• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns how loose.....?

Winny

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 25, 2005
This Place
So how loose is too loose? I just replaced the sights on my Sig TacOps 1911 with Trijicon HD sights, Novak cut. The original rear sight was really tight in the dovetail.......the trijicon rear sight is loose to the point it can be moved by hand with the set screw loosened up. When its tightened down the sight does not move......so I'm in a quandary as to what to do.

So how loose is too loose? I just replaced the sights on my Sig TacOps 1911 with Trijicon HD sights, Novak cut. The original rear sight was really tight in the dovetail.......the trijicon rear sight is loose to the point it can be moved by hand with the set screw loosened up. When its tightened down the sight does not move......so I'm in a quandary as to what to do.
Don't loosen the screw!

Really.....? I can see past that issue. I've never seen a rear sight be able to move this freely when the set screw is loose, which leads to my concern....will it loosen and cause a "failure" of the rear sight during prolonged shooting or rough handling?

I wouldn't leave it as is. The easiest solution would be to blue Loc-Tite the base and screw. It would stay put and the Loc-Tite will prevent rust as with base to bridge contact on a rifle. Next easiest would be to paint one edge of the sight base with a metal epoxy and file to fit. You could of course tap the highest point of the dovetail radius on the slide but that is somewhat permanent.

Loc-tite was running through my mind on the screw. I like the idea of the metal epoxy....that might be the ticket.

I had a 1911 with a fairly loose rear sight(you could slide it all the way through the dovetail by hand). I put loctite on the sight, slid it in, got it as close to eyeball zero as I could, then put loctite on the set screw and ran it down snug. Never moved in around 1000 rounds after that until I sold it. I disclosed it to the guy I sold it to and he hasnt said anything about it moving on him.