• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

how many rifles do you need?

Re: how many rifles do you need?

Super..... good post.
whistle.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PaulStafford</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
there are two possible answers.
1) n+1, where n = number of rifles you currently own

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">2_ s-1, where s = the number of rifles that would result in separation from your spouse</span></span> </div></div>

That may not be a bad thing in some situations. Just saying....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PaulStafford</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
there are two possible answers.
1) n+1, where n = number of rifles you currently own

2_ s-1, where s = the number of rifles that would result in separation from your spouse </div></div>

The perfect answer!!!!

I explain it this way to people, "You know how golfers have a whole bag of clubs for different shots? Well, I think this shot calls for a nine iron (removes rifle from safe)."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkeye</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I explain it this way to people, "You know how golfers have a whole bag of clubs for different shots? Well, I think this shot calls for a nine iron (removes rifle from safe)." </div></div>

Guns are probably cheaper than golf....

In an attempt to mathematically optimize (maximize) the value for "n", I carried out the following rearrangement using the two equations provided:

1) Solve for the maximum value of "n" without <span style="font-style: italic">exceeding</span> "s - 1":

a) n + 1 </= s - 1

2) Rearrange:

b) n </= s - 1 - 1
c) n </= s - 2

3) Because "n" must never be greater than "s - 1", and the quantity for rifle number must be an integer and not a fractional value, we can therefore state that in fact, "s - 2" , and NOT "s - 1" is the maximum theoretical limit for "n" (Equation c).

4) Equation c) provides unequivocal mathematical proof of two very important points: first, that <span style="font-style: italic">"s" will always be the limiting factor that determines "n"</span>; and second, <span style="font-style: italic">the number she allows you to have will always be AT LEAST two fewer than the number you actually want to have</span>.

GSTaylor- brilliant!

"the number she allows you to have will always be AT LEAST two fewer than the number you actually want to have". Can we call it the Taylor Rule?

This is a great insight (or sad commentary, take your pick) into just how much we are willing to give up for sex.

I do think there's probably some research work that could be done about fractional rifle ownership (Spare barrels, scopes, stocks, etc.) I am hoping for a way around your integer requirement. This approach may provide a way around this conundrum.

Lets not forget that s could be a changing variable depending on how she's treated. Momma happy = s increasing

You can have all the rifles in the world but if you don't have any ammo they are worthless. Life is about moderation
wink.gif

I believe the <span style="font-style: italic">true</span> brilliance was your initial recognition that in most (but admittedly not all) cases it can really be narrowed down to only two possible variables. After that, the math is easy (LOL).

The main problem as I see it (from purely scientific point of view, of course) with the issue of fractional rifle ownership is that it introduces a third complex variable into the equations outlined above. This variable is unfortunately very poorly defined and is highly dependent on the individuals involved. Specifically, I'm refering to the "cyhi" [<span style="text-decoration: underline">c</span>an <span style="text-decoration: underline">y</span>ou <span style="text-decoration: underline">h</span>ide <span style="text-decoration: underline">i</span>t?] coefficient that would then have to be applied reciprocally to both the "n" and the "s-2" terms as shown in Equation d:

d) n(cyhi) </= [s - 2(1/cyhi)]

A <span style="font-style: italic">perfect</span> ability to hide extra parts such as barrels, scopes, etc. would result in a "cyhi" coefficient of 1.0, therefore no changes would occur to either the "n" or "s-2" terms. However, as the ability to successfully hide said items decreased, the "cyhi" coefficient would then fall below 1.0, thus reducing "n" on the left side of Equation c even further.

At the same time, the reciprocal "cyhi" term on the right side of the equation would increase proportionally with the liklihood of discovery, possibly resulting in the equation changing to "s-3", "s-4", or even worse, depending on the volatile nature of "s".

Yeah, I know...<span style="font-style: italic">way</span> too much time on my hands. IMO, the best thing is to do you're told and as stonefly pointed out, keep Momma happy (LOL). Nice post!

Interesting topic.
Wife won't leave. I've gone way past what would have driven most wives away and she is still hanging in there.
I might have to stop buying more rifles until I get the 4th gun safe though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can have all the rifles in the world but if you don't have any ammo they are worthless. Life is about moderation
wink.gif
</div></div>

Yes, I have a stock, an action getting rebarreled and a GAP in progress all going to be calling me for money about the same time. This has put quite a solid crimp on my ammo funds. Rendering my one current in hand rifle not very useful.

I guess I'm different. I don't buy guns based on NEED. I buy rifles (Pistol/Revolvers) based on WANT.

My misses doen't care. She knows I can take care of her regardless what I spend on guns.

But seldom do I set out to buy a gun. I'm an implus buyer.

An example is I just ordered a 7.62 Nagant revolver. Don't ask me why cause I don't know. But after ordering it, I though how much fun it would be to shoot a Multi Gun match using the Nagant Revolver and Mosin Rifle. Kind of a Vintage Military As Issued Multi Gun match.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kalman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[Guns are probably cheaper than golf.... </div></div>

Most definitely not! A nice set of custom sticks is about the same as one mid range NF. A round of golf is about as much as one trip to the range if not less when you factor in the cost of ammo.

Overall, for me, guns are a far more expensive pastime. Of course in golf drinking while playing is almost a requirement, and the cart girls, let us not forget the cart girls!

As many rifles as I can get, as long as I can get the ammo to go with them. I always tell my wife if the sh** hits the fan I dont want to die from a lack of shooting back.
wink.gif

That's a great formula gstaylorg ! Funny as hell.
I broke down and decided on my last rifle purchase that I would fess up on the latest buy and not use "cyhi" formula.
I found that the number actually fluctuated for a short time between s-3 and "YGTS" ( Your going to suffer ) but has settled back into s-2 with a understanding that I won't use "cyhi"

I think that this sub-formula has to be factored in at some point though...

evil-women.jpg

John

Ummm...I was under the impression there would be no math.

All that I can provide ammunition for in a reasonable quantity. Reasonable, being a number that increases exponentially with the rise in cost of basic needs such as fuel and groceries.

I buy what I want,when I want and the arrangement has long suited me.

Started out with one a month. Bad Economy , Gas prices are up the rents too dam high. Down to one every three months.

The equation is perfect. Only problem is you never know the value is "s" until it's too late. So like any math problem you are faced with when you are not good with math, you start with "1" and keep adding, until you eventually figure out what the value of "s" truly is. But then, by the nature of the formula, you've gone too far. Damn!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DamnYuppie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kalman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[Guns are probably cheaper than golf.... </div></div>

Most definitely not! A nice set of custom sticks is about the same as one mid range NF. A round of golf is about as much as one trip to the range if not less when you factor in the cost of ammo.

Overall, for me, guns are a far more expensive pastime. Of course in golf drinking while playing is almost a requirement, and the cart girls, let us not forget the cart girls! </div></div>

A golf course is a waste of a good rifle range!

I like my rifle count like my dalmatian puppies.... 101 of them
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt Henry</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DamnYuppie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kalman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[Guns are probably cheaper than golf.... </div></div>

Overall, for me, guns are a far more expensive pastime. Of course in golf drinking while playing is almost a requirement, and the cart girls, let us not forget the cart girls! </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">A golf course is a waste of a good rifle range!</span> </div></div>

That gave me a pretty good idea (now granted it is only 5 am over here in egypt). Imagine a golf course where the PAR on the course was 1 shot per target i.e. par 3 = 3 steel targets of varying sizes with 1st shot hits on each. You just replace the hole with a couple of steel targets depending on the range and build a berm around the green. That way you get a walking target range with ~72 steel targets of ranges varying from an easy par 3 120yd target to a par 5 500yd with 1/2 moa targets. Kinda like an urban steel safari.

Call me crazy, but i think im on to something. lol

Not a bad idea. Probably want to separate the "greens" and tee boxes a little more than usual (LOL). Only questions I have are: 1) do the old guys get to use carts? and 2) am I right in guessing slow play in front of you won't be an issue?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think that this sub-formula has to be factored in at some point though...

evil-women.jpg

John </div></div>
may be true but Girls = Fun sometimes too
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt Henry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

A golf course is a waste of a good rifle range! </div></div>

LMAO, I agree!

For me the answer is always the same as the question how much money is enough. Always one more dollar and always one more rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt Henry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A golf course is a waste of a good rifle range! </div></div>

This would make a good T shirt.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe the <span style="font-style: italic">true</span> brilliance was your initial recognition that in most (but admittedly not all) cases it can really be narrowed down to only two possible variables. After that, the math is easy (LOL).

The main problem as I see it (from purely scientific point of view, of course) with the issue of fractional rifle ownership is that it introduces a third complex variable into the equations outlined above. This variable is unfortunately very poorly defined and is highly dependent on the individuals involved. Specifically, I'm refering to the "cyhi" [<span style="text-decoration: underline">c</span>an <span style="text-decoration: underline">y</span>ou <span style="text-decoration: underline">h</span>ide <span style="text-decoration: underline">i</span>t?] coefficient that would then have to be applied reciprocally to both the "n" and the "s-2" terms as shown in Equation d:

d) n(cyhi) </= [s - 2(1/cyhi)]

A <span style="font-style: italic">perfect</span> ability to hide extra parts such as barrels, scopes, etc. would result in a "cyhi" coefficient of 1.0, therefore no changes would occur to either the "n" or "s-2" terms. However, as the ability to successfully hide said items decreased, the "cyhi" coefficient would then fall below 1.0, thus reducing "n" on the left side of Equation c even further.

At the same time, the reciprocal "cyhi" term on the right side of the equation would increase proportionally with the liklihood of discovery, possibly resulting in the equation changing to "s-3", "s-4", or even worse, depending on the volatile nature of "s".

Yeah, I know...<span style="font-style: italic">way</span> too much time on my hands. IMO, the best thing is to do you're told and as stonefly pointed out, keep Momma happy (LOL). Nice post!</div></div>

No question,.... you have to solve for "S"

You need to know if she's endothermic or exothermic...
wink.gif
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ummm...I was under the impression there would be no math.
</div></div>

I had a guy tell me this in a math class I taught once...

you need 1 if your a sniper and a 50 cal if you want to be a good 1

I can think of 2 at the moment. An SPS varmint with a new stock, and an AR10 with a 20" barrel and free float rail system. Gonna put Super Snipers on both of them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or momma gone = more $ for guns!</div></div>

You must be happily married or you would have experienced the rule

momma gone + taken all the damn money

Just enough to keep the Double Wide from blowing away...

Need? One.

Have? Somewhere North of One.

Want? That's a <span style="font-style: italic">very</span> good question.

Will be married 41 years in July. We have this arrangement; when the bills are paid, what's left is negotiable. I think that's fair enough.

Greg

I am of the opinion that I only need to own 3 rifles, all configured the same.
I would add a qualification that I have several barrels ready to go for re-barreling those rifles and I have a much greater quantity of ammo for said rifles than needed.