• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes how important is illumination to you?

tarheel7734

Quiet Professional
Minuteman
  • May 25, 2014
    Asheville NC
    So in budget optics from 1k-2k use how important is illumination to you? For a precision rifle I have never run illumination, just night vision or thermal in the military. Now I am building a civilian rifle I am trying to figure if I need illumination or not. Yiu get more features for less without it and there are some bad illumination out there.

I like it for shooting into dark backgrounds I personally think its very important for shooting at dawn or dusk, and if you ever like to shoot at targets at close range you can keep both eyes open and shoot, even with a high magnification scope the illumination helps you keep the reticle on target...

I like it hate changing the batteries when other leave them on over night , but it's not a deal breaker for me as long as I can see the ret I usually pretty good .

I'm in your same boat, experience wise.

Apart from reflex/red dots....

In my magnified optics stable I have 3 scopes with illumination, 2 without.

1. Trijicon TA31 RCO-M4. Because its easy to use on a 16" AR, and... nostalgic 🤣

2. is a Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 with a green fire-dot. Its a 1.5-4x, second focal plane which, for me does everything I want it to. Its basically a duplex reticle a bright green center dot, with hashes at 2.5 mils then a 10 mil diameter circle. Its great because 10 mils at 200y is 6 feet. Good times. Thats on another AR.

3rd up is my hunting scope which is a Vortex Viper PST Gen II 3-15x44 with illum. I wasn't looking for illum specifically with this optic, but its nice to have so when the colors of the area make it kinda tough to see the reticle, I can crank on the illum to make it stand out compared to the scenery in the shaded areas, or other times/situations of needing to contrast the reticle with the surrounding environment.

I dont have any NV at this time.

My red light seems to help me see the non-illuminated reticle, but having it turned on is just a little better. I'd rather have it than not when after coyotes, who usually come out in low- light conditions.

I like having the option for hunting and pest control, but never used it while at the range

I have illumination on a bunch of optics. Never use it.

In over 40 years of avid big game hunting all over the northwest I've never needed it or missed it. By the time its light enough to identify my target, I can see my reticle.

I've never needed an illuminated reticle for hunting. I do see where it could be useful though. I don't see it as a deal breaker personally.

I use illumination all the time while hunting at dawn and dusk. I use it often enough that I won’t buy a scope without it. All my scopes are FFP, and several of my stands are set in areas of dark timber. So, dialing back the power in low light increases the exit pupil and helps with “image brightness” but simultaneously decreases the size of the reticle. Turn on the illumination and it’s game on no matter what the lighting condition. Super F’n nice.

Reactions: SepticDeath
    As several have pointed out it's really a personal preference. Do you "need" it? Maybe, maybe not. In my 50+ years of shooting I can't recall needing illumination that many times, even when hunting. But I don't shoot for work either.

That being said, most of my scopes ARE illuminated because I subscribe to the "better to have it and not need it" school of thought.

Reactions: Ranchhand
    Honestly, I see the benefit of illumination but honestly I've never used it on a precision rifle. I just ordered a Mk5 with no Illumination. If I was to get into night vision, I am sure that would change.

for Carbines or something considered dual use, I would go illuminated

While hunting, I switch illumination on during dawn & dusk, and I would not want to be without it.

At the range I rarely use it, but the range is only open when the sun is shining, so .........

Reactions: chase723
    I'm busy with family, two jobs, and multiple hobbies, so the only time I get to shoot is between 5 and 9 am on weekdays, sometimes same time on Saturdays. I use the illumination when it's dark in the mornings. If you don't shoot at night or low light, I'd say you don't need it.

I take the batteries out of new scopes if they come with them so I don't have to worry about the batteries corroding because I never use it.

Reactions: Birddog6424
    Def nice to have when running night vision.

Def nice to have when shooting into dark contrasted low light areas as others have pointed out.

Works great for lowlight conditions as well as bright sun. I use it all the time.

I’ve never used illumination hunting even n the woods at last light. I do have quite a few scopes that are illuminated because that’s what they came with and people like it.

In Texas, I’ve used illumination a lot, mostly for dark targets such as hogs in very low, to no light, especially on FFP optics dialed down for max FOV.

I wouldn’t buy a truck without 4x4 but don’t use it for very many miles relatively. I consider illumination the same way. It’s just nice to have from time to time. Unless you’ve already shot in every possible condition at every possible hour of the day, you just never know when you might need it.

I assume that you might be shopping for a Leupold being that it is a pretty standard feature. Being of military background grants you a good enough discount to negate the discontent, slightly.

Reactions: SepticDeath
    I wouldn’t buy a truck without 4x4 but don’t use it for very many miles relatively. I consider illumination the same way. It’s just nice to have from time to time. Unless you’ve already shot in every possible condition at every possible hour of the day, you just never know when you might need it.

I assume that you might be shopping for a Leupold being that it is a pretty standard feature. Being of military background grants you a good enough discount to negate the discontent, slightly.
    Leupold wasn't really on my radar. I have not even paid attention to current offerings from them.

I don't hunt. When I'm using a scope, it's for action shooting competition, carbine classes, or plinking at ELR (800yds+).

I think illumination is always an asset, but it's pretty rare for me to use much of it while doing ELR, unless my target happens to be on a dark-ish background that's preventing me from getting a good look at my reticle. For action shooting / carbine classes, daylight bright illumination is a huge asset. I don't think it's necessarily essential if you have a good reticle design that works around the lack of it, but a lot of scopes pretend they're daylight bright when they're not, and design their reticle accordingly (and incorrectly).

I think it depends on what you are using the optic for. Close range I would go with Illumination long range probably thermal or night vision.

we use illumination for when we are raccoon hunting with dogs and then thermal for coyotes.

Very important. Use it all the time on shot up targets and darker areas at matches. If spending over $1000 n a scope there is no reason it should not be illuminated.

Reactions: GrumpyOleFart