• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How it works

dave1894

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2007
IRAQ
Have done a little bit of shooting here and there, but if someone could kindly explain to me how a cartridge and it's contents "like what the primor is" and how it works. I understand you have your casing but what all is in it. All I know is that there is some sort of chain reaction that sends the bullet itself down range.

My biggest question being what are the contents inside the cartridge itself? What is the hole science behing it?

Thank you much,
Lw

Re: How it works

The brass part is referred to as the case, shell, or just brass. There is a shiny copper or silver colored circle on the bottom of the brass, that's the primer. The bullet is the pointy part. Inside the brass is the powder. When you reload, assuming the brass prep is complete, you'll press a new primer into the primer pocket, pour a measured amount of powder into the primed case, and then press the bullet into the case mouth. Then you'll load the round into the chamber of the weapon, and pull the trigger. The firing pin comes forward and hits the primer, which causes a small fire. The small fire from the primer ignites the powder, which burns and expands. The expanding gas from the powder burning pushes the bullet out of the muzzle of the weapon.

That's simplified, but that's how a bullet works.

check this out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_ballistics

In short, when the trigger is pulled the firing pin/striker is released and impacts the primer. This causes the priming compound to be crushed into the anvil located inside the primer and ignited.

The flame/gas from the primer ignition then follows a path of least resistance, through the flash hole above the primer into the cartridge body where the propellant is stored, igniting it.

The burning powder rapidly expands into a super heated gas, creating internal pressure. This pressure seeks an avenue of escape and builds until it finds it.

The pressurized, super heated and expanding gas dislodges the bullet from the cartridge case and forces the bullet into and through the barrel until the pressure is equalized at bullet exit. This is the bang and blast you hear and see as the bullet exits the barrel.

"That's simplified, but that's how a bullet works."

How "a bullet" works?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"That's simplified, but that's how a bullet works."

How "a bullet" works? </div></div>

That's how a bullet is fired.

Don't they teach that in ARMY Basic Training? Hmmmmmm?

Very good but I should of been more specific about what I was asking. Not trying to be an ass but I already knew what was mentioned above.

I am looking for a more scientific answer. Like what exactly is the powder and what is the primor made of? As far as I know the pimor could be something like impact resistant flash powder that in turns into a chain reaction setting the other powder off?

Sorry if I am confusing anyone and I should of been more specific about what I was asking about.

Thank you much,
Lw

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: foxalpha1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">? </div></div>

Sorry, I am horrible with my request on exlaining what I am asking and should of researched it before asking someone else to explain to me in a manor in which I could understand.

I was looking for more detail as to what everything was called including the propellents scientific name etc.

I will post what I found:

<span style="font-weight: bold">A considerable confusion exists between the concepts of projectile, propellant, cartridge and bullet. Here's the explanation.

<span style="color: #CC0000">Projectile</span>

The projectile is the only part of the bullet that actually leaves the gun and hits the target. The tip of the projectile hits the target. The uppermost tip of the projectile is made up of different types of alloys and is usually shaped with the help of machine tools in order to improve its aerodynamics and also increase the impact.

<span style="color: #CC0000">Propellant</span>

The propellant is the fuel that burns out, in order to power the projectile. The two types of propellants that are principally used are <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="color: #3333FF">gunpowder</span></span> and <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="color: #3333FF">cordite</span></span>.

<span style="color: #CC0000">Cartridge</span>

The cartridge is the casing that holds together all the components of the bullet. The cartridge never exits the gun through the bore. It is removed from the firing chamber after the projectile has been fired. In common revolvers, the cartridges are removed manually after a whole set of rounds has been fired.

<span style="color: #CC0000">Bullet</span>

The construction of all the five components when put together form a bullet and hence the whole bullet never leaves the gun.</span>

Cordite is not in use anymore. It came in long strings which were lopped off to fit the case and a sheaf of the "cords" were stuffed into the straight case which was then necked down to receive the bullet. Primers were fulminate of Mercury, but now are much more sophisticated with multiple contents that vary with the manufacturer. Bacarrat has a good suggestion. JMHO

"what exactly is the powder and what is the primor made of? As far as I know the pimor could be something like impact resistant flash powder ... I should of been more specific about what I was asking about."

Yeah. Asking for what you really want to know helps.

Smokeless powder is nitrocelulose and, sometimes, nitroglycerin plus some deterent coatings.

Originally primers were fulmanate of mercury and powdered glass. Later they had lead styphanate instead of mercury but that's being changed now and I don't know exactly what's being used in the "unleaded" primers today.