• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing How many rounds before re-barreling?

Re: How many rounds before re-barreling?

A lot will depend on the cartridge. And a lot will also depend on how hot you load for it. Some barrel makers will say the "guilded edge" of the accuracy is good for 3 to 4000 rounds. Most good barrels will not fall off too bad until 8 to 12000 rounds. Everyone has their own definition of what they figure is OK accuracy. For a benchrest shooter 2 to 4000 means new barrel time in some cases. High power rifle shooters will go to 10,000 rounds sometimes. Range rats and plinkers will shoot up 20,000 rounds and never look down the barrel with a borescope.

Bart Bobbit has made a formula.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.guns/browse_thread/thread/882f82a0a402796f/40e27dd420165d50

The only trouble with it, is that he is a Camp Perry competitor.
His threshold of shot out, is more stringent than mine.
But it works for me in a relative way.

Who is Bart Bobbit?
I have been following his trail around the internet since May 1997:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.guns/browse_thread/thread/88bef3bfe724b497/dcd9a8bf2c3f8c52

He has the unique ability to learn the science and rituals of accuracy and to explain it on the internet.

I at the same place. .308 Win Kreger with 5500 round down range and shot a 1/2 inch 5 shot group and a 1 inch 10 shot group at 100 yards.

I have a benchrest barrel chambered in 6PPC that has between 5000 and 6000 rounds through it. It shoots 3/8 to 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards pretty reliably. But that kind of group won't win any benchrest matches. Most BR matches are won with 5 shot groups in the 3/16ths range. .187" is a high teen score. If all five groups are that size or smaller, you might win an aggrigate.

A lot also has to do with the round you are shooting. load up some of the small bore hyper velocity magnums and they will eat the throat out of a barrel in 1,500 rounds. Load up a mild shooting big bore and it will last ten times that. Another factor is how much you heat up the barrel when you shoot. A good day on the dog towns will have the barrel hot enough to burn your hands... Not good for barrel life... While a couple rounds down range with 20 minutes in between will prolong that life.

And the starting quality of the barrel will also be a factor. A crappy low cost tube will lose accuracy faster then a top quality hand lapped stainless barrel.

I would just shoot it till it gets to the point you cant shoot a group thats acceptable to YOUR standards. I am sure David Tubb throws away barrels that are more accurate then what comes out of some factory "custom shops"... but then again, he also has sponsors that supply him with new steel for free and needs that extra .0001" of tightness to win. Whereas you and I can get by with a 1/2 or 1moa rifle instead of his 1/4moa rifle.
I have a 308 with a little over 5,000 down the bore that has opened up a little from what it was new, but its still under an inch even on a windy day at 100 yards.
When is it time to rebarrel? It is up to you and you alone.

JerryM
If you take off that barrel please send it to me. I have a 308 project gun I can use it for, I will pay the shipping.
Dave

Beyond shooting another major factor is how you clean it. I have seen about as many barrels that were cleaned to death as I have that were actually shot out. One barrel I have arround here was in .223 and only had about 10K down it, but the guy was determined he needed to completely scrub it with JB every 10 rounds. It only has good rifling in about the last 3 inches, and tapers away until there is none visible at all for about 10 inches forward of the chamber.