• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How important is consistent cheek weld?

LostInTranslation

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2020
In multiple places I've read over and over how important consistent cheek weld is (part of consistency is everything). I am sharing my precision 22lr w/ kids for range days and have to adjust stock back and forth and while I try to return to same position - it does introduce "some" variance. This made me wonder - from physics perspective - if parallax, diopter adjustments are properly done AND one positions himself within scope eye box - how do minor variations of where you place your cheek on stock impact accuracy?

(I have chassis based Bergara 22lr w/ 5-25 scope, shooting mostly at 100 yards)

Thank you

It makes “huge” differences when shooting precision and/or long range. Smallbore competition drives exacting repetition in order to shoot the kind of scores these competitors shoot.

That said, you’re working with kids. Keep the targets small enough to be a little challenging but large enough that they can consistently hit. Safety is of course rule #1 but keeping it fun (IMO) is where it’s at with working with kids.

A little story...

I started my daughter off at 5 with a Red Ryder. At 7 she started shouting steel Silhouette with a 10-22 and a couple bolt action 22s, rested.

We started shooting 1K F class at 8 Years old with my 6BR but at about 10 I pushed her a little to hard and she didn’t shoot again for 8-10 years. Thankfully when she started college she picked it back up and we competed together for 5-6 years part time. I looked back to a time when her, my buddy Rusty and I were shooting crab apples lined up on a 2x4 and the shit eating grin she had when they blew up off that plank or when she was 7 and knocking down tiny steel hogs and tried to keep it light, like that, until she shot well enough out of a sling that she started being competitive and her natural drive to win started to take over. Now, she talks shit as well as any highpower shooter out there ;)

"It makes “huge” differences"^^^^ Not only for parallax but, in how the rifle is held for consistent recoil, trigger pull, and butt pad in shoulder placement.

From a scope properly adj. for parallax and focus I haven't had much variance, much forgiving. (leadsled) Kids starting won't appreciate iron sight discipline, though, in the long run it forces no sloppiness.