• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How many loadings can I expect to gain by neck sizing vs full length sizing?

bhart89

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2009
LA
How many loadings can I expect to gain by neck sizing vs full length sizing?

Assuming I loading .338 Lapua in Lapua brass with a middle of the road charge of H1000 or Retumbo and a 300 gr SMK.

Is the increased case life significant (like double or more the number of loadings before the brass is trashed)?

I know there are too many variables to come up with an accurate number but what are your thoughts on increasing brass life by not FL sizing all the time?

I do not currently anneal.

None if you know what you are doing. I've got 6.5x47 brass with 20+ firings on them and they are still going strong. Full length sized every time.

None if you know what you are doing. I've got 6.5x47 brass with 20+ firings on them and they are still going strong. Full length sized every time.

Can you explain, or point me towards an article that explains "proper" full length sizing? I'm about to start loading .308 and am going to FLS but of course would like to extend brass life as long as possible. Thanks

Are you referring to just bumping back the shoulder .002 when FL sizing. I was wondering the same thing as well. By just bumping the shoulders back .002 is that considered a FL size or just a partial size. I ask that because if you just bump back the shoulders 2 thou for example would that be considered a FL resize where you can shoot this round in any rifle its chambered for. I am currently loading for .308 using Redding Type S match neck dies and debating whether to get Type S match FL dies for .260. I do hate having to use the body die eventually. If I can use the FL neck die and still gtetthe same brass life I will.

I'm with bward on this. Just a bump with fl die set correctly for chamber. If u use a nk sizer u are working the nk just as much as a fl sizer. Now a nk or fl bushing die is a different animal, for them to be ran right the expander ball should be tossed . Of course when that is done nk's need to be turned to provide consistent runout. Even with lapua brass. I just use bushing dies for my BR's and forster fl dies with honed nks. I have 4 243s that were all set with the same gage (2 savage,1 remage 1 tikka) the bolts close the same on all. My 308 with Winchester brass gets 12-15 firings before it is done, usually pockets go first. No softball loads either 155 Palmas and 47.5 gr varget

Agreed, neck sizing helps nothing IMO. I too have a 6.5 x47 with a ton of firings on them, and see no reason why they will not keep going.

It's important to be aware that just as chambers vary from gun to gun and manufacturere to manufacturer, sizing dies vary in the same fashion. Proper full length sizing simply involves enough sizing to get the job done (proper function). Our most critical measurement is usually headspace, and the actual body sizing (or neck sizing in a nin bushing die) just is what it is. This may be much more than we need, or just right.

For your Lapua setup, I would recommend a custom die. For about the cost of 100 pieces of 338 L brass, you can have a custom die cut using the specs of your own fired brass. I recommend Neil Jones, although there are others.