• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How loose is too loose regarding primer pockets ?

Hogshooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 23, 2003
Powhatan, Va
At what point do you guys discard your brass for loose primer pockets ? I have a bunch of Fed. .308 brass that I have been loading. Some of them that have been reloaded 4 times have loosend up a bit. I hand prime everything and on the looser ones the primers slip in with very little effort compared to new brass. No problems with any being blown out or falling out but I don't want to push the envelope. I am loading 168 Amax in front of 44.0 gr. RL-15 for 2520 fps. out of my LMT MWS....thanks

If they are real loose going in I smack the case on my desk. If it stays in ill shoot it. If not superglue (JK). You must be using a spicy load if they are loose after 4 firings.

If on a batch of 100 cases, I find several loose, I scrap the lot. Not for one or two, but more than that, bye, bye.

I am not getting any leakage around the primer but it is a warm load for this rifle as I am seeing slight ejector marks on the fired cases. I will probably scrap them after shooting this time as I do not want to etch the bolt face from a blown primer. I cant press them in with a finger and they don't move when tapping the edge of the case head on my bench rather sharply. They just require very little pressue on my hand primer to seat the primer.

What are you using to prime your case with? Does it provide any feel of the primer entering the pocket.
The RCBS bench primer works well and allows good feel of the primer entering the pocket. Also, there are
several hand held type that give you a good feel as to how tight they are. Using the press priming option
has way to much leverage and no feel.
If I can hit the case with compressed air into the case and the primer stays in place I give it one more hoorraaaahhh! and
it goes into the scrap bucket.

Terry

If it pops out when I seat the bullet then I super glue it in and mark it for the last firing :)

Is this where you insert hotdog down a hallway too loose?

May require a bigger/fatter hot dog?

Winchester LRP's have one of the smaller diameter primers.
Remington or CCI LRP one of the larger diameters. Might make a difference to a point, I dunno...

Any movement in any direction (back and forth or rotational) is too much. Scrap it. It's just not worth the problems it can cause. FWIW, Federal brass is known for premature primer pocket stretching. Great brass you just have to be mindful of short life.

If it feels easy going in, I check it with a Lyman decapping die that's turned upside down on my bench. If i can push it out by hand, it's scrapped and the primer is put in the next case.

I have the die epoxied to a 1X4X4 board. Chaps me to throw away brass that is still useable.

If I'm getting multiples in a lot of brass though, away with the bunch.