• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report How jump tolerant are 6.5 140 hybrids?

Lofty

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2008
Lenexa KS
I just started shooting my 6.5 CM barrel for my DTA and started working up a load using both 139 scenars and the 140 Hybrids.

I loaded up the Hybrids 10 thou off the lands and didn't realize until I got out to the range that they wouldn't feed into my DTA 308 mag. I was surprised since DTA mags are pretty long. The 139s cleared it no problem.

I had to set the bullet back another 15 thou to get it to clear reliably. So I'm jumping 25 thou now.

The 139s were giving me 2850 with 42.6 grains of 4350 and I was getting groups around or even under .25 MOA.....best shooting barrel I've ever had for this gun. So I'm tempted just to throw the 10 boxes of 140's on the shelf and stick with the 139s.

Or do the Hybrids offer any advantage in terms of BC.

The only reason I ask instead of just trying it out is because my range time is so limited with work.....I hate wasting most of my day on load development. Especially since the 139s are working so well.

Opinions?

Last edited:
Yeah I would run with the Scenars and I'll take the 140's off your hands so you don't have to look at them :)

Very jump tolerant bullet, as is the whole series of them, 6mm, 6.5, 7mm, 30 cal. Even a vld can jump a good distance.

Very jump tolerant bullet, as is the whole series of them, 6mm, 6.5, 7mm, 30 cal. Even a vld can jump a good distance.

Yeap, I am jumping the 140 vld about 100/1000's". Rifle is a GAP Crusader 6.5 Creedmor. It WILL NOT shoot them unless I jump
ALL bullets. My OAL for the 140 vld is 2.794 average.

As much as I want my rifle to like them It doesnt. I tried them in a series of different jumps and found they will only shoot .015 off in my rifle. Ive switched to the 136l's shooting .010 off. They shoot better for me in my rifle with less tweaking.

Yeap, I am jumping the 140 vld about 100/1000's". Rifle is a GAP Crusader 6.5 Creedmor. It WILL NOT shoot them unless I jump
ALL bullets. My OAL for the 140 vld is 2.794 average.

You are jumping a VLD and it shoots? I have to get them into the lands for them to shoot.

Unfortunately, this causes pressure spikes, and consequently, blown primer pockets after about 5-6 loads...this load shot extremely well, hence I was reticent to change it. If I can ever score some Remington brass again, I plan on backing the charge off, jamming the VLD, and checking those results.

My 6.5 x 47 is tolerant when it comes to the VLD's. Shoots them well @ a .005" jam or a .010" jump.

A buddies 6.5 x 284 will NOT group them well without a jam.

I'd say a guy needs to tRY and see what happens...each barrel is a law unto itself in my opinion.

The 139 Scenar-L's seem to shoot very well WHEREVER I seat them in my 6.5 x 47 Lapua.

I am jumping 140 hybrids .010 in my 6.5x47, like everyone else said, they are pretty jump tolerant. I don't know the BC of the 139s, but the BC on the hybrids are pretty bad ass, and even better if you point them.

jumped 140 hybrids .020 in my 260 and it shot great. the whole hybrid design is meant to be tolerant and not be as picky as VLD's. if you don't want them I'm sure they would sell very quickly.

You are jumping a VLD and it shoots? I have to get them into the lands for them to shoot.

Unfortunately, this causes pressure spikes, and consequently, blown primer pockets after about 5-6 loads...this load shot extremely well, hence I was reticent to change it. If I can ever score some Remington brass again, I plan on backing the charge off, jamming the VLD, and checking those results.

Yep, it's the only rifle I own that shoots them jumping. All the rest got to be snugged up. Here's my last 4 shot group at 105 yards. It was .11 moa.

Yep, it's the only rifle I own that shoots them jumping. All the rest got to be snugged up. Here's my last 4 shot group at 105 yards. It was .11 moa.

That's bad ass. I'll have to shoot a few with a jump. How far of a jump are you using?

That's bad ass. I'll have to shoot a few with a jump. How far of a jump are you using?

Well, to be honest, I am still shooting the EXACT same load I started with in terms of measuring to the ogive. 2.140 with 140 vlds and 2.125 with 140 hybrids. I tried seating them longer to make up for throat erosion but it grouped over 1/2 moa and that group I posted is smaller than the norm but its about right. I usually group in the high .1's or low .2's.
I haven't measured my throat in a while but I can tell you it's a good bit over 100/1000"'s. Yesterday I took the 140 vld out to 975 and it was grouping really good. I also shot a silhouette target at 890 and it was a 1 1/2" group + or - I was amazed. If you look closely at the silhouettes forehead , you can see one spot that has been ravaged. That's four shots back to back. Maybe the smallest LR group I ever shot.