• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How Many Reloads for Peterson 6.5 CM Brass?

RaptorAddict

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2020
Simi Valley, California
So far I have 11 reloads out of my Peterson brass in 6.5 CM with LRP pockets. I take care in my brass prep, such as annealing each time, thoroughly cleaning, trimming, chamfer and deburr, primer pocket cleaning, the whole works. The neck tension is still great and primers still seat with proper resistance. Was curious if others have reloaded these far past the amount of times I have and when they knew its was time to throw away and buy new brass. So far my accuracy has been spot on, so I can't see getting new brass just yet.

Reactions: simonp and DIBBS
I have a bunch of Peterson in 6.5-CM and 300-WM ... only on my 4th firing but super happy with the quality of this brass. I'd be thrilled to get it into double-digits.

Reactions: RaptorAddict
I got 15 - 16 before I started seeing a few primer pockets get a little loose with a warm load. I was running 144s at 2885 and then backed off to 2760. I bet I could have run the 2760 to 20+ loads.

I would worry about monitoring shoulder bump more than any of the process steps you listed if brass life is your concern. Three main modes of failure won't hold a primer, CHS, and split neck. 15 reloads isn't super hard to get if you aren't over bumping shoulders or over pressure.

I would worry about monitoring shoulder bump more than any of the process steps you listed if brass life is your concern. Three main modes of failure won't hold a primer, CHS, and split neck. 15 reloads isn't super hard to get if you aren't over bumping shoulders or over pressur

I would worry about monitoring shoulder bump more than any of the process steps you listed if brass life is your concern. Three main modes of failure won't hold a primer, CHS, and split neck. 15 reloads isn't super hard to get if you aren't over bumping shoulders or over pressure.
I don't think I'm over bumping as I bump just enough to not feel any rough resistance on the bolt when locking a round in the chamber. So far the primer pockets are tight and no split necks.

I have a box of Peterson 300 Win Mag "Long" brass that has 9 reloadings on it... Maybe more, I would have to check. Still going strong.

Take care of it and it should last a while.

Mike