• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How long before getting a new dog

rdinak

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2003
Birmingham, AL
Lost my oldest pet after 17 years. Got a replacement in few weeks . 6 months later, the rescue dog is going Back to the shelter. she has severe emotional trauma that I am unable to help with.

in no rush trying to decide on being without a pet. I need to wait a couple months and then try again. How long do others wait.

Losing a long time pet is always crushing... Dogs rule, and 17 yrs with one is amazing.

Was your rescue dog separated from another pet that she was bonded with? How old is she? What's her background? If it's a matter of her needing someone that is home all the time, try to find her a home- because most shelters will eventually euthanize a dog that comes back with those kinds of issues.

Nothing like bringing home a new puppy to the family after losing one after 16 years, its like you start all over again . Rejuvenation begins with the new puppy with remembrance of the pass dog and his ways, you can't go wrong.......

I lost a service dog a while back that has been following me around 24 hrs a day for almost 10 years.
I've lost several pets over the years, and it's always been heartbreaking, but loosing Brandy...

Brandy and I represent VFW Post 1279 on Memorial day (2).jpeg

With tennis ball focus on Brandy slightly cropped.JPG

This has been a whole new level of misery.
She was also my first service dog.

I didn't last long, and had a new pup in less than 2 months.
Yeah, I can vouch that starting all over with a pup is a PITA.
SO much damn energy! It's like she's on crack. We did start going to classes to get her trained up to do her job, but I have suspended that for the time being as things at the VFW are insane right now. (I'm a post Commander) Hoping to get back at it here in a few weeks.

The new pup...

IMG_0035 - Copy.JPG

They just do not live long enough.
I try to plan for succession. when my "old" dog is showing the signs of aging, I get a puppy. No older than 9 weeks, no younger than 7. I have tried the rescue thing but it has only worked rarely and decided I did not want to inherit the mistakes made by the previous owner(s).
It's fun to watch the old dog teach the puppy manners and it's very interesting to watch the puppy learn other things from the old dog. Far easier to train a pup with a veteran around.
For instance, we have a miniature Dachsund that is 15 years old. He has outlived 4 other dogs. I had a GSP that died suddenly without any signs of health problems at 6 years old. I had trained the weiner dog (his pseudonym) "bang, bang" where he would flop on his back and be dead....except for the wagging tail. I would reward him with a kernel of popcorn. He will still do every trick he knows for a piece of popcorn. My bird dog observed this several times. She was intently watching and also wanted some popcorn. So I pointed my finger gun at her and said "bang, bang". She raised her ears at me, stood up and did a stiff legged flop. It was a serious thud. She just fell over. To top the trick off, her legs were stiff straight up in the air like rigor mortis and didn't even move. Of course, I praised her and had her sit and gave her the pop corn. I had NEVER done any training for this trick. She knew other stuff sit, stay, place, fetch, here, left, right, go....more...but she learned this by watching her pal get a treat.
I encourage you to get a pup ASAP and then in about 5 years, get another. Or get 2 now and another in 5. Then another every 5 years.

Dogs are a treasure.

Once in a very great while, I find a stupid and worthless dog. However, usually it's a piece of shit owner and not the dog.

Last edited:
Lost our family dog of over 15 years a few weeks ago.
He was arthritic, mostly blind, totally deaf, had a few fused legs- and decided to go on a walkabout at night down the highway. (We had been playing a few if Bidens speeches and I think it got to him.)
I'm not sure we'll replace him. My 2nd oldest has a dog that I think will be our last family pet and I'm ok with it.
So, answers span between when you finish digging, and never.

Have two rescues along with a boxer that we had since a puppy. Our first rescue is a Border Collie mix, Nina, and she is a sheer delight. Smart as a whip, full of energy, but turns it off when its time. Id take a hundred more pups like or even close to her.
Our second, a mini Australian Shepherd, Mazzie, beautiful dog, but an emotional wreck, food motivated, and puts all of her anxiety aside when food is involved, leads us to believe she was starved, or at least not regularly fed. She takes to my girl far more than I. Very alert to her surroundings and lets you know when something isn’t right and that makes her perfect for us.
I am an advocate of rescues and suggest, maybe revisit the idea, but ask if the rescue folks have anything that interests you in a foster program, this way you can get more feedback on your potential new family member from the foster family and lessen any surprises regarding behavior.
Laslty, I swear they know they have been rescued and reward you with all they have. Good luck!

We've had our last dog(s),,,,, and the statement has been made that we won't be getting any more UNLESS we're able to leave the city, live outside of town, AND have a fence.

Otherwise, it just ain't fair to the animal. I've had big dogs, and our last few were chihuahua's... (ferocious ones, for sure) but I just don't think it's fair to the animal to not have a place for them to run/do-their-thing/patrol. We gave the 'piss palace' away to another dog owner. (small gated/fenced enclosure that was 'their' spot. Otherwise, they were indoor dogs)

I think it just depends on the situation and the family but in general, the sooner the better, with the understanding it takes a few weeks to not feel like I've gone out to replace what I lost. All that said, when my boys time comes it's going to be really rough for me. He's been my kids protector and my best buddy for 12 years now and for the really big dogs, thats a very long time. I'm absolutely dreading it. He's showing signs of being old with his joints now but still in good shape. Never know though once they get that old.

We lost ours after 17 years also. Decided we were not going to do it again but a year later and now I have a new pup. He is 6 months old and a hand full right now but I am glad we did it.

It is amazing the companionship a dog can bring you.

Reactions: Milf Dots
When I lost my Layla girl in September I didn’t find another until January. I wasn’t looking hard just browsing off and on.

All mine have been rescues. “Porkchop” got tied up outside at one point with a thin rope (I think it was baling twine) so she has a scar all the way around her neck. Like to find the fucker that did that and do the same.

She’s as sweet as pie. Happy to go, happy to stay. Life is pretty empty without a dog. It was hard the 4 months without one.
IMG_8961.jpeg

I always waited no more than a month, and all of mine have been pound rescues. I've had to put down a total of 3 so far, due to old age and cancer combination.

Lost my oldest pet after 17 years. Got a replacement in few weeks . 6 months later, the rescue dog is going Back to the shelter. she has severe emotional trauma that I am unable to help with.

in no rush trying to decide on being without a pet. I need to wait a couple months and then try again. How long do others wait.
I have lost many over the years and found for me it was best to start with a puppy asap. I lost the last one last year but, will never have another as I don't want to have to go thru it again, nor do I want to worry about who will care for it, as the next one will most likely out live me.

When I lost mine, I said never again a bigger dog. If the wife wants a yapper, it will be fine.
I myself would get over the grieving process first. More for the new dog than you. New adventure, standards were set with the last one and now you're staring at one that just wants to rip the tongues off your sneakers.

When I lost mine, I said never again a bigger dog. If the wife wants a yapper, it will be fine.
I myself would get over the grieving process first. More for the new dog than you. New adventure, standards were set with the last one and now you're staring at one that just wants to rip the tongues off your sneakers.
When I lost Recon my wife said the same thing, no more big dogs. So what does she do......

This was Recon, she was a good old girl.
1710262852233.png

So the wife goes and buys Willow out of a horse trailer in a Walmart parking lot, how redneck can you get. No more big dogs was what she said.
Willow started out little and cute.
1710262950545.png

1710262983568.png

But she grew and grew, we now have a fur flying big dog again, and again she is a super sweetie. I will also say we had always done rescue dogs in the past. Willow is the first not from a shelter, her personality is very different, much more outgoing then any of my shelter dogs. I know that could be just her, but I hear from other folks the same thing. Being in puppy prison I think is hard on them....yes I am bad at taking care of her nails, she has never liked it and it is always a battle.

1710263213003.png

Here is my cat, Jade. She is 18 years old. We got her off the street of our small town.

1710266225594.jpeg

I will have to dig up somewhere pics of my old cat Misty (named after the Harold Arlen song.)

Here is Shadow. He passed away April of 2017 and was born in 2003. We got him from a friend Labor Day of 2004 when they were going to have to surrender him to a shelter.

When I told him about the big back yard and the squirrels, he was all over me.

1710266425069.jpeg

1710266454319.jpeg

I lost the dog of my youth when I was 18. We got her as a puppy when I was 5, so we truly grew up together.

I hate to say it, but I haven’t been able to love another dog. Like them, care for them, be sad when they passed, all yes, but no love.

When LWD (little white dog) goes, and he turns 16 in April, we’re done with pets altogether.

P

We just put our 13 year old boston terrier down on Saturday. She was deaf, had one eye removed a few years ago, and 99% blind in the other one. We picked up her and her “sister” the same year. We were anticipating the older two going around the same times, so we picked up two new Bostons a year and a half ago.

I think the young dogs are taking it harder than I am emotionally. They looked up to Ruby as their mother and are constantly looking for her outside where she liked to hang out in the yard.
36347E09-65D4-4982-B3CB-FAA56D59FA0F.jpeg

I would like to get another dog but the main problem is not the cat. It is the timetable of my day. I leave the house before 5 am so I can open the office and warehouse before 6 am. I am there until 2 or so. Then, I take care of some company errands. And then spend the rest of afternoon to evening with my wife at the facility where she lives. I get home around 7, on average. A dog would be all alone in the yard except for neighbor dogs and they need human companionship. Now, I might be able to get one when I retire.

Reactions: xsn10s
After the last one, it's been over 10 yrs.
I'll likely never own another pet.
I like their middle years, where their healthy and they have it down. Puppies are just cute, that's all... but a PITA.
Older dogs are like old people in need of expensive medical care and just moving around for them, is painful.
My son has pet insurance, something I didn't know was available.
So, I'll buy bullets, instead of dog food and vet bills.

I had to put ours down yesterday. He wasn't trained but virtually a service dog to my Mom. He'll be hard to replace. Some dogs we pick, some pick us, and some are a gift from God. All things in good time. I'd love to have another blessing like the one that just left us.

Last edited:
Haven't read all of the above, but have experienced the heart break of losing your best friend many times. It can come from out of the blue and your pal is gone. They become your kids. You grieve as a parent.
We have always had rescues, as they seem to be so grateful for the forever home (The big guy is here with me as I type). What we look for is a good fit with the rest of the pack and a return policy if there are problems.
Our last rescue was flown in from Texas and the organization specializes in German Shepard rescues. You go thru an extensive background check and they do much of the metrics such as behavior, temperament, ect. They want the fit to be good for you and the dog.
Don't believe the horror stories that others may tell you about rescues...........A good rescue center will have evaluated the mutt and have no problems with returns.
So far as grief goes, I guess that all handle that in their own way. For the Mrs. and I, we cry, we bury, we remember. But there is nothing like the feeling of taking in a forgotten one for your forever pal. That first meeting is priceless. Good luck in your decision.

Last edited:
I used to go to a dog forum years ago. In 2008, someone there needed some help. She was with the SSRR (Southern States Rottweiler Rescue.) This dog, also named Shadow, had his owner in Austin falling on hard times with the economy. She could no longer care for him and he had special dietary needs (he was overweight.) He was to be sent to a family to live in Nashville, Tennessee. I took two legs of the trip. I picked him up in Lancaster, just south of Dallas and drove to New Boston, just west of Texarkana. Including a gas stop, 2 hours.

Hauling ass, indeed.

He was in his new home by 7:30 pm that night.

"Eastbound and down, loaded up and truckin..."

I guess I'm of a different mindset in re: this. I believe in having my old dog's "successor" on board and at the ready, before saying goodbye to my long time companion. As I go through the grief and suffering over the loss of my old dog, I find it actually comforting to have that "battle buddy" with me and helping me through that grief. I get that this doesn't work for many if not most people, but that's my mindset on it.

Hopefully, someday, I'll be able to have at least two dogs to care for, which would resolve the issue for me. I'd then be able to take my time and find a "successor." But however it happens, I'd want to have that "battle buddy" at the ready, before it's time to say goodbye to my old companion.

I waited 6 yrs after having the last one passed away - that was hard and took time to heal up, now I have Shiba Inu who will be 4 in Sept. and decide she is my last pet.

View attachment 8371596
One time, I was at the animal care center (animal shelter) and there was a dog just like this in a pen and they only wrote "mix" for breed on the card. One of the workers was there and I said, "That is not a mix. That is a Shiba Inu."

"A what?" He did not know, but I did. No telling how long that dog had been on the run. They are a spitz dog and can run for a long time. At the time, a purebred pup was about $1,500. Who can afford to burn that kind of money and not invest in a chip and take care that he doesn't get out.

My last dog died, and I wasnt planning on anything for a few months. Less than a week later, a dog popped up locally for adoption that I clicked with, and despite over 100 people putting in for her, we were selected by the rescue. Best decision I ever made and glad I was open to deviating from my timeline.

I guess I'm of a different mindset in re: this. I believe in having my old dog's "successor" on board and at the ready, before saying goodbye to my long time companion. As I go through the grief and suffering over the loss of my old dog, I find it actually comforting to have that "battle buddy" with me and helping me through that grief. I get that this doesn't work for many if not most people, but that's my mindset on it.

Hopefully, someday, I'll be able to have at least two dogs to care for, which would resolve the issue for me. I'd then be able to take my time and find a "successor." But however it happens, I'd want to have that "battle buddy" at the ready, before it's time to say goodbye to my old companion.
Pretty much the way I view it.

We have 2 "new" dogs. They are biological sisters, same parents, one litter apart. Miniature Dachshunds. They are so much fun!! HAHA! Seriously, I agree with others that the puppy stage can be PITA but I enjoy watching the development. The youngest is not quite a year old yet.

We have a 3 year old German Wirehaired Pointer and a 16 year old Miniature Dachshund.

You guys should utube Bunny the talking dog. It might change your understanding of the dog...or not. They are far more aware of everything than most people can comprehend.

I've known people that get one the same week they lose one and some that say "never again." There's absolutely no right answer. Personally, around a year. A good strategy, albeit a little "dark," is to stagger your dogs' ages. Have one that's a puppy when the other is around 5-6. It won't hurt any less when the old one passes on, but at least you'll have another one around to cry with.