• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How long before you shoot do you final seat?

TommyD11730

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2020
So, as I sit here I wonder, do I create problems by trying to solve problems I may not even have.
About 3 weeks ago I seated (no lube) some Sierra 77s in well seasoned Lapua brass. Knowing I couldn't shoot for about 3 weeks I figured I would final seat them 10 tho and that's that.
Keep in mind I only run around 1.5 tension and tumble with rice. I do believe the rice leaves the brass "slick" but whatever.
Anyways seating the final 10 tho you can hear the "click" as the bullet is driven down. While I hardly feel any resistance on my rock chucker I now have rings around the bullets. This die I have polished to keep it from doing just that.
So.. do I just seat the bullets in 1 step and don't worry about the time it takes to shoot them.
Or...
Buy a neck seating lube and see if it keeps the bullets from "welding" themselves to the neck before final seating.
Thanks guys..

Buy a neck seating lube and see if it keeps the bullets from "welding" themselves to the neck before final seating.
Thanks guys..

You might be well served to use a bit of lube to keep bullets from becoming bonded to the neck of the case, to avoid things being different between just loaded and loaded a few months back.

Reactions: TommyD11730
Many do the re-seat right before you shoot with their reloads due to the bullets sticking to the case.

I believe that there must be some combination of chemicals used to process the brass and environmental
conditions that cause this welding as many call it. It has never happened to me so I just seat to final length.

You need do test and decide for yourself depending on your needs.

Reactions: TommyD11730
not sure what you mean by final seat I seat my bullets once a day or so before I intend to shoot them . I tried measuring to see at the range if anything changed but saw nothing my calibers would read different than they did when pressed so I stopped doing it , group were all about the same as any other time I shot them . Are you making your necks so loose they will not hold the bullet or stacking stuff on top of them that might change there set depths ? Or is it a caliber specific type of question ? some rabbit holes should not be jumped into unless you noticed a problem .

I figured (there I go again) I'm spending a lot of time and effort to get my necks concentric and tension correct. By allowing a seated round to sit and weld/stick itself (and mine clearly were sticky after 3 weeks) that tension would become uneven. Uneven as they don't weld/stick themselves all the same.

It doesn't have anything to do really with the tension being so light the seating depth changes.
So.. IF I do choose to lube the necks before seating is their a preferred product? Don't suppose I could use say plain old Imperial dry neck lube?