• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes How little magnification do you use?

RayDBonz

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
OK, there are multiple threads on what people prefer as far as the high end of magnification on variable power scopes. What about the bottom end? What's the lowest power you routinely use or have needed?

Say I want a 5 - 25 power scope. Is 5x low enough? Those with a bottom end of 4x or 3.2x - do you ever use the power that low?

Re: How little magnification do you use?

If its a hunting scope I usually want something that will go pretty low for close shots but at least 10X for longer shots. Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16 is great for this.

If its just punching paper/steel at long ranges it doesn't really matter. 4-6x is decent for a low magnification range on target/tactical scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: huntinaz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What will the scope be used for? </div></div>

Let's assume it's your typical 'tactical' or precision bolt gun.

Mainly looking for input from the members here - to try and learn something. What's the lowest magnification YOU have actually used in real life? Be it on a deployment, at a competition, etc. Have you ever used the 3x setting? Or lower? Or is 5x or 6x low enough for most applications?

Reading all the posts about how much magnification is needed or used made me curious - how little do folks actually use.

Dr. Bill
I have a NXS 3.5-15x50. Most of the time at the range i use 10-15 power. If you are going to spend most of the time at the range a 5-25 will be fine but, the higher the magnification the more the target will distort when the miarge kicks up. When i am hunting i use 3.5 power for quick target acquisition then i may turn up the power if the light level permits it. The lower power with a large obj. allows more light in to give you a better sight picture. As far as 5 x power it may not be low enough at predawn/postdusk to give you a good sight picture. Hope this helps

On the low end for a comp gun, I like 5x. I use 2 NF scopes 5.5-22x56mm. When I hunt with them, I'll dial down to about 6 power. When a precision shot is needed, I have time to dial up if needed. But when a coyote (or anything else) comes running out, you won't be able to shoot him on the higher end of magnifiaction, not at common hunting distances, anyway.

For standard hunting scopes, I like a 3-10.

I use a 5.5 x 25 FFP on my 308 bolt gun for competition.
The 5.5 power has not been an issue when used for this purpose.
(I usually keep it on 10x then adjust the magnification for the course of fire.)

For an AR platform, I like a 3 x 9 power if using magnification and a reflex sight for general purpose use.

Bill. In assuming your the same Bill i shoot with down at south mtn for scotts matches. I was running a 8-32 nightforce. I would mainly use it on 8-10X. I have since switched to a 3.2-17 USO. I haven't had the chance to get out and use it yet but I'm thinking I will stay in the lower power ranges. I also just mounted up a ST10 on my .308. I'm curious to see how I like that for the matches we shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr. Bill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Let's assume it's your typical 'tactical' or precision bolt gun.
</div></div>

Night before last I was in a parking lot cursing 3.2x for not going lower. The target was an apartment building 55yards away with two windows that I had to cover on the second story. Through the glass I could not get both windows. Almost, but not quite. I really wished I could have dialed down to 2x.

The 17x was nice a couple times when I had to dial up to ID something, then back down to scan the area.

For a LE rifle the bottom end is more important than the top end so long as you have enough to ID facial features and tell the difference between a cell phone and a handgun.

I like to be able to dial down for offhand shots, shows a lot less wobble. Shot a comp Monday that had 300 yd. offhand shots on IPSC paper, dialed down to 4X and it worked great. In 3 gun comps it isn't unusal to use 1X for close up stages, some tactical matches also have some close stuff, checking to see if you know your site offset. For 25 to 600 yd. I like the USO 1.8-10. For 100 to 1200 a 3.2-17 will work fine.

I have the USO 1.8-10 on my .308. I use it for everything from 100yds to 1000yds. I like the versatility of the scope, but I do admit that I would like a lil more magnification when I stretch it out. All that means is I have to start saving my pennies againd to upgrade. Then I can move the 1.8-10 to my 40X and my ST-10 to my CZ.
smile.gif

good thread idea to help balance out the "how much mag" thread. as always everything depends on the application the scope is used for. for those basically doing benchrest shooting with a tacticool rifle, it seems there is no such thing as too much mag and it doesnt really matter about the low-end. for those doing more practical/tactical shooting, especially in LE or Mil, than as low as one can go while maintaining a decent top end seems the best and im sure they use low-end frequently. all depends on what you're trying to do.

it seems like we all want as much mag as possible for distance and as little as possible for close. so as soon as USO comes out with a 1-50x100 scope with HD glass that also plays DVD's in 1080p im all over it
smile.gif

5x seems plenty low enough for me and my needs at matches.

5x is fine for me. It's low enough for my hunting and other needs.

Depends on applications, but for hunting or fast moving targets, 5x is enough. FYI U.S. optics makes a 1.5-10x, Nightforce a 2.5-10x which are nice and more compact. Higher mag is nice for target shooting and target identification, but gets bulky and heavy.

I believe that anything below 5X just needs a quick switch out to either my Aimpoint or my eotech, if yer gangsta setup is preped for that form of change over. My experience in backwood Missouri where I'd go out with the idea of camming up or down a 3.5-10X Mark 4 for the area to be scanned never turned out that way, the reality turned out that I never left one setting. I think a good scouting trip in advance will give the determined mag range for the intended use.

i like to mount a 3-9x backwards so you can shoot the 53 yard shot on a whitetail and still feel like all snipery about it when it looks far away thru your backward scope. or what the hell, just turn the whole rifle around no need to mount differently.

I suggest you consider: min/max distance, size of target, lighting, whether the target is moving, and your scope size/weight limits. Customize your scope for the purpose.

The most important reasons for a low power might be: better low-light performance, easier to shoot a moving target, easier to acquire a target, smaller size/lighter/wgt. This is why low power is popular with hunters, especially when shooting at short distances or dangerous game. I use 2-7 & 2.5-10 for hunting and fixed 24x for F-class. Plan to use 2-5-10 for tactical matches this year: we'll see how that goes.

Cold and wet I like to dial down to 3 or 4 since it will show less wobble. Makes my mind calm down. I guess it's all just mental.