• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft how many lefties use a RH bolt rifle

Xcount

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2009
Hello,
I am new to this kind of shooting and am looking at a FN A3G. Being a lefty, is it common to use a RH action? I could use my across the course 40x after mounting my ST-10 but the A3G seems to be a nicer setup.

what do the experts say??

Re: how many lefties use a RH bolt rifle

As far as shooting goes I have conformed to the RH mans way of life, use whats comfortable to you.

Welcome to the Hide, and as BOLTRIPPER would say please complete your profile.

+1

I've been using a RH for so long I'd probably feel awkward behind a LH. Repetition is the key, it didn't take me too long to get used to it.

I never even knew they made LH firearms when I was growing up.

I use RH rifles, shotguns and archery equipment. Do everything else LH though.

I never owned a LH gun until 4-5 years ago. I'll never go back however I don't think there is anything wrong with a righty.

My problem is right handed left eye dominant. I am considering a left hand action to see if there is a difference. There is shooting a pistol because I have to have one eye closed all the time or I will be left of the target. Archery is the same way have to shoot with one I closed. Not that is that big of a deal but I can acquire a target faster with both eyes open.

thanks for replies. Now I need to know if you guys are shooting from the normal lefty side and using your right hand to cycle the action or just crossing over to the normal right handed side and you've gotten used to using the gun from the opposite side. sorry for the simpleton questions.
I shoot service rifles so this bolt stuff is new to me, and also this scoped rifle setup is even newer.

I think running a right bolt rifle left handed could almost be an advantage.
You never have to give up your grip to cycle the action.
Just my 2 cents

Handedness and eye dominance are both over-emphasized.

I am naturally left-handed, but right-eye dominant.

I grew up shooting pistols right handed, and rifles left handed. A few years back, when I got back into competitive shooting, I decided to shoot rifles right handed, because shooting a right-hand bolt gun left handed is inconvenient if you have to reach over an optic to cycle the bolt.

Now I can pick a rifle up with either hand, and shoot it that way with equal facility. Same with a pistol. And I shoot both sides with both eyes open.

Eye dominance doesn't much matter with a rifle, because your cheek weld lines you up behind the sights.

And it doesn't much matter with a pistol, either. Larry Vickers, who has won national championships, is right-handed but left eye dominant. Line the sights of a pistol up with either eye - it doesn't matter which one - and the bullet will hit the target if you press the trigger correctly.

For someone who had never fired a firearm before, I would probably encourage them to learn to shoot a pistol with the firing hand on the side of their dominant eye.

Otherwise, it's not a very interesting thing to worry about. Learning to shoot correctly is far more important.

Added: running the bolt of a right-handed rifle with your right hand while shooting left side works fine if you don't have to support the rifle. If you're shooting unsupported, it doesn't work so well.

i'm right handed, but left eye dominant, shoot rifle leftie, pistol rightie, which is actually convienant for qcb. i tried left handed rifles after all these years of using right hand rifles, doesn't feel comfortable.

i also think it's an advantage when prone or off the bench, and when kneeling, sitting or offhand i just come over the top of the otic / reciever with the left hand with a rightie rifle.

works great with a oversized bolt knob, still keeping the rifle shouldered, and the optics generally still on target.

it also makes you want to make that first shot the most important, trying not to HAVE to cycle the 2nd round in a hurry.

My smallbore rifle is LH and my centerfire rifles are all RH. For 3P I think the LH bolt is very helpful. SInce I shoot most of my centerfire stuff prone, the RH bolt isnt too much of a problem.

That said, If I had a choice I would have all LH bolt guns. It just makes life easier when shooting positions.

Great questions Xcount. Being a lefty and left eye dominant I enjoyed reading other lefty shooters opinions. I own several left handed hunting rifles and really like them. I agree though that if you are shooting prone or off a bench then being a lefty shooting a right handed gun can be an advantage. you never take your hand off he trigger or your eye off the target, and you can still cycle the bolt.

Just taking a survey....do other leftys do this?

When I go out to eat at a restuarant with a group of people, as we approach the table I am already trying to figure out where I can sit so that I won't elbow the person eating beside me.

It's crap that right handed people just sit down...while I have to solve a damn logic problem everytime I sit down to eat! <span style="font-style: italic">If person A is sitting to the left of person B, and person C is sitting to the right of A, and A and C are not next to each other, then where the hell does lefty D sit down?:)</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i'm right handed, but left eye dominant, shoot rifle leftie, pistol rightie, which is actually convienant for qcb. i tried left handed rifles after all these years of using right hand rifles, doesn't feel comfortable.

</div></div>

Ditto shooting preference - but I find its more of a challenge when you have to move your left hand over the optics to run the bolt for sitting or off-hand. IMHO eye dominance is much harder to "re-train" than hand
dominance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lucks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just taking a survey....do other leftys do this?

When I go out to eat at a restuarant with a group of people, as we approach the table I am already trying to figure out where I can sit so that I won't elbow the person eating beside me.

It's crap that right handed people just sit down...while I have to solve a damn logic problem everytime I sit down to eat! <span style="font-style: italic">If person A is sitting to the left of person B, and person C is sitting to the right of A, and A and C are not next to each other, then where the hell does lefty D sit down?:)</span>

</div></div>
GOOD POST!!! I have the same issues, give me the side of the table. I do use a right handed rifle, usually shoot it from the left side, but for a while, tried it from the right, so I can usually shoot fairly good from both. Only issue is most non-suppressed rifles beat me up a bit more from the right. May not have as good of a shoulder hold on that side. Can hit the target either way. With the pistol. Slow fire, can do from the right, fast, need to go to the left. SHTF, going lefty.
Chad

I shoot mil-surp bolt action rifles, if they have a straight bolt. Curled bolts are just too much of a pain in the ass to work and forget the Enfield actions, they suck to try and work while reaching over the stock.

Semi-autos...there's never really been many options, so you learn to make do. Some are more friendly than others...you adapt.

Modern day bolt action rifles are easy to obtain in left-hand actions, so there's really no excuse not to have one. It really does feel right, to shoot a left-handed action...LOL!

I agree dominance can be overstated when you have a shooter with two good eyes, but in my case my right eye is bad enough that it pretty much negates switching from side to side. And I think the argument that a lefty using a right bolt is better is overstated as well. The overall speed of loading and operating the bolt from ALL positions with a lefty bolt outweighs the only advantage of speed from the prone supported position with a righty.

I am right handed.

As I was shooting yesterday, I realized that if I had a left-handed rifle, I could maintain my "shooting" hand's position on the grip, annd my check weld, and cycle the bolt with my left (butt support) hand, disturbing my point of aim so much less.

And I could load with my left hand.

I wish I wiuld have bought a left-handed rifle, for this Rightie.

Chad3, glad to hear I'm not the only one! Righties don't realize how much us lefties have to work to accommodate them...

I'm a lefty, and have always shot lefty. Shooting lefty is most comfortable to me. I like shooting right hand rifles lefty (for the most part). I like that I can see into the chamber more easily, and I can keep my left hand comfortably holding the rifle and near the trigger while I work the bolt with my right hand. My face can stay in the same place too. I actually feel sorry for the righties that don't have lefty bolt guns!

I shoot RH and LH, prefer lefty with a rifle, but all rifles have been righty. Just got my first lefty rifle and like it allot.

Eye dominance can be overcome with some work.

It's nice to sling a rifle lefty so you have an easy, unobstructed side-arm pull-n-shoot.

I am left handed, but right eye dominant. Shooting a pistol isnt a problem because I can line the sights up to my right eye. Shooting a rifle, open sights, or scoped, I have to use my left eye. Onle draw back is my left eye starts to fatigue after a shorter time. I dont cycle the bolt with my left hand. I just use my right hand and it works ok for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Xcount</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello,
I am new to this kind of shooting and am looking at a FN A3G. Being a lefty, is it common to use a RH action? I could use my across the course 40x after mounting my ST-10 but the A3G seems to be a nicer setup.

what do the experts say?? </div></div>

If you are going to spend that kind of cash call up Geroge Gardner with GAP and have them build you a left handed rig.

I use to run right handed guns and have sold all of them to build all LH rigs. A lot of matches require positional shooting and slung up with the bolt on the wrong side is a bitch.

A lot say shooting prone with a RH bolt being LH is faster..yes and no. If you are using a rear rest it is..however if you are using a shooting glove or whatever it is not.

Ergonomics is everything so why not get a rig that fits you and your needs.

Georges GAP Templar comes left handed.

Another good choice for a custom lefty build is Jim Borden Alpine action. I am running two of these and love em. Other lefties in our club run them as well.

Vu

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rancid Coolaid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shoot RH and LH, prefer lefty with a rifle, but all rifles have been righty. Just got my first lefty rifle and like it allot.

Eye dominance can be overcome with some work.

It's nice to sling a rifle lefty so you have an easy, unobstructed side-arm pull-n-shoot.</div></div>
Sorry, but this is the one thing that is wrong. You can try to overcome, but Eye dominance is for good. Brain only works one way. That is why if you are cross dominant, you need to go with the eye.
Guy taught me to work the bolt up and over. Not as quick, but pretty close, and so help me in pod prone...
Chad

As a life long left handed and left eye person a couple of observations

As a life long left handed and left eye person a couple of observations

1. every left hander has probably owned and shot right handed rifles
2. If in a supported position I prefer right hand rifles as working the bolt is faster and ability you observe the loading process
3. off hand a left handed bolt is superior for a lefty
4. I can (and do) shoot right handed - but only both eyes open - as I get older - this does seem to get harder
5. As an older fart - I will only buy right hand bolts now - easier to sell and something to leave my son (who is right eye and right handed)

The bottom line - is whatever works for you and puts the round on target - is all good.

In PI, we were forced to shoot RH.

I think there's some flimsy logic that actually supports such a training viewpoint in an infantry setting.

Modern fire and maneuver tacics are based less on limited volumes of accurate fire than on heavy volumes of distributed fire. The very expectation that random chance favors the attacker serves to build on its effectiveness, so sound marksmanship is only partly desirable, some random inaccuracy may be a desirable supplement.

Greg

Not true. =) A lot of BR and F-Class guys do.

However in our game...none that I know of.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How many righties shoot left-handed guns?
none. </div></div>

Not so.
I was the odd ball out in our family.
Right hand, and right eye.
Right hand was a backwards thing!

I will shoot my Brother's gun, with his values, his way.

Yes Virgina, a composite, thumbhole, right hand stock can be shot left handed!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCA4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How many righties shoot left-handed guns?
none. </div></div>

Not so.
I was the odd ball out in our family.
Right hand, and right eye.
Right hand was a backwards thing!

I will shoot my Brother's gun, with his values, his way.

Yes Virgina, a composite, thumbhole, right hand stock can be shot left handed!

</div></div>

My point was a lot of guys say left-handed shooters using a right-handed rifle has some sort of advantage in tac shooting. The truth is it doesn't have any real advantage because if it did, all the righties would be buying left-handed actions and dominating the comps with their backwards rigs.

Every bolt gun I've had to date, has been a right handed bolt configuration. I'm left handed and have to agree. To me, shooting with the rifle supported works just fine when shooting lefty. But unsupported, that's where things go down hill. Will I ever buy a left handed stick? Not really sure at this point.

I shoot alot and all of my guns are right handed, But just recently i bought a 17HMR for pests in LH and it was realy weird. I cant say i like it, May take some time to get use too.

I use my right hand to cycle the action instead of doing the over the top Saving Private Ryan thing. I thought about getting a lefty action; however, figure should guns become scarce resultant of political reasons it will be far easier to get parts for a Rem 700 right hand action should they be needed.

i only go over the top of the optic when offhand shooting. otherwise from a bench or prone using a bipod / rest and rear support, it's pretty handy (no pun intended) using my right to cycle.

I use one. Just started shooting RH bolt after using LH for years. Unless you are shooting competition specific matches where you need off hand I recommend RH. It's comfortable and other people can shoot your rig as well.

just thought of another reason, which is a topic in another forum here at the hide, that the adjustment knobs on optics are more convienant shooting a rifle leftie. of course that would hold true also with a leftie rifle.

the only drawback is saftey locations on many rifles / shotguns. love the tang safeties.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just thought of another reason, which is a topic in another forum here at the hide, that the adjustment knobs on optics are more convienant shooting a rifle leftie. of course that would hold true also with a leftie rifle.

the only drawback is saftey locations on many rifles / shotguns. love the tang safeties.</div></div>
Same reason I love the old school paddle safeties. They are quite large and can be operated very well with the thumb of the left hand just by reaching up. Benellis can be swapped to left hand safety in the right hand gun. I shoot an M2 and have done this, very nice. Mossberg shotties have the tang safety, nice, but the shotgun itself (my 935) sucks.
Chad

This lefty shoots righty. I was taught that way as a kid so it seems somewhat natural. I am left eye dominant, but I guess that has been overcome. I can and do occasionally shoot left handed (when necessary)and have killed 6 or 7 deer left handed. Not sure what all this means, maybe I'd be a better shot shooting lefty??? But then there goes my excuse..hmmmmm
oh yeah I also play golf right handed. Does this make me weird?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lucks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just taking a survey....do other leftys do this?

</div></div>

I just had to laugh reading that because it's so true! If everyone sets down real fast, I just forget about it and elbow them on purpose every now and then, call it revenge
laugh.gif

Now to the question. I shoot all right handed weapons in my normal left handed way. I am completely comfortable shooting scoped and non scoped bolt actions in the prone position, and am proficient standing, but it does suck having to take your rifle off target to cycle the bolt. I shoot all handguns left handed, I just got used to it because I knew no other way of doing it. same as my 870.

Like some of the others, when I had qualify during boot camp in USMC I had to wear an eye patch over my dominant left eye and shoot the M1 right-handed. Great as it turned out, now I am resonably ambidextrious. Like the luxury of being able to bat either left or right, gives one some flexibility. I have no problem shooting right handed and many of my firearms are right handed, some are Leftys. The circumstance usually dictates the side I shoot from. My left eye dominance does get the best of me on occasion but if I concentrate I can simply close it and use the right eye. My current long range system is actually a Lefty. Nice to be able to have it both ways.

Semper Fi!

I grew up shooting left handed on right handed guns. All of them were of course somebody elses such as my dads, brothers etc when I was young. I never knew any other wise and adapted quite nicely! When I was offered a left handed bolt gun for duty purposes, I declined. It felt so awkward and I had mastered the right handed situation to a point that it was not a set back. I do however run my bolt with my right hand and am just as fast as the others. My hand is already right there close by and I don't like all the movement in reaching over when I'm in a position.

However, being left eyed dominant, I still shoot my sidearm right handed. I can shoot better left hand, but with no thanks to the non ergonomic pistols that were around when I grew up, the mag release, slide lock, etc were all on the wrong side to be convient. So I adapted! I usually shoot both eyes open to help with the process, but I also cant my head slightly to make up for it. It hasn't hindered me really so I just stay with it.

And YES, I do the same when going into a resturant!!! Always go for the end!

I dunno...I guess I'm the exception because I like having the ejection port on the opposite side of the rifle my face is.

Hmmm...many variables. I'm strong right arm, left eye dominant with a preference for dexterous activities with my left. I cannot shave with my right, and so forth. My right eye is incidentally a little clearer 4 years since I had lasers pointed at my eyes. (off subject, but I love it for iron sights, PRK did great by me)

So; I shoot irons right, pistol right on my left eye w/both open and left closed for steady shots. Scope I go both ways all day long. Magnums I pretty much stick to my right shoulder.

I was supposed to be left handed but in 1st grade I couldn't figure out how to hold a pencil like the teacher. Didn't know lefties cant hold it like a rightie. Practicing your other arm is good exercise for it. 1. you never know when you are going to have to have that tool in the awkward position and of course there's always a stroke. Could you imagine relearning trigger pull.

I'm right handed but shoot lefty,must be the eye thing. anyone know of a lefty thumb stock for a right handed gun?