• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

how many feet per second?

bigdog2084

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2009
blue bell, pa
I am shooting a .308 round that i reloaded. it is a sierra 175 grain bullet with 40 grains of powders. how many feet per second is it going roughly? i just want an idea. my chronograph did not come in yet.

thanks

Re: how many feet per second?

Should be safe to say that it is slow!
Are you getting any signs that this load is too light?
That is why they put those holes in actions!

What book did you get this load from?

TC

I'd venture around 2375-2450ish. May be a nice low recoil offhand load. I wouldn't plan on going any distance with it.

My old offhand load was 41.4gr IMR4895 and a 168 for sillywet in 308. It was running around 2525fps, and grain for grain Varget's a little slower.

Where'd you come up with that load, as its probably less than the starting load in any manual (you do have a manual right?!?!)?

I believe for 175 SMK using Varget it's 42-45 grains.

42.5gr. Varget and 175gr. SMK gets me ~2630 fps

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigdog2084</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am shooting a .308 round that i reloaded. it is a sierra 175 grain bullet with 40 grains of powders. how many feet per second is it going roughly? i just want an idea. my chronograph did not come in yet.

thanks </div></div>

That's a bit slow and perhaps at the low end of the spectrum. I would guess it to be around 2400s top.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gau17</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe for 175 SMK using Varget it's 42-45 grains. </div></div>

Please be very careful when venturing above 44.5 gr of Varget with 175s.