• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing How many lbs. of torque?

wolf6151

Private
Minuteman
May 22, 2011
Pearland, Tx.
I just put a new B&C stock on my Rem. 700 action and need to know how many lbs. of torque to tighten the stock mounting screws? Thanks.

Re: How many lbs. of torque?

Wolf you are looking for inch pounds for action torque. I have heard 65 inch pounds is the standard for remington.

Sorry I should have given a little more detail. It's a Remington 700 SPS Stainless in 7mm-08 with standard factory BDL bottom metal. I took off the junk stock Remington put on the rifle and replaced it with a B&C medalist sporter. I'm looking for how many lbs. of torque to tighten the stock mounting screws? Hope that helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Factory BDL bottom metal?

Roughly 40 <span style="font-weight: bold">INCH</span> pounds. </div></div>

You want INCH like what this dude said!!!
wink.gif

I go no more than 45 inch lbs with factory aluminum bottom metal, maybe 50 at most if pillar bedded. If you have steel Williams or Badger than 65 inch lbs is acceptable if also pillar bedded! You take the chance of cracking/breaking the cheezy Remington aluminum bottom metal and or compressing the stock material. Not familiar with how B&C makes their new stocks but their older ones were a fiber/foam core.

I saw a video from Brownell's on replacing a trigger and this guy (who certainly looks like a gunsmith, or a ranger, or a seal, or a Saturday afternoon movie hero) says to torque the action to 60 inch-pounds. He also says that its better to go a little loose than too tight. Just sayin'...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaQgsjhk2Fg

When you torque it to your specified INCH lbs torque value. Make sure the screws and the threaded portion of the action do not have any lube of any type on them.

Lube will cause the torque value to be waaay over what the wrench setting is.

Typically with a 1/4X28 bolt, the torque value is 50-70 INCH pounds. I would start with 40 and work up in 5 INCH lb increments and shoot it to see where your rifle likes it.

You will need to loosen the screws each time BEFORE you raise the torque value, or the torque may not change due to overcoming friction.

Use your search to read up on proper torquing of bolts, nuts and other fastening devices. Lots to learn and you need to make sure you are doing it right if you are going to bother using a torque wrench.

Over the years I have had great luck with 45"lbs. on the front screw and 30"lbs. on the rear. This is with pillar bedding. Hope this helps. Paul.

www.boltfluting.com

Not to discount what anyone else has said. I called Bell and Carlson after purchasing a used gun with a Medalist series stock and they said action screws were to be torqued to 65inch pounds. I dont even know what its at now just had it over at PCR having work done and dont know what they torqued it to but like I said 65 Inch pounds is what they said.

the title of this post made me think of one of my all time favorite movies.

Vinny Gambini: [Vinny hears a drip in the motel bathroom] Weren't you the last one to use the bathroom?
Lisa: So?
Vinny Gambini: Well, did you use the faucet?
Lisa: Yeah.
Vinny Gambini: Then why didn'tcha turn it off?
Lisa: I DID turn it off!
Vinny Gambini: Well, if you turned it off, why am I listening to it?
Lisa: Did it ever occur to you it could be turned off AND drip at the same time?
Vinny Gambini: No. Because if you'd turned it off, it wouldn't drip!
Lisa: Maybe it's broken.
Vinny Gambini: Is that what you're saying? It's broken?
Lisa: Yeah. That's it, it's broken.
Vinny Gambini: You sure?
Lisa: I'm positive.
Vinny Gambini: Maybe you didn't twist it hard enough.
Lisa: I twisted it just right.
Vinny Gambini: How could you be so sure?
Lisa: [sighs] If you will look in the manual, you will see that this particular model faucet requires a range of 10 to 16 foot-pounds of torque. I routinely twist the maximum allowable torquage.
Vinny Gambini: Well, how could you be sure you used 16 foot-pounds of torque?
Lisa: Because I used a Craftsman model 1019 Laboratory Edition Signature Series torque wrench. The kind used by Caltech high energy physicists. And NASA engineers.
Vinny Gambini: Well, in that case, how can you be sure THAT's accurate?
Lisa: Because a split second before the torque wrench was applied to the faucet handle, it had been calibrated by top members of the state AND federal Department of Weights and Measures... to be dead on balls accurate!
[She rips a page out of a magazine and hands it to him]
Lisa: Here's the certificate of validation.
Vinny Gambini: Dead on balls accurate?
Lisa: It's an industry term.
Vinny Gambini: [tosses paper away] I guess the fucking thing is broken.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Five7guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to discount what anyone else has said. I called Bell and Carlson after purchasing a used gun with a Medalist series stock and they said action screws were to be torqued to 65inch pounds. I dont even know what its at now just had it over at PCR having work done and dont know what they torqued it to but like I said 65 Inch pounds is what they said. </div></div>

Like I said, 50-70 Inch lbs. 65 falls right into that range. If you are torquing metal to metal (pillars or block) then this is the correct range. If you are torquing metal to a wood stock, the 50-70 will compress the wood.

I like 45in lbs on the front and 35 on the back. Then shoot it and see. It's interesting to see how this effects some rifles more than others. If you get some vertical try a little more on the tang screw.