• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How many of you are shooting 6.5cm to a mile or even 2000 yds?

Milf Dots

Milf Hunter Extraordinaire
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2019

And are any of you doing it from barrels in the 24-25 inch range?

Answer to first question. A number of guys down here in Florida are shooting 6.5 to a mile. Most with 26” barrels because that’s what they have. Since the bullet is subsonic at that distance either way and you’re only losing maybe 25fps with a 25” barrel, I don’t see why it couldn’t be done.

I’ve had my 24” 6.5 out to a mile at Clinton House. Not terribly difficult. Thankfully wasn’t a bad day wind wise. It was a 90moa hold, fyi. I was running moa at that time. Roughly 25mils

Berger 144 LRHT bullets….

Reactions: Milf Dots
Are any of y’all shooting 6.5cm 1k+ with the 153 grain bullets? My 147 ELDM’s are a little slow but ordered a new 7.5 barrel and was planning on giving the 153.5 Bergers a try for 800+. Fallback plan was 135 A-tips.

I’ve had my 24” 6.5 out to a mile at Clinton House. Not terribly difficult. Thankfully wasn’t a bad day wind wise. It was a 90moa hold, fyi. I was running moa at that time. Roughly 25mils

What velocity were you pushing those?

Done it a fair few times with a mate. 260rem, 140eld, was... 25mil dial ? Was a while ago. His 6.5x47lap was near identical drop, same proj. Roughly 2 year ago ??

Reactions: lash and Milf Dots
I’ve done almost 1800 with my 260. 142 smk at 2835 fps. It gets there but consistency wasn’t great. Think that was at 850 ft elevation

It’s not a great time shooting anything under 30 cal at 1200 plus. The signature from larger bullets really helps and lobbing subsonic 6.5 through wind isn’t exactly precision shooting. Depends what you’re after but it certain can be done.

• Haha
Reactions: lash
Are any of y’all shooting 6.5cm 1k+ with the 153 grain bullets? My 147 ELDM’s are a little slow but ordered a new 7.5 barrel and was planning on giving the 153.5 Bergers a try for 800+. Fallback plan was 135 A-tips.

I'd bet the A-tips do better. 147s are already slow. The A-tip BC is insane and you can push the 135 quite a bit faster.

Then again, i usually use eld-m because they're cheap and shoot well. I can't justify a-tip pricing, and Bergers are getting almost as bad.

I'm at 24 Mills with a 147, but that's at 7000' DA. Starting them out at 2700.

It’s not a great time shooting anything under 30 cal at 1200 plus. The signature from larger bullets really helps and lobbing subsonic 6.5 through wind isn’t exactly precision shooting. Depends what you’re after but it certain can be done.
I’d like to welcome you to the 21st century.

6.5 CM / 43.7 grain of N560 with Berger HTLR 153.5 grain on Lapua Small Rifle cases and CCI BR4.
Rifle is a Bergara with 24" barrel.
At 1000ft altitude and temperatures between 60 to 95 Farhrenheit Kestrel velocity around 2620 to 2720fps.
groups 1-1.5 moa at 1500 yards

I also shot out to a mile at Clinton house with 24" ruger precision 6.5.

Reactions: Klay23
Just found this thread, but jumping in.

Using the 153 a tip, I've pushed to a mile a few times, and at the KRG extreme the past two years, have pushed them past 1 mile(1800-1900 ish), as well as 220 and 2350.

Even using the 153 and having success with it, I'd say shots within 1500 are fair game, 1500-1800 is solid 2nd round impact territory, and 1800+ is really just for fun.

And are any of you doing it from barrels in the 24-25 inch range?
My brother and I have both went out to a mile a few times down at Coleman’s Creek. I was at 96 MOA with a Sierra 123 GR HPBT. This April we are trying a mile and quarter and at the end of May we are going to see if we can get two miles.

My brother and I have both went out to a mile a few times down at Coleman’s Creek. I was at 96 MOA with a Sierra 123 GR HPBT. This April we are trying a mile and quarter and at the end of May we are going to see if we can get two miles.
I out up a few videos of the shoot and some others if you wanted to check them out

Just found this thread, but jumping in.

Using the 153 a tip, I've pushed to a mile a few times, and at the KRG extreme the past two years, have pushed them past 1 mile(1800-1900 ish), as well as 220 and 2350.

Even using the 153 and having success with it, I'd say shots within 1500 are fair game, 1500-1800 is solid 2nd round impact territory, and 1800+ is really just for fun.

Nice work. Like the 3 in a row.

I remember being surprised after watching a video years ago of someone taking a Ruger American Predator in 6.5cm out to a mile with a 12x SWFA.

I didn't think it had the ass to reach out that far. Very cool to hear that it's being done fairly regularly.

We took my Savage 6.5 out to a mile at Thunder Valley in Ohio. 24” barrel with 147’s at 2750ish.

It was a mild day and I went 2 for 12 but had a slight head wind so it was bouncing 4-5ft of each edge depending on the way the wind shifted.

It was fun but it felt like I was running an artillery piece lol.

I had plans to do a 28” barrel and run RL26 to see what I could do but went another route.

We took my Savage 6.5 out to a mile at Thunder Valley in Ohio. 24” barrel with 147’s at 2750ish.

It was a mild day and I went 2 for 12 but had a slight head wind so it was bouncing 4-5ft of each edge depending on the way the wind shifted.

It was fun but it felt like I was running an artillery piece lol.

I had plans to do a 28” barrel and run RL26 to see what I could do but went another route.

Been there and done that as well. I got a few friends to also shoot my rifle out to a mile at TV. I was spotting for one buddy and told him, on one shot, to use 2 MILs correction. That's about 10.4 feet. He nailed the target.

The time of flight is about 3.5 seconds. If it's a good day, sometimes, you might hear the bullet hit the plate. By a good day, I mean that nobody else is shooting. It takes about 7-8 seconds, after the shot goes off, to hear the bullet hit the plate. It's a faint "tink." From a 100 yard zero the bullet drops an additional 122 feet.

This is my 6.5 mm "artillery piece" at TV. BTW, the LabRadar is gone. I switched to the Garmin which is much better.

For those folks that have never been there, the one mile targets are at the bare spot near the crest of the hill to the right of the upper right corner of the LabRadar.

Please feel free to download, fill in and print the One Mile Club Certificate which is attached and suitable for framing. A One Thousand Yard Club Certificate is also attached. My friends got a kick out of the certificates. Be sure to print on card stock. Both attachments are fillable PDF files.

IMG_4103.jpg

Attachments

• One Mile club Certificate.pdf
    339.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 1000 yard club Certificate.pdf
    349.2 KB · Views: 28
I have done it but would recommend the 6.5 Creedmoor for a mile. Spotting impact or misses is hard without great conditions. I need zero mirage to see and that doesn't happen much at my range. In low wind and high mirage sometimes I can hear a faint ding from 1 mile steel but that's without seeing where I hit or miss, not ideal but fun to lob a few out at 1 mile from time to time.

I have done it but would recommend the 6.5 Creedmoor for a mile. Spotting impact or misses is hard without great conditions. I need zero mirage to see and that doesn't happen much at my range. In low wind and high mirage sometimes I can hear a faint ding from 1 mile steel but that's without seeing where I hit or miss, not ideal but fun to lob a few out at 1 mile from time to time.

Well ya, I don’t think many would recommend it as a mile rifle, but it’s the “longest” chambering I have so I’m definitely going to have fun with it.

I learned a lot about mild head winds that day. It was pretty cool to see such drastic changes from very mild shifts in wind. No matter how many times you draw it on a board, I learn better by seeing it.

Reactions: lash and Milf Dots
I've seen the famous Australian LR couple shoot factory barreled action Rem 700 police rifle in 308 Win put in aluminum chassis, another 6.5 CM to 3000 yds and making hits. No problem...fairly easy for them.
He had good glass with a prism attachment, for adding Mils, and the wife a good spotter,...got it done with cheap factory rifles, and hand loads.
I have little interest in doing so these days, spent many years down the L R rabbit hole.

I run 150 SMK and 153 Atip at 3000 fps with RL 26 in the 6.5 CM, with hybrid cases in the 24" barrel. I have a 26" Bartlein to install after this one is done.

Photo of magnetospeed 140 gr bullet testing to well over 3100 fps in 6.5 CM with the hybrid cases...if ya want a little more performance.
Help getting to 2000 yds if interested, but not necessarily needed.

Attachments

• 20230531_144705.jpg
    20230531_144705.jpg
    645.6 KB · Views: 23
I don't have a 6.5CM but I feel like sharing anyway since the weather is not cooperative right now and I'm staying inside.

One time we were shooting ELR at 1450Y. I felt like trying my 6x47L using 115gr DTACS at 3000 fps. The others had 338L AI, and IIRC 338L, 284 Win, also one 6.5CM. It was very surprising to all of us that I could make hits easier and more often than the others??? I think it came down to lower SD in a hammer of a rifle and wind not too bad. The plate was small as well, like 2/3's IPSC.

Earlier the same day I was using my 30-375 Ruger wildcat with 225's which is very close to 300PRC. This was pre 300PRC advent. Against those afformentioned cartridges the big 30 also got more hits from a mile to about 2100Y. Why, hard to say??

Last year I tried my 6.5 Saum at 1978 yards on a 22" plate. I either hit it 2 or 3 times out of 4 try's. The first shot might have bounced into it. The load was the old 140gr hybrids at 3240 fps. I guessed at a mil holdoff and it was perfect, rare but I'll take it.

These were some of the better times for me in ELR not including a ELR win one time with the 30-375R.

I had already sold my 375 Cheytac which was a wildcat back then but the wind holds were almost half as much as the 30-375R using 350gr solids.

It's been fun trying out all these cartridges.

Hey use what you have. I bet you'll connect on steel. But low SD's(I weigh to the kernal), in a precise rifle, in low winds, helps a lot way out there.

I've gone out to 2,200 yards with factory 140 AMAX years ago.

Worked great out to about 1,900 yards, but past that it was starting to become a bit less predictable.

A mile is no problem with 6.5 Creedmoor.

Reactions: steve123 and lash
Not trying to derail this thread with another caliber but I have shot my 224V out to a mile but not with the results that @Lowlight has achieved.

Just when you think he couldn't top one mile hits...

Reactions: steve123 and lash