• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How many rounds before a PMAG Wears out

pnorris

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2012
I hear people buying huge numbers of PMAGs and I start to wonder if they would ever use them in 5 lifetimes. Realistically, how many rounds can you get out of PMAG before it is garbage.

Re: How many rounds before a PMAG Wears out

Good question, pnorris. I've wondered the same thing, looking forward to hearing some responses.
I know PMags seems to reign supreme, but same question about the Troy Battlemags...anybody have life expectancy on those as well?

I have a couple (20 and 30-round early production) PMAGs that have well over 10k per mag through them and still run like the day they got pulled out of the bag with the exception of replaced floorplates that got broken/cracked from getting dropped on concrete/gravel.

As with all things magazine-related...they are intended to be somewhat disposable items. The service life for each mag will vary wildly based on how they are being used, the kind of abuses they are subjected to, whether or not they are properly maintained, etc. I have seen PMAGs with few to ZERO rounds through them have badly damaged feed lips because they were loaded up full and left in an ammo box without the dust covers on them. Over time, the spring pressure shoving the rounds against the feed lips will deform them or break them outright if care isn't taken to prevent the damage (i.e. - if you store loaded mags, use the dust covers to take the pressure off the feedlips). Again...YMMV!
wink.gif

I can't speak to the BattleMags as I don't use them routinely and haven't enough hands on experience with them to comment. The ones I have used appear to be well-made and durable, but that's more observational than proven/tested-over-time evidence based on my experiences with them.

I too would like to learn of the "forecasted" life of a pmag. I may be way off base here, but here is my personal take -

When breaking doen the pmag into subcomponents, you have pieces that are subject to wear, pieces that are not subject to wear, and springs.

My personal inclination is that the way a pmag is stored away is going to bear more of an impact than anything. Any spring that is heavily compressed for long periods of time will not have the same period of service life as a spring that is spared from being subjected to long periods of sustained compresion.

Example - When looking at the design of most torque wrenches, you will find that the torque setting is adjusted by applying varying degrees of tension to the internal spring. Torque wrench manufacturers recommend that the torque setting of their wrenches be reduced to zero after each use to reduce unnecessary tension of the spring.

In managing and maintaining torque tool certifications in my line of work, I have found that torque wrenches that are stored under tension are more likely to fail an "as found" calibration test (as opposed to a properly stored torque wrench). These wrenches can often be brought back into spec through a series of adjustments and recalibration, but it speaks volumes towards spring rate change when said springs are stored under tension.

I personally do not store any mags in a loaded state that are not expected to be required for imediate service. I would not expect a mag that sits loaded in the safe for long periods of time to provide the same spring life as a mag stored beside it in a unloaded state.

Just my 2 cents.......

Just buy the HK mags they will last forever!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GunMax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just buy the HK mags they will last forever! </div></div>
Especially if they don't fit your rifle. (Sorry, couldn't resist)

I agree as to storing loaded. I don't do that either. Assuming they are stored unloaded, I am just curious as to the potential round count one can reach assuming they are not abused.

Magpul says the service life of a pmag is comparable to that of a barrel.

I know the Pmags used on rental guns at nearby shooting range must have tens of thousands of rounds through them. I may call them and ask how theirs have held up so far.

if you cant keep them loaded what good are they? hey wait mister bad guy while i load my fresh good lipped pmags...

That is why I like Lancer mags, the best of both worlds. Light weight body, steel feed lips.

However, I'm sure a pmag will last most a life time.

Pmags will out last most shooters. There is nothing wrong with storing them loaded. I have shot mags that have been loaded for years and the function just fine.

Ok so for extended long term storage of extra mags would it be wise to disassemble the mag in order to relieve 100% of compression stress from the spring?

I can't give you a round count but I've been using my current set since 2010 and that includes nearly two years usage in Afghanistan. They've been cycled through countless times and many will disagree with this but I almost never stored them with the dust cover on and they have been full nearly the entire time I've had them.

Current set consists of 7 windowed PMAGs in FDE. I still have another set of 7 non windowed as my backups. I planned on rotating the stock with the new ones but I haven't had any issues so far even with full auto on issued M4. I understand some people have had issues with them but that's just my experience.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BMerrick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I personally do not store any mags in a loaded state that are not expected to be required for imediate service. I would not expect a mag that sits loaded in the safe for long periods of time to provide the same spring life as a mag stored beside it in a unloaded state.
</div></div>
I'll preface by saying that I can't readily remember the source, but I will endeavor to cite it at some point. That said, I do remember reading somewhere from what I considered to be a reputable and knowledgeable source that mags could be stored over 20 years fully loaded without damage to the springs. They had Vietnam-era mags that had been loaded and stored since that time to back up their claims btw. As for the feed lips; that's what those little "dust covers" are for. They press ever so slightly on that top round, thus removing the pressure from the feed lips.

My opinion is that magazine use wears out magazines more than storing the magazines loaded will. The feed lips on some magazines can spread if the magazine is stored loaded, but Pmags come with a cover to prevent exactly that issue.

Look at it this way:

The magazines that I carry at work are loaded at all times. Some of those magazines have been stored loaded for nearly a decade, and have cycled literally 10's of thousands of rounds.

Also, I recently found a magazine laying around my house that I probably loaded over 15 years ago. It was one of the first USGI magazines I purchased, and was used when I bought it. It cycled without any problems at the range when I "unloaded" it last week.

I used to worry about unloading my magazines, but it really isn't all that necessary.

I've been using 4 for the past 4 years and thousands of rounds through them, tossed the dust covers when I got them and I've had zero issues.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smokeroller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok so for extended long term storage of extra mags would it be wise to disassemble the mag in order to relieve 100% of compression stress from the spring? </div></div>

Bogus Myth. The compressing and uncompressing of the spring is what weakens them...a.k.a. using them. Keeping mags fully loaded for long periods of time does zero harm to the magazine or springs.

Who cares if the springs wear out- I dunno about you guys but my mag springs get replaced every few years- Springs are cheap and DISPOSABLE- use them then lose them. Keep a few old ones as back ups.

I think Magpul concluded that the dust covers were "unnecessary" in regards to protecting the feed lips of the mags. I may be wrong but i'm about 90% sure of this.

I haven't had to buy any new pmags as of lately but i was also under the impression that they weren't shipping dust covers with them anymore (i've only heard this). Maybe someone can clarify.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DogBone87</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think Magpul concluded that the dust covers were "unnecessary" in regards to protecting the feed lips of the mags. I may be wrong but i'm about 90% sure of this.

I haven't had to buy any new pmags as of lately but i was also under the impression that they weren't shipping dust covers with them anymore (i've only heard this). Maybe someone can clarify. </div></div>
I got 25 of them just before the recent crap-storm hit and they all came with the dust covers.

Just received 556 and 308 PMags in the last few weeks and all came with dust covers.