I could obtain a new quality barrel quickly? I haven't contacted a lot of companies but the few I contacted in regards to an AR15 barrel gave me estimates between 4 to 9 months. I'd honestly like to know so I could get a couple barrels some time soon instead of waiting months. </div></div>

These are barrel blanks... if you want AR15 barrels these days you're likely SOL for now.

http://store.thirdgenerationshootingsupply.com/browse.cfm/2,5113.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: acebanana</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'm also interested in where I could obtain a new quality barrel quickly? I haven't contacted a lot of companies but the few I contacted in regards to an AR15 barrel gave me estimates between 4 to 9 months. I'd honestly like to know so I could get a couple barrels some time soon instead of waiting months. </div></div>

These are barrel blanks... if you want AR15 barrels these days you're likely SOL for now.

http://store.thirdgenerationshootingsupply.com/browse.cfm/2,5113.html </div></div>

LOL... Didn't look at stock available before posting that link, did you...
.224's. 0
.264's. 0
.308's. 0

I say if it's got a long enough shank, turn it , chase the threads to the right length, and go for it. Worst case; you need to rechamber it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beyschaefer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: acebanana</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

http://store.thirdgenerationshootingsupply.com/browse.cfm/2,5113.html </div></div>

LOL... Didn't look at stock available before posting that link, did you...
.224's. 0
.264's. 0
.308's. 0

I say if it's got a long enough shank, turn it , chase the threads to the right length, and go for it. Worst case; you need to rechamber it. </div></div>

I did look... they have 6mm barrels and they're ALL the rage right now.... hahha.