• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk How important is a wider flat bottom

DangerRanger

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2018
East
I picked up a bergara bmp for my first match and it shoots really well. Overall I like it very much but I’m conscerned about how not wide the bottom flat is. Maybe an inch, then it’s angled like a octagon to the flat sides
E9924244-C1A3-4F2A-AEC8-FBFD9CE1B716.jpeg

You can see it some in this photo, the bottom flat is only as wide as say a pic rail section for my bipod.

Because of this it seems a little tippy when I’m my ag bag side to side.

I have a habit of overly concentrating on small gear issues. So far my only idea is to get a 12” arca rail and arca to pic adapter for my bipod, so that’s an extra 230$

Is that worth it before my first match or should I just wait and shoot the thing and see how much it holds me back?

I picked up a bergara bmp for my first match and it shoots really well. Overall I like it very much but I’m conscerned about how not wide the bottom flat is. Maybe an inch, then it’s angled like a octagon to the flat sidesView attachment 7868732

You can see it some in this photo, the bottom flat is only as wide as say a pic rail section for my bipod.

Because of this it seems a little tippy when I’m my ag bag side to side.

I have a habit of overly concentrating on small gear issues. So far my only idea is to get a 12” arca rail and arca to pic adapter for my bipod, so that’s an extra 230$

Is that worth it before my first match or should I just wait and shoot the thing and see how much it holds me back?
You need to shoot it as is and do everything you can to make it work.

Only after that should you spend money on fixing what really doesn't work.

Skill > gear

Practice with it until it’s a problem. It will not be the first thing holding you back. Buy ammo and training, not gadgets. Eventually an arca rail/bipod might be nice to have but if you can execute the fundamentals well from any position, you can win with exactly what you have in the picture.

Better uses of your $$$:

Riflekraft.com subscription including
Chris Way’s Unconventional Skills Assessment class

JTAC class

Subscription to MDS/MDR online training content by Phil/Caylen.

AR type forearms are never going to be very good off a GC/PRS type shooting bag. FYI You can buy MLOK nuts from magpul for $5/a set and simply bolt on a wider piece of metal (or plastic, or wood, etc) (eg a 1.5x12"), and test the difference on your GC without spending $250.

Reactions: DangerRanger
AR type forearms are never going to be very good off a GC/PRS type shooting bag. FYI You can buy MLOK nuts from magpul for $5/a set and simply bolt on a wider piece of metal (or plastic, or wood, etc) (eg a 1.5x12"), and test the difference on your GC without spending $250.
Great idea for a fun weekend project! Should be able to do that for like 20$

Reactions: ma smith
While I agree with everyone's recommendation for training, training, and more training. Also practice, practice, and more practice. A wide front end and a flat front end is certainly helpful. In my F-Class setup I have a 3" wide front end with a front rest that clamps over the edges of the front end. On my PRS setup I have a 2 1/4" front end with arca rail to prevent any roll in the bag and keep the rifle as flat and level as possible without having to adjust it as much when setting up for a shot.

First thing I did to my rimfire rifle (CZ455 VPT) was add an Arca rail to the bottom. That helped me get more stable on barricades. Then I tried a squad mate’s D-bag w/ Arca clamp. The result was even more stable. Plus it gave me something to grab with my support hand to help clamp the gun/bag to the barricade. So I’m sold on the concept.

As already stated, you’ll want to learn how to build stable positions and such.

And then it becomes a balance of necessity and personal preference. In the past the whole “you could give X shooter an rpr and he would still win” were absolutely true. Now, not as much.

You have to have the skill to win. But when you take someone with equal skill (or sometimes slightly lesser) and give one a 1.5” forend rifle that weighs 16lbs and the other a 2.5” or gamer plate rifle that weighs 22lbs, the gear will make the difference. Even if in the amount of effort the two shooters how to put into building a stable position.

But, things get to a point where (making this up completely for an example) a 20lb rifle will do the same as a 22lb rifle. But the 18lb rifle had a disadvantage.

Your personal preference may be for the balance on the 22lb even though on paper it doesn’t increase your stability over the 20lb enough to matter.

Same with forend length. You may find your 22lb 1.5” wide rifle gets you the same or close to the same results as a 2.5” rifle. Or at least most of the time. And you keep a gamer plate in the pack for unusually harder to get stable stages.

There’s also drawbacks to wider rifles. You have to work harder to get the cant out. Especially with gamer plates. So, if the added stability doesn’t outweigh the convenience of mobility, you don’t want it wider.

Will a wider forend be more laterally stable than a thinner? Absolutely. How much more and the worth is debatable and personal preference at a certain point.

So if an old guy that's more interested in "practical" shooting versus "gaming" was considering dabbling in PRS type matches (just for fun), which rifle would be the better platform; an AIAX or an AIAT? I'm confident there are better platforms available for those interested in racing, but I'd prefer to go with something already in the safe. Thanks.

So if an old guy that's more interested in "practical" shooting versus "gaming" was considering dabbling in PRS type matches (just for fun), which rifle would be the better platform; an AIAX or an AIAT? I'm confident there are better platforms available for those interested in racing, but I'd prefer to go with something already in the safe. Thanks.
AX. Its not ideal but that what i run when im not running a gamer setup

Get Sawtooth weights/Arca/Rear Bag Rider and that’ll make the AX as competitive as 90% of what you’ll find at a match

Area 419 ARCA Plate. You can use it as just a plate or attach numerous bags to it.

iu

iu

iu

My personal favorite.

iu

Reactions: st1650

I find the AT is easier to shoot in positions that require a bag similar to prs scenarios.

Even though it’s now mainly a game, the positions in prs still mimic positions you will run into in the field.

I personally think the AT is the best all around rifle on the market. When not taking into account speciality needs (gamer rifles are now IMO, speciality rifles).

Just made a "gamer" plate. But really I will use it more on my tripod with using binos/rangefinder and shooting off a bag. It needs some paint but it was super solid on the gun. I need to order the double arca adapter to run it on my tripod.

Attachments

• D28E8A78-EFAD-4F92-9FF0-701039C4D442.jpeg
    D28E8A78-EFAD-4F92-9FF0-701039C4D442.jpeg
    629.5 KB · Views: 36
  • EC74752F-F642-4D90-B5AE-282ABB6689F1.jpeg
    EC74752F-F642-4D90-B5AE-282ABB6689F1.jpeg
    651.3 KB · Views: 28
Reactions: ECK