• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How many rounds out of new barrel before it reaches potential?

HumbleEinstein

Minuteman
Sep 17, 2013
Virginia
I have a new .308 Rem 700 SPS AAC-SD in an XLR chassis. I'm going to take it out for the first time shortly. For better or worse, I have decided not to do any break-in on it. I'm just going to start shooting.

My question is: Should I expect there to be some number of rounds fired before the barrel exposes what its true accuracy potential is going to be? If so, approximately how many rounds?

I'm hoping this rifle can serve in a long range precision role. I would be very pleased with half MOA, but I know it's a bit of a crap shoot.

Last edited:
You should clean it before you take it out.

My newest barrel shot considerably better after it got about 30 rounds through it.

Just curious why you don't want to do break-in on a new rifle?

I don't really want to start this debate in this thread. Also, I don't want to tell anyone else what to do. Personally, I like corroborated data. If I can't find that, I'll give extra weight to the opinion of experts. I did thorough research and I couldn't find any scientific that proves it helps accuracy. In fact, many of the experts think it doesn't. There does seem to be some consensus that it will reduce fouling. On the flip side, there is an increased probability of damaging the barrel during the cleaning process. Lastly, it might even shorten the barrel's life. Not to mention, its a pain in the ass.

Back to my question though. How many rounds before my barrel comes into its own?

Reactions: klf
From what I've seen with several custom barrels, after about 300 rounds the velocity should stabilize a bit and be more consistent. You'll tend to see velocity increase slightly up to about this number of rounds from first load development. Hopefully other high volume shooters will chime in also as this is just what Ive noticed with my barrels.

Geb

I find most my barrels have given me the best accuracy and velocities have become consistent around 150-200 rounds. Some less but never any more.

The first 50 rounds down my Bartlein and the groups started to tighten up considerably. YMMV for a factory Remington barrel...
I would also have to agree with Rob's round count as it pertains to my velocities leveling out.

I've also noted barrels speeding up a little over the first 100-200 rounds, but I haven't seen much change in accuracy. I haven't had lots and lots of fresh barrels (so defer to what the highly experienced guys have to say), but I also haven't seen one that shoots "poorly" or "ok" become "good" or "great" either.

My buddy got a new build with a Benchmark barrel and we were concerned about its' accuracy at first. After about 100 rounds it settled right down and now it's a shooter. He hasn't cleaned it yet, it keeps getting more accurate every time he shoots it. I've noticed similar effect. I clean my bore minimally. I notice accuracy suffers after I clean a barrel, pretty significantly, and it takes about another 100 shots to get it back to where I like it to be. I'm not a pro, just a guy who observes stuff, and this is what I've noticed, take it fwiw.

I find most my barrels have given me the best accuracy and velocities have become consistent around 150-200 rounds. Some less but never any more.

This. Though from time to time you'll get a very rough factory barrel that may need a little longer.

Don't listen to the barrel break in nonsense. I've tried those procedures and I still had to fire lap before the barrel broke in. The clean one shoot one type break in just wastes ammo, barrel life, and cleaning components. You're on the right track with just shooting it.

I'm by no means an expert on bolt guns, but my AR barrels made for precision came with a disclaimer for barrel break in that read :

"Install and shoot it, no break in needed!"

Something in those lines, and that was from Noveske (which I consider the best AR barrels)

I don't see how bolt guns can be any different, but on the other hand if a smith from GAP told me the break in by 1.,2.,3.,ect I would follow his words. I would not make my decision from the internet (no offense people).

I would just shoot it.

My new Bartlien 1/11.25 in .308 got kinda slow velocities at first, but I noticed as the round count increased so did my velocity. I'm only at like ~80 rounds so far.

My Bartlein barrel group size decreased dramatically after 100 rounds. It does not take much. I did, however, conduct the barrel break procedures as prescribed by the folks at GA Precision.

I only have experience with one premium quality barrel. But was it something like 15-20 rounds and I could really tell the groups shrink up. I started off with the intentions to follow to the letter GAP's breakin procedures but that all went away after about 5 rounds. Just kind of got excited and shot it. I can't complain though. Barrel is a bartlein.

No break in, minimum cleaning, and then started shooting this Krieger in 6.5X47L. Here's a 5 shot group rounds #71-75, velocity is consistant at about 2900

2vjevkp.jpg

about 6 patches and it's clean, w/ little or no copper fouling

I finally cleaned my SPS after 150 rounds.

Here is the first 35 @ 100 yards (5 on paper, 30 for group) : http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...on-6group-30round-shootout-2.html#post2856049
evdoye.jpg

Here is the next 35 @ 300 (5 on paper, 30 for groups) : http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...d-bolt-action-6groups-30round-shootout-3.html
atkq47.jpg

Then I shot full 60 round (plus sighters) FTR match @ 600. Decided to clean it since the vertical started opening up on the last string.

This is encouraging.

I notice accuracy suffers after I clean a barrel, pretty significantly, and it takes about another 100 shots to get it back to where I like it to be. I'm not a pro, just a guy who observes stuff, and this is what I've noticed, take it fwiw.

This is very odd. 100 rounds to recover from a cleaning? You should see a POI change after a cleaning, but only for 8-10 rounds (maybe 20 max) and then you should return to your original zero. I pay close attention to this and find it interesting. On my 6XC match rifle, it's 8 rounds to return to zero (and accuracy) after a cleaning. On my .308 however, it's only 6 rounds. On my 6.5x47, it's only 3-4 max.

This is very odd. 100 rounds to recover from a cleaning? You should see a POI change after a cleaning, but only for 8-10 rounds (maybe 20 max) and then you should return to your original zero. I pay close attention to this and find it interesting. On my 6XC match rifle, it's 8 rounds to return to zero (and accuracy) after a cleaning. On my .308 however, it's only 6 rounds. On my 6.5x47, it's only 3-4 max.

That has been my experience. POI returns after only a few rounds but best accuracy seems to return after a hundred or so. Then it levels out for quite a long time.

So do you guys start load development after 100 rounds of just messing around? Or do you guys just start it right away?

So do you guys start load development after 100 rounds of just messing around? Or do you guys just start it right away?

I'd like to know this too. As I'm new to reloading, i wanna know if i should start my load development now with a new barrel or just make some loads until the rifle settles in.

+1

I start right away by looking for preferences regarding powder, bullet, COL, etc. By the time the barrel starts to show its stuff, I have a better idea of what to feed it.

Last edited:
I've gone through several 6.5 barrels (260 and 6.5 CR) over the last few years.

I had a barrel that was golden from shot 1 - did load development with 20 or so rounds, picked one and never looked back.

The one I am retiring now shot well initially - loads were developed right away but velocity dropped at about 200 rounds, but the load held tight.

The one I'm working on now has been all over the place and just appears to be settling down a bit at 100 rounds. Just yesterday out of a clean barrel it put 5 in less than an inch at 200. The next 5 were an inch lower and 1.5 inch group.

With a new barrel, I clean after every range session - 20 rounds or so. Once it's settled, I can go 200 and have gone up to 600 rounds without cleaning with no noticable difference.

So, on the one hand, I decry the "shoot one, clean" school of "breaking in" a barrel, but do agree that most barrels need to "settle in" for a couple of hundred rounds. Do you call that "breaking in"?

Last edited:
I've gone through several 6.5 barrels (260 and 6.5 CR) over the last few years.

I had a barrel that was golden from shot 1 - did load development with 20 or so rounds, picked one and never looked back.

The one I am retiring now shot well initially - loads were developed right away but velocity dropped at about 200 rounds, but the load held tight.

The one I'm working on now has been all over the place and just appears to be settling down a bit at 100 rounds. Just yesterday out of a clean barrel it put 5 in less than an inch at 200. The next 5 were an inch lower and 1.5 inch group.

With a new barrel, I clean after every range session - 20 rounds or so. Once it's settled, I can go 200 and have gone up to 600 rounds without cleaning with no noticable difference.

So, on the one hand, I decry the "shoot one, clean" school of "breaking in" a barrel, but do agree that most barrels need to "settle in" for a couple of hundred rounds. Do you call that "breaking in"?

I've had very similar experiences on a handful of 6.5 barrels. I tend to follow along with your way of thinking as well.

With bipod & bag, 100 yard, base hand load, no ladder tests.

GAP Crusader .308 50 Rd break in. Next five rounds .25 MOA.

PCR .260 5rd break in, next five round .4 MOA.