• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How important is rifle's balance?

Oldmauser

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2018
I would like to go beyond discussion on muzzle deflection and weight/length ratio.
Well respected gunsmiths (like A.Wheeler) as well as top f-class shooters say that balance is crucial for the rifle to properly slide in the rest and rear bag.

I find it difficul to balance a competition rifle with 24-28" 1.250" diameter barrel. If we want to have rifle balanced like Larry Potterfield suggest (i.e. 4"-5" in front of the trigger) we would have to skip the barrel's length and weight typical for competition rifles.
All my rifles are nose heavy. In order to improve the balance I would have to add 1-2kg in the buttstock. By doing that I would probably break weight limit for my class. How do you approach the rifle balance issue?

Balance needed depends on the discipline of shooting /application of the rifle. Smiths are going to set up a long range benchrest rifle different than a hunting rifle and different than a prs rifle and different than a f class rifle.

Each discipline has rules they need to conform to, ballistics they are trying to achieve, and methods of shooting that differ.

You don’t mention the class/discipline you are shooting, but you say you want (or are thinking you want) More rearward balance at the same weight. So you don’t go over weight limit. Well, the obvious option is taking weight out of the nose.

I shoot f open. I run straight profile mostly. I was thinking about a taper like heavy varmint profile. But in a chassis like mdt I don't really see significant potential to add weight to the rear.

I added about 2 pounds in the butt of my .338 to get a good balance. Sure it increased the overall weight, but now I can easily shoot it standing unsupported due to the great balance. Before, it was a chore trying to muscle the front up and stay accurate. Worth it.

As to your decision, based upon your post, you may not be able to add enough for balance. Though I personally feel that a balanced rifle is more controllable in all positions.

I plan to add 2 stainless steel bars to the buttstock. I think it can make up to 2lbs. My rifle is now 19 lbs. The barrel itself is about 6.5lbs.

I added about 2 pounds in the butt of my .338 to get a good balance. Sure it increased the overall weight, but now I can easily shoot it standing unsupported due to the great balance. Before, it was a chore trying to muscle the front up and stay accurate. Worth it.

As to your decision, based upon your post, you may not be able to add enough for balance. Though I personally feel that a balanced rifle is more controllable in all positions.
What did you use? Steel spacers? Bag rider?

I would like to go beyond discussion on muzzle deflection and weight/length ratio.
Well respected gunsmiths (like A.Wheeler) as well as top f-class shooters say that balance is crucial for the rifle to properly slide in the rest and rear bag.

I find it difficul to balance a competition rifle with 24-28" 1.250" diameter barrel. If we want to have rifle balanced like Larry Potterfield suggest (i.e. 4"-5" in front of the trigger) we would have to skip the barrel's length and weight typical for competition rifles.
All my rifles are nose heavy. In order to improve the balance I would have to add 1-2kg in the buttstock. By doing that I would probably break weight limit for my class. How do you approach the rifle balance issue?
Hey my man, these forums are geared more towards PRS and hunting so sorry folks haven't quite understood what you where getting at. If you have the ability to add some weight into your butt stock by drilling some holes in there, do it. If not, go shoot and see if you can get it to track otherwise. I had a 284 Wheeler, built by Wheeler and it was nose heavy and I never had issues getting it to track in my SEB Front and rear. Won a few matches with that set up before falling in love with PRS.

Reactions: Oldmauser
A rifle too nose heavy can have vertical issues. If you don't have vertical issues then you may be fine. I would watch the videos on Erik Cortina's you tube channel, especially the ones with "Speedy" Gonzalez. Speedy is a wealth of knowledge and the benchrest genre is whole different game.

A rifle too nose heavy can have vertical issues. If you don't have vertical issues then you may be fine. I would watch the videos on Erik Cortina's you tube channel, especially the ones with "Speedy" Gonzalez. Speedy is a wealth of knowledge and the benchrest genre is whole different game.
I think I watched all Erik's videos. As far as I recall Speedy's part was not about rifle balance, but cleaning and similar stuff. I live on the other side on the pond, I don't have a mentor. It makes my learning curve longer. frankly I don't see a reason Speedy would be willing to share his knowledge with me although we are both contributing to other forums on the web. I met many stand up guys here and I like the men's locker room atmosphere on the hide.

I think I watched all Erik's videos. As far as I recall Speedy's part was not about rifle balance, but cleaning and similar stuff. I live on the other side on the pond, I don't have a mentor. It makes my learning curve longer. frankly I don't see a reason Speedy would be willing to share his knowledge with me although we are both contributing to other forums on the web. I met many stand up guys here and I like the men's locker room atmosphere on the hide.
Your more than welcome to send me a PM, I'd be happy to share any info I have on F Class. Check out the accurate shooter forums too, same vibe, but geared towards F Class and Benchrest disciplines.