• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How many rounds do you have through your 308?

alan98

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2008
Pennsylvania
Just figured I'd post this for an idea....how many rounds do you have through your 308? Custom tube or no?? Any decrease in accuracy so far? Just trying to get an idea of 308 win. barrel life.

Alan

Re: How many rounds do you have through your 308?

I have about 600 rounds through a factory Rem 700 VS barrel. I have to say that I never properly "broke it in", but it will regularily put them into an inch all day long with Fed or Rem factory 150 gr stuff at 100 yards. I've read here that you can get several thousand rounds out of a 308 barrel with the right circumstances. Hope this helps.

I shot the barrels out of two Remington 308VSs and they both were toast at just over 4000rds. The accuracy just started getting worse. One day it was a .5 to .6 rifle the next it was .7 to 1 inch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: raptor99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shot the barrels out of two Remington 308VSs and they both were toast at just over 4000rds. The accuracy just started getting worse. One day it was a .5 to .6 rifle the next it was .7 to 1 inch. </div></div>

Bummer...

I'm at about 3000 on my year old SPS and hoped for 5-6000 before I had to find a smith and choose a new barrel.

What did you replace them with and how are they lasting?

I have a bartlein 5r on mine. I was curious if anyone has say 5k rounds on a custom tube with no noticable decrease in accuracy yet. I read where some say 5-8K for a good 308 tube, while others state 4k or under.

Alan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alan98</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a bartlein 5r on mine. I was curious if anyone has say 5k rounds on a custom tube with no noticable decrease in accuracy yet. I read where some say 5-8K for a good 308 tube, while others state 4k or under.</div></div>

A few things contribute to this.

Many folks try to push the pressure limits of their loadings. Like trying to push 155s to 3000+fps.

Rapid fire strings that really heat up the barrels.

Varying degrees of acceptable accuracy. Some folks are OK with their gun as long as it's sub MOA. Other folks get upset if the accuracy goes past .5 MOA.

Factory Winchester Heavy Varmint. 7000+ rounds and still sub 1/2 MOA. Mostly a diet of fairly slow 175's and 178's. This one will be "Lawtonized" and a Manners stock when she finally gives up the ghost.

Bartlein barreled 308 from GAP. Lil over 2000 rounds of nothing but 155's and I hope the barrel lasts....ARP will have to repaint the new one to match. Sure wish this thing would shoot 178's.

Several others mixed in varying from 500 to 5000 rounds. Waiting to burn some out so I can build a couple new rifles.

My barrel went at a little over 4000 but I push it hard and fast and shoot hot loads. Had it set back and it shoots great again. It's a Broughton 10 twist.

I have around 1200 through my stock barrel sps-v. I haven't really tried to push my reloads yet, but I'm sure the day will come when I try for a few extra fps. So far it's sub moa with my handloads, some days sub .5 and other days just sub moa. That's probably not much help, but figured I'd throw it out there anyways.

I am coming up on 3K through my DPMS semi auto. It is a factory AP4 profile barrel. Factory loads only so far and it is more accurate now than before or maybe it is that I am more accurate with it than before.

I bought a Hart barrel with 4K rounds thru it, and had my gunsmith rechamber and recrown it. That was 4K rounds ago. It still holds .4-.7 depending on how I shoot. I don't really shoot 100 yard groups very often, but it holds sub MOA out to 700 yards routinely.

4700 through a Remington VSSF. First 3500 were almost all Fed 168 match with cleaning at least every 25-40 rounds. Last 1000 or so have been BN 155 Bergers at 2900 and cleaning every 3-400 rounds. Still runs under 3/4moa with factory match but not at the 1/2moa mark where it started.

I have 7,500 rds down the barrel of my KMW.
It still hold 3/4 moa but I am having it re barreled.

L.

I had ~3K of 155 Scenars pushing 2970fps through my Krieger Barrel before it went tits up.

SHR#50 - rebarreled after 15k+ <span style="font-style: italic">(George said we were missing 4" of rifling, yet still held subMOA)</span> -- barrel was a Rock.

The Original Harbinger, 10K+ right now, needs to be rebarreled its only holding about a .75" to an 1"... barrel is a Broughton.

That makes me happy to have rock tubes on mine. 400 and counting, so I guess I have a longways to go before I can start blameing my barrel.

Stopped counting after about 1000 - never seen any change in the accuracy of the rifle, although I've gotten better at shooting it. I'm thinking my shoulder will probably wear out before my barrel does. 1 MOA accuracy is good enough for me any day of the week and twice on Sundays. I'm willing to bet that most people rebarrel long before they need to.
.308 isn't really a barn burner round, and though I've only had my rifle for a few years, I don't plan on rebarreling until I finally decide to have someone do some smithing to it (probably in another 5-10 years).

I have put 20 BH 168gr. BH Match down a factory 20" Remington XCR barrel. I just started a new job after a 6 week layoff and haven't had the time to get to the range.

My first custom rifle a Winchester 308 NRA "match" rifle (set up for stripper clips and a 5 round magazine) by Gunsmith Bill Baker Hart 1/11 barrel was shooting Berger 210's in the 4 inch range at 600 yards with 4000 + rounds. Rebarreled it with a Rock 1/11.25 and sold the rig. First Palma rifle, Accuracy International Palma-master 1/13 (believe it was a Border) lasted 3500 rounds X count was going down. 4 Krieger 1/13 lasted between 4000/4500. Currently running a Bartlien and a Brux.

I have too many rifles and not enough trigger time and rounds down range.

Need to remedy that.

Lots of replies. I was hoping to get around 4000 then maybe get it set back from 24" to 22" or so and get another couple thousand. I'm in the process of building a 300WM and I know that thing wont have the barrel life of the 308 win. Oh well
smile.gif

Alan

QueeQueg,
I rebarreled it with a Pac Nor super match and it has around 3000 rounds through it an shoots as good as the day it was new.

Like someone said it depends on "HOW" you shoot them an how hot your loads are. I do push mine pretty good. I am getting 2800+fps out of my 168s so they still shoot good at 1000yds.

I rebarreled the other one to a 260 and its on its 3rd barrel. I shoot this rifle most of the time. I hardly shoot the 308 anymore because of the 260. I had this barrel set back at around 1800rds trying to streach out the barrel life as much as possible because its really a good shooter.