• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How long is to long for loaded PMAGS?

noz455sd

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2008
Montana
How long could I leave PMAGS load to 25rnds and not worry about spring fatigue? Thanks

Re: How long is to long for loaded PMAGS?

Magazine springs, and springs in general, don't fatigue from being constantly compressed or decompressed. It's the compression/decompression cycle that weakens them.

Wow ok thanks a bunch for the info! That makes me feel better about leaving a few loaded up all the time...Thanks again!

What Ty said!

You can load them up and leave them set without causing any fatigue or reliability problems with the PMAGs. Be sure to put the cover back on the mag which will take the stress off the polymer feed lips and further prolong the life of the mag.

10-4 ORD thanks for the added information!

I know of a guy who found a fully loaded M14 mag that had been lost in his shop for 15 years and it shot just fine as if it where brand new.

I would like to have the shop area big enough to loose a mag for 15 yrs

this is good info, I have left all of my mags unloaded until I shoot...

i keep a few loaded in the house but because i don't have my carry permit the cops can get a little agitated if the find loaded mags in you truck. so i don't transport loaded mags

I am buddies with Drake at Magpul and he loaded up hundreds of PMAGS when they came out years ago. He randomly pulls them out from years ago and fires them and they have function with no problems.

Put the covers on and dont worry about them!!

I have two windowed and one non-windowed that have been loaded with 30 rounds and in my patrol car for 4 years. The only time they get unloaded is when I shoot qualification once a year, never had an issue with any of them. None of these have the covers on them.

I cannot speak on the PMAGS as I haven't been using them that long, but I do know that in the late 80's my father inherited a 1911a1 from a relative that had served in WWII. He combat lossed the weapon and brought it home with him. When my dad received the pistol, it came with half a dozen mags that had been loaded since 1945. They still shot fine when we realized that it was a bad idea to keep shooting this antique. That was just a few years ago.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> They still shot fine when we realized that it was a bad idea to keep shooting this antique. That was just a few years ago.</div></div>

Why? It won't break.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MidwestPX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Magazine springs, and springs in general, don't fatigue from being constantly compressed or decompressed. It's the compression/decompression cycle that weakens them. </div></div>

I agree 100%

Guys at work have this discussion about once a year. I keep my call out mags loaded all the time and then have mags specific for training. My training mags have a lot of cycles through them, the duty mags have very few cycles but have been loaded with 27 rounds for almost 3 years. A few months ago I measured a duty magazine spring and compared it to one of my training mag springs. The difference was minimal but the training mags were slightly shorter.

The bottom line is mags tend to be a weak link in weapon systems and they are generally inexpensive. When you start doubting the magazines integrity mark it for training purposes only. I use pink duck tape on all mags I don't trust. The mag pul mags tend to just need new springs. GI mags tend to get damaged feed lips.

As long as you want to... I always down load by one but thats just a personal preference... Use the caps also...