• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How long can sized brass sit before loading?

Drumie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2005
Western New York
I was wondering if it is ok to for sized brass to sit 6 months or a year before loading it? I remember reading that if it sits too long the neck can possible shrink on you. I don't know if it is possible. There are times when I get to cleaning and sizing brass but wait a while to load it. What does everyone else do? Thanks.

I've let brass sit for a couple of months, with no change. Haven't let it sit for 6 months, or longer. But never shrunk on me. Longest I've let mine sit, has been 4 months.

I remember reading somewhere about it shouldn't be left for too long, it wasn't from someone I know. Don't worry Cornhusker86 I will make sure I dispose of it all in a safe manner. lol

Reactions: cornhusker86
See the discussion at http://forum.accurateshooter.com/th...g-and-seating-does-it-have-an-effect.3769977/
for various opinions on effect of time between sizing and bullet seating.
Phil G
Good link. I’d read a few other discussions regarding the possibilities of “air hardening” or age hardening as it’s more properly called. But that doesn’t meet the reality of the properties of 70/30 brass.

Even in that link, while some posit that the brass continues to “springback” over a period of time, none had more proof than that the brass that was formed a longer period of time ago was measurably harder to seat than that which was formed much more recently. This is not the proof that meets the test of cause and effect.

Now, don’t get me wrong. I am not saying that there is no difference between seating bullets in newly formed brass and that which was formed say weeks or months ago. There’s enough real and measurable evidence that says there is a difference in the amount of force it takes to seat one vs. the other.

I am saying that if there is such a thing as necks shrinking over time, something that I don’t believe, then it cannot be a universal effect of forming brass if for no other reason than there are a number of techniques used when forming brass and necks and all do not apply the same forces in the same manners to accomplish the task. So, unless one believes in the mystical and magical properties of rifle brass, there is no reasonable explanation that supports that effect.

Some are saying it is tarnishing or oxidation on the case that makes it harder to seat the bullet. This would be easier to test by cleaning the brass that has sat for a while before seating. I haven't read the entire link yet but I wonder if anyone has tested it. I am not a bench rest shooter, so i am not sure if letting the brass sit would affect me.

Reactions: supercorndogs
Some are saying it is tarnishing or oxidation on the case that makes it harder to seat the bullet. This would be easier to test by cleaning the brass that has sat for a while before seating. I haven't read the entire link yet but I wonder if anyone has tested it. I am not a bench rest shooter, so i am not sure if letting the brass sit would affect me.
I haven’t done any personal testing, but those that have notice a poi difference between the two. Interestingly, each method yields similar results on target and in ES/SD numbers, within their own group. However when mixed, old versus new, the results were not good.

Interesting, I have brass sized/primed sitting for year before loading. Again I load for hunting and not competitive shooting. Never noticed significant difference for hunting accuracy. But only been doing it for 50 years or so

I did a quick unscientific test last night. I had a bunch of 6.5cm brass that I cleaned and sized about 6 months ago. I took 3 different pieces and did this to them.
Piece 1, left untouched
Piece 2, cleaned the neck. This was to see if there is some tarnish or oxidation causing more seating force.
Piece 3, sized and cleaned.
I then seated bullets in all cases on my RCBS single stage press. I was just going by feel and all 3 seated with the same preasure. So it seems to me 6 months doesn't make a difference.
The one thing that might have helped with this is I store all of my sized brass in zip lock bags. Maybe it is tarnish or oxidation doing it and the zip lock keeps that from happening.

I have sized brass and let it sit for a year or more before loading it with no measurable change in performance. I do size all brass at same time to make sure all the cases experience the same setting on the die.

I keep sized brass in the shed for a week or two with no ill effect. I don't seat if it is below freezing though. More superstition than fact.

Last edited by a moderator:
See the discussion at http://forum.accurateshooter.com/th...g-and-seating-does-it-have-an-effect.3769977/
for various opinions on effect of time between sizing and bullet seating.
Phil G
I read that one too. Whether real or imagined, I think people sometimes invent excuses for crap they cannot explain. Maybe BR shooters who put 100 cases into service for a barrel can get away with loading cases right away after sizing, but I understand most wont even load 3 days before a match.
Us who put 300 minimum cases into service, well, who in their right mind would load 3-500 cases to sit around while dynamics could change?
I also think if you are not seating with an arbor press with a gauge, ae you really going to feel subtle differences in seating force?
I'm not telling anyone to not load the best ammo you possibly can, but at some point just loading ammo and not reading about snake oils is just easier.

The only thing I've experienced is to be sure to Clean / tumble off the lanolin case lube right after sizing. If left on, the lanolin will harden up over time and will be very difficult to remove.

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
The only thing I've experienced is to be sure to Clean / tumble off the lanolin case lube right after sizing. If left on, the lanolin will harden up over time and will be very difficult to remove.

Hitting it with a little high-proof alcohol will help loosen it up.

Lol, yet one shots claim to fame was no wipe needed

The Marines managed to hit plenty of shit at -30 degrees in North Korea. Can't say the same for the Army. Maybe different brass. WWII surplus?

Benchrest shooters know that recently sized brass shifts. The greatest change occurs within 30 minutes of sizing but it continues to change for about a week. These changes can affect accuracy. All BR shooters load all of their ammo at least a week before a match. You should follow their lead.

Every single statement in the preceding paragraph is wrong, it kinda hurt to type it but it was fun.

BR shooters take 20 rounds to the line, shoot a target, go back to the barn, wipe off cases, neck size and decap, prime, charge, and seat a bullet then take those loaded rounds right out and shoot the next match. They do that so they can adjust the load to conditions. If they had brass that they prepared and fireformed last winter, there would be zero change to the procedure. Brass doesn't change size.

You can find all sorts of crazy shit on the internet. There is a thread around here somewhere on "stupid shit I heard" - brilliant. My personal favorite of the hour is, "moly coated bullets are better".

Reactions: R_A_W and lash
Benchrest shooters know that recently sized brass shifts. The greatest change occurs within 30 minutes of sizing but it continues to change for about a week. These changes can affect accuracy. All BR shooters load all of their ammo at least a week before a match. You should follow their lead.

Every single statement in the preceding paragraph is wrong, it kinda hurt to type it but it was fun.

BR shooters take 20 rounds to the line, shoot a target, go back to the barn, wipe off cases, neck size and decap, prime, charge, and seat a bullet then take those loaded rounds right out and shoot the next match. They do that so they can adjust the load to conditions. If they had brass that they prepared and fireformed last winter, there would be zero change to the procedure. Brass doesn't change size.

You can find all sorts of crazy shit on the internet. There is a thread around here somewhere on "stupid shit I heard" - brilliant. My personal favorite of the hour is, "moly coated bullets are better".

I might be missing it...

But a good practice might be prep all brass and let it sit for a week and then load.

Dimensions might be more stable/similar etc

What's remarkable is that the first time I'd ever heard to reload brass the same day as sizing was just a week or two prior to this thread being started. I was told to reload the brass the same day as it had been re-sized. The guy who told me this is currently building rifles for the FBI. Maybe he knows something I don't.

Having said that.

Bax, not trying to be a smart alec here but your first sentence says "Benchrest shooters know that recently sized brass shifts." In the last sentence of that same paragraph you say "Brass doesn't change size." It appears you're contradiciting yourself. Which is it?

Having said that.

Bax, not trying to be a smart alec here but your first sentence says "Benchrest shooters know that recently sized brass shifts." In the last sentence of that same paragraph you say "Brass doesn't change size." It appears you're contradiciting yourself. Which is it?

Read the bits in between those two parts.

Reactions: lash