• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How many injuries with reloads

SNOW JW

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2018
Curious how many of you have witnessed or heard of a reloading mistake causing a injury?? & if so what was the problem with the reload & extent of the injury??

Injuries while reloading or shooting reloads?

Wasn't injured when mine happened because I had safety glasses on but when I was priming with my progressive press, one of the primers caught the edge of the primer pocket and then got smashed. It blew up and shot little schards all over the place but did not hurt me any. Scared the living crap out of me. I always wear my safety glasses when I reload with my progressive press because it does not seem to be as sensitive to feel to me as a hand primer. i have reloaded thousands upon thousands of rounds in my life and that one still scares me.

Funny you should ask. I was just at @MarcS Spartan Rifles yesterday evening picking a new 6GT barrel. He is having a sale :)

Anyway, retelling his story. He had a customer who has several chargemasters set up with different powders. His wife was learning to reload and used the Varget instead of the H4350. Typical load in my 6.5 is 4-5 grains less varget than 4350.

Anyway, the gun blew up and he said she was, hurt badly, knock out and end up in the hospital. But also said she told her husband she was going to get it right next time.. Good for her.. Glad it was not worse.

Curious how many of you have witnessed or heard of a reloading mistake causing a injury?? & if so what was the problem with the reload & extent of the injury??

Perhaps you have seen the below thread but if not, it’s an interesting read. Captures the pitfalls and risks associated with reloading when not paying attention, not knowing what you don’t know and general cluelessness. OP in the thread checks all those boxes. Not sure about his injuries...

I've been reloading on Dillon 550s and single stage presses since 1994. I've been shooting comps with 5-40 other competitors since about 2011. Almost all cartridges have been handloads; tens of thousands of rounds. Never seen an injury, never been around a kaboom. Never had a reloading room incident (yet). I've only seen/read about KBs online. Apparently, KBs usually stem from overload or a bore obstruction (or equivalent e.g. .300BO in a .223 rem chamber).

I have never had a problem with ammo I have reloaded. and that is many thousands of rounds over 40+ years probably more to tell the truth.
I did recently see a friend who had reloaded some 223 for his AR with good powder and proper techniques fire a round that just kind of popped so he pulled the charging handle back and let it fly as the Army had trained him, immediate action, and chambered another round and was going to pull the trigger when I snatched that rifle out of his hands and pissed him off to no end.
The primer had popped half assed and had not set off the powder so the projectile was about 2 inches down the bore and let him chamber the next round and had I not been there next to him he would have blown that rifle up.

That failure can happen with factory ammo or reloads, you just have to realize what has happened and clear the bore before the next shot.
Other than his basic training in the Army he has very little experience shooting but is trying.

He lives in the City and only gets out here once in a while to shoot.

Goddamn, I am glad I was there helping him and knew what had just gone down and pissed him off when I jerked that rifle away.

You are never too old to learn and it was not his failure about reloading, it was a primer failure, he just didn't know that. FM

He should have known what was up but didn't. He is not a shooter.

Funny you should ask. I was just at @MarcS Spartan Rifles yesterday evening picking a new 6GT barrel. He is having a sale :)

Anyway, retelling his story. He had a customer who has several chargemasters set up with different powders. His wife was learning to reload and used the Varget instead of the H4350. Typical load in my 6.5 is 4-5 grains less varget than 4350.

Anyway, the gun blew up and he said she was, hurt badly, knock out and end up in the hospital. But also said she told her husband she was going to get it right next time.. Good for her.. Glad it was not worse.

Bull shit

Maybe not. My Squaw was learning how to reload a few years ago and dropped a portion of charge on the bench yet seated a bullet and wondered why I was pissed when I shot it. She said,"It was only a little bit." Makes a big difference downrange dummy."
Very few people want to be watched at each and every move they make and I was cutting my Squaw some slack as I was making her nervous with me over her shoulder all of the time. Sometimes that is just exactly where you need to be even though you have shown them time and again, "The same thing, each and every time, over and over, and if you FUCK up, start over,"

Now she reloads hers and I reload mine and she hasn't dropped a short charge since that lecture I gave her.

There was a guy at a gun club I was part of who had bad shotgun shells all the time. He either had no charge or heavy charges almost every time we shot. I hated when we ended up on the pot shooting line next to eachother. He blew up his kreigof when he accidentally put a 20 gauge shell in the gun and did not notice. He then put a 12ga behind it and grenaded the barrel. He was a real nice guy, just drank too much when he loaded

Reactions: Foul Mike
The only incident I ever personally witnessed in 45 years of shooting was at a trap range. A guy who shot there regularly and was notorious for reloading shells that any rational person would cull out was almost knocked on his ass when his Browning citori over and under went off like a cannon. The report was about two or three times louder than a normal round. The gun stayed together but took three guys to break it open and one of the barrels was split. The receiver was ruined as well. The shooter ended up with a broken collar bone, and was lucky to get off with just that.

Never found out for certain what caused the incident. Perhaps a massive overcharge or the wad somehow lodged in the bore creating a huge pressure spike. This is what I think happened since his shells often had very noticeable bulges in them.

Why would you say that I am bull shitting a story I was told and clearly indicated as such.. he’ll maybe it was hand gun powder or some other small detail that was most old to me.

but you calling bullshit is uncalled for

I did not say YOU were bullshitting, I said the story was bullshit. Substitution of Varget for H4350 will not make a rifle explode.

When I was 19 I purchased an ArmaLite MSR. Was following the prescribed break in procedure, and my old time reloading father told me to try for accuracy with his box of reloads. Being 19 I accepted the parental wisdom without a second thought.

Three shots in with the “accurate hand loads” and the AR blew up. I was feeding the rounds one at a time, no mag. The bolt carrier cracked and sent metal out the mag well, the bolt jammed and upper/lower seized.

Turns out those “accurate hand loads” were only neck sized, and the bolt was not able to close fully in the AR, but enough for the firingpin to strike. I was shaken but not hurt. Still have the destroyed parts as a reminder.

Besides accuracy and ballistic theory, saving money is the other primary reason for handloading. Biggest caveat on that, if the gun blows up you didn't save any money! If you aren't going to take the time to load right, to cull rounds that are suspicious, to second guess and remeasure and question everything you do, you are not fit for reloading. Hate to say it, but it is one of those stupid old redundant things to be repeated because it needs to be repeated.

Heard about a guy who lost an eye with a shotgun squib from reloads, another guy who destroyed the lugs on his Winchester 70 and broke his glasses with rifle hot loads. Seen 9mm handloads given to a friend that weren't crimped well enough to prevent setback and could have been a disaster, luckily I got them and they are safely sitting in some box where nobody will ever use them. Otherwise, it seems like most handloaders are serious shooters who take it very seriously, a handful of yahoos give it a bad name.

Of course you have a hazy view of the subject from other people's explanations of why things went kaboom. Plenty of guns that blew up from bad handloads were explained away with other excuses.... and a few negligent kabooms that weren't ammo related could always be chalked up "to some damn handloads I bought, yeah, that's it".

Worst things I've ever done was had a bad batch of 38 Special loads that squibbed because of primer depth issues because of my worthless shitpile RCBS ProChucker 7, but didn't blow up anything because I shoot carefully. One of my batches of cheap match 308 ammunition was seated 2.765 instead of 2.795, and these two incidents alone have made me reconsider my practices. Next time around that high primer squib will be in a box you use for rapid fire, next time that seating will be too short on a fouled up barrel with a strong charge. Excuses for mistakes aren't going to save you from injury, or at best pay for the repairs to your weapon.

I did not say YOU were bullshitting, I said the story was bullshit. Substitution of Varget for H4350 will not make a rifle explode.

I’ve only seen it cause the bolt to lock up pretty tight.

When I first started loading I was too shy about working up from minimum suggested loads. Out testing, my FN SPR chambered and fired, but I had some blowback gas that stung my face. Apparently my minimum load was so weak the brass wasn't sealing to the chamber and was causing blowback, geeez. I had glasses on, but I learned 2 lessons:
1) Lefties should shoot lefty rifles. Because the weak seal shot that gas right down the claw path to the shooters face.
2) Published factory minimum loads can be dangerously low! I bumped the OCW test up to near mid/max and was good to go.
Just funny that most stories are about max loads, but even minimum loads can bite and sting ya...

A few years ago, a shooter at my range blew up his brand new custom rifle. Scary fucking scene. Dude left by ambulance. Shrapnel was lodged in his eye pro. He was messed up but lived.

I found out later that he mistakenly charged his magnum load with pistol powder.

been loading since the mid 90s. 0 problems. my brother did have an issue with a steyr bolt gun....but it was factory ammunition that did it.

no music, no tv, no allowing interruptions while you are loading. keep your bench clean.

i trust what i do more than trusting a sea of strangers to load my ammo. and the winchester factory outright denied their ammo was at fault. fucking dickbags. at any rate, i’ll trust my own ammo, thank you.

been loading since the mid 90s. 0 problems. my brother did have an issue with a steyr bolt gun....but it was factory ammunition that did it.

no music, no tv, no allowing interruptions while you are loading. keep your bench clean.

i trust what i do more than trusting a sea of strangers to load my ammo. and the winchester factory outright denied their ammo was at fault. fucking dickbags. at any rate, i’ll trust my own ammo, thank you.

I agree on no people interrupting seems like anytime I loose my rhythm I forget something this gets compounded on a progressive press.

Loaded some 7 Rem Mag to go shoot prairie dogs. I know, but it was all I had back then. 120 grn slugs and enough powder to make 'em zippy. Having a enjoyable day and then one went plugh. Waited a bit and jacked out the brass. It came out fine but I couldn't see through the bore. No powder, not zippy. Tapped the slug out with a cleaning rod, listened for the powder rattle in my remaining rounds and went back to eliminating prairie dogs.

Put a primer in backwards another time. Found it on the inspection, pulled it down and did it right the second time. On rare occasions you may be granted a second chance.

That's my only two, I know about, in 40 years of reloading. Now I shall knock on wood, pitch a pinch of salt over my shoulder and be super "carefuller" in the future.

Thank you,
MrSmith

Have a friend that lost an eye when his wood stocked Remington 700 blew up and he ended up with splinters in his face. He had a buddy load him some ammo for it. (.308) Apparently there were signs of over pressure, heavy bolt lift and blown primers, but the buddy told hime to keep shooting. He sold all of his reloading equipment after that. Never heard what the components were.

Wolf primers.

Bought a case of 5000. Found 28 squibs in the first 1000. Tossed the rest.
My Dad had a case from the same lot and started sorting primers to make sure they had an anvil and went to a hand primer for all of them. He threw out a few hundred.

XD barrels aren't as tight as xdm. Mine would pass the bullet with it hitting dirt. My buddies xdm we hammered 2 out with a dowl.

Ended up finding anvils mangled inside the Dillon upon inspection. Never seen an anvil fall out of a new primer before that.

Wolf primers.

Bought a case of 5000. Found 28 squibs in the first 1000. Tossed the rest.
My Dad had a case from the same lot and started sorting primers to make sure they had an anvil and went to a hand primer for all of them. He threw out a few hundred.

XD barrels aren't as tight as xdm. Mine would pass the bullet with it hitting dirt. My buddies xdm we hammered 2 out with a dowl.

Ended up finding anvils mangled inside the Dillon upon inspection. Never seen an anvil fall out of a new primer before that.
Hahaha. Seems like every box of 20 Wolf Gold I shoot, there's at least 1 with a bad primer.