• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How heavy is too heavy?

srv656s

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2005
KC, MO
So I got my new rifle from yesterday and I love it except for the weight. It's a heavy rifle with everything attached (scope, suppressor, bipod, etc), weighs in at around 18.5 lbs according to my bathroom scale.

I don't know how well I'd be able to take a shot offhand, it's tough to hold up for very long. For most of the shooting I do prone or supported, it's not a big deal, but I'm a little concerned I won't be able to take offhand shots.

It's a .308, and I'm guessing I won't even feel the recoil.

So I'm curious what weight range to shoot for to have a rifle that's manageable and fieldable (is that a word)?

I'll post some pics after I hit the range Sunday-

Shawn

Re: How heavy is too heavy?

That is actually a fairly common weight. The answer to how heavy is to heavy really depends on you. If it seems un-gainly to you or is hard to fire, then it is too heavy.

If you need to be able to take offhand shots, it may be worth lightening her up a bit.

You will still feel recoil at that weight, not uncontrolable, but noticable. How you drive it will still have a big bearing in that reguard.

18.5 is on the heavy side. But you do have a lot of stuff on it. A can makes the weight feel more out front, and does make it more difficult shooting off hand. Both of my match rifles come in at 13.5-14 lbs with all gear on it.

My AIAW weighs in around the same with Scope/mount, bipod, monopod, 10 rnds loaded. Too heavy for off-hand shooting or for stalking but fine for prone supported (which is most of what I use it for).

FWIW if I was looking for a rifle for predominantly offhand shots, personally I'd try to keep it down to a maximum of around half this weight

My rifle in an AICS chassis weighs in close to yours...without the supressor. Sling up and see if you can build a good natural point of aim that doesnt require the use of a whole lot of upper body muscle strength to stabilize the weapon. It can be done

How heavy is too heavy,hmmm.lets see imo if it takes a block and tackle to move the the rifle from prone to the bench then that is proably to heavy.lol,for me 12to 14 lbs.is pretty good,weight is your friend for recoil,shot follow up,etc.
I think the weight issue is everyones own personal choice whats to heavy for one may in fact feel light to another.
How heavy is to heavy is, in all reality a kind of hard question to ask.What it all boils down to is what you are using it for,long set shots on coyotes,bench paper punching,f-class,hunting,walk around rifle,etc.the list goes on and on.
If you think about it im sure you already know the awnser to your question.

weight vs wear on you and less the ammo ,other gear you will carry !try to set at 10/12 pounds +/- 1 pound !

Two things are going to answer your question:

1. Mission
2. Skill

If it's a bench or competition rifle you may be fine. If it's a hunting rifle you may not be. If you know how to sling up and get a proper offhand position you may be OK. If you don't you will probably have muscle tremors very fast.

I try to keep my rifles light enough for comfortable offhand because you never know when you may have to take a shot RIGHT NOW. I have no clue how much my rifle weighs because I don't compete with any weight classes and I really never cared. The M40A1 was quoted at 14.5 lbs. To me that is about the upper limit for an "all around" tactical rifle.

Twirling a batton isnt good weight training
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Twirling a batton isnt good weight training
grin.gif
</div></div>

Now that's funny!

I like heavy, as I'm not a hunter. Offhand heavy is good considering it should only be used as a position of last resort when trying to make a good shot.

Well, what are you going to be using it for?

Also, what are the specs on the rifle?

Some easy ways to trim weight would be to use some kind of QD system for your bipod or suppressor, a lighter scope/rail/ring combo, and of course, you could always cut down and/or flute the bbl for a pound here and a pound there

If you're planning on shooting offhand a lot, you've got the wrong rifle. If you're not and you have to anyway, the NRA standing position with the upper arm braced against the upper body can help a lot with support. Working out with gallon milk jugs full of water at arm's length helps build needed strength. Rifle balance need to be tuned so it's not excessively barrel heavy.

Greg

That is way too heavy for offhand shots, which you may have to do in a hunting situation. A heavy precision rifle is not designed to be fired offhand. Either stick to supported shooting or get a lighter rifle for hunting. My 5R comes in at 12 pounds with scope and bipod and feels like 120 pounds compared to my Ruger 77.

The AR I saw a 60 something year old gentleman shooting the other day felt like 30 lbs to me. He had the HG and stock filled with lead to weight it. Made his off hand high power shooting more stable. With irons. It can be done.

Remember if its too heavy to lift. It's to heavy. How simple is that..

Like I said in my original post, most of my shooting is going to be prone or from a bench (most of the ranges around here force you to use the bench). I was just worried it'd be almost impossible to take a good shot offhand with the weight on this beast.

I practiced dry firing a bit last night and I think it will be possible, but definitely not as easy as it was with my 700P.

Shawn

Shawn,

In my opinion, you should never, ever underestimate what gun handling can do to acclimate you to the rifle.

I have seen numerous shooters that weight under 125 lbs. shoot rifles up to 20 lbs. in various positions including offhand. They keep their hands on their equipment a lot and practice good fundementals. I have likewise seen linebacker type guys that could throw a car over the back fence but couldn't hold an 8 lb. rifle steady. It's all about developing those few muscle sets.

Another parallel is Archery where you see little wormy girls holding steady with 40 to 60# (draw weight) bows. They sure as heck aren't massive in the muscle and frame department but they have zero problems handling their equipment.

While your rifle is not a lightweight by any means, I would say it's on the high end of average these days.

Here is something that I believe in with all my soul and have said it before: When it's time to break your shot, every ounce on that rifle is your friend. With all other things being equal, a heavy rifle will outshoot a lighter twin every time.. . positively . . for sure.

I understand that you have to draw a reasonable line between weight and portability but it will be different for each person and for each discipline.

There are really very few muscle groups you use to hold position when using a good bone support offhand setup. You can go to the gym everyday and still have minimal impact on your comfort and success holding a steady offhand. The muscle sets used are fairly specialized and isolated for that particular activity.

Everytime you pick up that rifle, you are programing your mind and muscles to be familiar with it. If you are relatively healthy and stay with any type of consistency in dryfiring from different positions, you will be handling the rifle with much less difficulty in short order.

Hope this encourages you.

Best,
Terry

I always thought that any bbl much heavier than a Rem 700 PSS/Varmint conyour (unless it was fluted) was overkill on a "sniper rifle" asuming caliber was 308 or less. Stock design has much to do with bbl weight also. An M40 #7 contour in a HTG stock is WAYYY too muzzle heavy in my opinion. But I guess it boils down to whatever you are comfortable with!

add as much wight to your rifle as possible. Anything you can tie to it, do it, then practice offhand dry firing on a frequent basis.

Like Mr. Cross said, there are few muscles that are beng used during an offhand hold. Its like shooting a bow, exactly, if you dont do it, and suddenly get into it, you will feel muslces you didnt even know you had.

Practice heavier, and when you have to do it under regular wieght, if will feel great.

My rifle was 15 lbs without anything attached to it. I wouldn't carry it through the woods for an extensive hunting trip, but for anything else I'm glad I have it.