• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing How many others do you hunt with?

Remsen

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2006
Northern California (occupied)
I was talking to some non-hunting friends and mentioned that I was planning a hunting trip soon. I was asked who else would be going with me and I responded that I usually hunt alone and prefer it that way (I'm talking about day hunts, not treks into the back country for multiple days). I do more duck, pheasant and turkey hunting than big game hunting, but I really do like going by my self and have never thought that it was unusual. One of the non-hunter friends said that it sounded dangerous to go solo hunting, and I hadn't even considered that.

Am I out of the norm for hunting solo?

Re: How many others do you hunt with?

I solo hunt about half the time usually deer and predators. When hunting birds, elk, and antelope it usualy 2 or 3 of us just because it's a further trip, and agroup of us just picks a couple weekends to do it.

I like to Hunt alone also. But if any of my Family wants to go I am more than willing to take them.

I also hunt alone alot and prefer it that way on some hunts. I do not worry about it being dangerous. I enjoy hunting alone or with someone. The way I see when your time is up, it is up and it does not matter what you are doing. Have fun and enjoy it.

I share a camp with huntin buddies but 99% of the time I sit alone. Turkey huntin may be the only exception since sometimes its easier to have a caller and designated shooter. Bow hunt solo, and I prefer it that way. Rifle hunt solo, again preferred and until my kids are old enough to sit with me thats the way it will be. If someone wanted to hunt for their first time I would certainly offer to let them sit with me as a sort of apprenticeship.

I always hunt with a buddy, It's more fun for me to be able to share the experience then to sit out alone.I get bored. Plus, someone has to drive and someone has to shoot.

cimg1823j.jpg

I solo hunt about most of the time. There are only two people I trust enough to hunt with when not solo. The combination of safe gun handling, common sense and respect for the game and land seem to be a rare commodity these days.

I hunt alone most of the time but as metioned before if one of my brothers would like to come along I am more than willing to babysit.
eek.gif

solo for me unless my father or friend in sf returns to deer hunt other than them i am 99% solo

I normally hunt with one friend, we're both Army trigger pullers so together we have alot of good skills and gear which helps.

Hunting alone would be good but we have alot of snakes and shit where I shoot so it's not the best idea.

I hunt solo in my own small sector, but never take to the field alone. I will always have a colleague nearby and available by radio if the situation warrants it, and do periodic radio checks just to maintain a reasonable level of safety and security. Considering my age and health, common sense precautions are the order of the day. I may not be combat ready, but I'll exercise my hunting opportunities as much and as long as I can.

bird hunting....the more the merrier
pig hunting.....take the quite ones that move well with a loaded weapon
deer hunting from a stand.....take as many kiddos as the blind will hold

yotes......pairs work best

My son graduated last year to solo hunting, so now I am getting ready to take some of his friends hunting.

I like to hunt alone. Very relaxing to be alone in the woods.

Camp has four hunters, and two camp women, but all hunt alone, in different areas of the forest.
I take my wife to my stand sometimes, just to spend time quietly (no talking) but mostly alone.
We both appreciate the solitude.

I don't mind going out and scouting or hunting by myself, its very relaxing and keeps you in tune. But I find it much more enjoyable hunting with my family and friends and sharing cool experiences in amazing places with them. Plus, my buddies and I never go out without coming back with a new story and memories.

I spend most of my time hunting alone which is fine with me. Most of the people I know are non-hunters.

Deer hunting is 50% alone the other half is with my dad or brother on the property. Ducks geese phesants doves are most of the time with 6+. We usually go to different blinds for the ducks and geese (3 people) and walk for the phesants. Doves is usually with us in a field shooting out from the center as not to shot anyone. If you do hunt alone and on big property i would say get one of those GPS beacons and always tell someone where youi are. On my solo deer hunts i would tell my dad what stand I was going to and even if the one I picked sucked I stayed put just in case bad things happen.

I usually hunt alone for coyotes and deer hunting.I like to still hunt. If my daughters hunting we go together.
We hunt in pairs out in WY for antelope and will this year for mule deer. I like having my son along to help bone out and carry some meat back to camp ;-)
Our third member from last year won't be making the trip west this year, he got invited to jump out of a perfectly good airplane after he's done at Ft. Leonard Wood.

For deer, I hunt alone, and am cruising around our ranch on foot for a few days at a time. But, as Greg mentioned, I always carry a radio with me. We use the radios that have GPS in them just in case.

Fall out of a tree, step in a hole and break an ankle, snake bite...There are way too many ways to get in trouble when outdoors. Best to have a radio and never need it than not have it and need it.

And, whether Im hunting our private property, or public land, I always make it a point to tell Heidi or someone where I will be and when to expect me home.

For birds, the more the merrier.

I never go hunting by myself. If I'm deer hunting I will be in the stand by myself, but still go hunting with someone else which is usually my cousin. Most of the hunting I do is waterfowl hunting and it just isn't the same going by yourself. I've done it and had successfull hunts but the thing I enjoy most about waterfowl hunting is watching the dog work and the BS'ing that goes on between the bird work.

Archery, Muzzleloader alone 99% of the time. Rifle slightly less than 99% of the time. During opening week, and the end of deer rifle I might have my yougest with me, and several other buddies on the property, we check in about mid day and at dark -out to dinner.

The key is letting my wife and my buddy who owns the land know where I'm at. I always have a cell phone in silent mode on me for any immediate emergency.

I have a buddy down there with me at all times, and we know in what general area we are hunting, but each of us actually prefers to sit alone, but that said i will always take the oppurtunity to take a child, girl, or family member with me

I like to share the hunt. Big game & bird hunting with my son and/or daughter have been some of the best memories I have. To be alone, I go fishing.

50/50 mix of alone and with no more than 1 friend.

If I'm hunting my parents land or the other friend with a farm, I'll usually just hunt alone since the areas are not that big.

Bird or small game I usually go with a friend because it's a chance to catch up and hang out together.

Some deer I hunt with that 1 friend, I can trust his "moving with a loaded weapon" skills/safety (thanks for the phrase boltripper). Usually that's when we're brush hunting near his parents house around a reservoir or shooting over an old strip mine where a spotter is usually a necessity.

1 or 2 other people tops. I cant stand the jack asses that get 15 or 20 people and put on drives for white tail. Aside from scaring every living thing off within 2 miles when the shooting starts its almost WWII and bullets are flying everywhere.

Id rather be by myself and track

For bird hunting, a couple of other hunters is not bad, but I have never viewed deer hunting as a group activity. I only hunt alone.

We have a core group of 7 guys. We are always hunting together. For me that is a big part of the fun.

Our group is now 8. My best friends son(1st. grader) starting hunting with us last year. So he is our #1 priority. I never knew how much fun kids could be(do not have any).

We were a little larger group, but I lost my Father. And he was my best hunting buddy. He hunted til the day he died(84 years old). He was probably the worst hunter in the world. But he was #1 to me. Tom.