• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How many shots before cleaning the bore?

KQguy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2008
Ohio
Just curious to hear from some of you,how many shots you can fire before your accuracy starts to fade away.I am currently shooting a 7mmWSM with a Benchmark barrel,and it is a 1/4 moa the first 6-8 shots,then seems to be around 3/4 moa after that.I use Bore Tech Eliminator to clean the bore with,it works really well.I am also using H1000 powder,which seems to be a little dirtier than some other powders I have used before.Does this seem normal,or are you guy's getting more consistant accuracy before having to clean the barrel?

Re: How many shots before cleaning the bore?

Going from 1/4" to 3/4" in 6-8 shots doesn't sound right. I've never heard of one fouling that quickly. Maybe 60-80rds.

Whats the chances that you might be flinching after 6-8 rounds?

How 'bout shoot your 1/4" groups for 5rds and then put the rifle up. Next day break it out and shoot another group. See if they aren't the same. Just sayin'.................

Keith

+1... Sounds more like flinch than dirty bore. However, it could be an issue with the barrel as far as heat causing the problem. Like KS said, give it time. Maybe not a whole day, but take a break for 10 minutes or so between groups and see how it goes.

My rifles are run dirty on purpose. I go about 600 rounds before I clean the bore. Then I foul them with about 40 before I consider them "ready".

The gun will maintain 1/2 MOA from there to 600+ rnds even if the shooter can't
grin.gif

Cheers,

Doc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My rifles are run dirty on purpose. I go about 600 rounds before I clean the bore. Then I foul them with about 40 before I consider them "ready".

The gun will maintain 1/2 MOA from there to 600+ rnds even if the shooter can't
grin.gif

Cheers,

Doc </div></div>

+1

I can go an entire weekend without cleaning and never have to worry about accuracy.
Now when I do clean, i shoot a 5 round group of foulers just to put me back on track

This is interesting to me and I have a question on this topic at the end. I have aleways kept my guns clean (i.e. after every shooting session) but that is because I never know how long it may be before I shoot again ( nowdays 15-20 rounds every 4 days or so). It didn't used to matter because I used to shoot every other day and 50 - 100 rounds every time. However, now due to the economy and the lack of being able to find loading components, and expense. I now shoot just enough rounds to keep in touch with my rifle. SO NOW to the question What do you guys do in between shot sessions to keep rust inside the bore away? you know with all the powder residue left behind, and I mean you may not be able to look down the bore and see it but you know it there and with humidity thats not a good thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KQguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just curious to hear from some of you,how many shots you can fire before your accuracy starts to fade away.I am currently shooting a 7mmWSM with a Benchmark barrel,and it is a 1/4 moa the first 6-8 shots,then seems to be around 3/4 moa after that.I use Bore Tech Eliminator to clean the bore with,it works really well.I am also using H1000 powder,which seems to be a little dirtier than some other powders I have used before.Does this seem normal,or are you guy's getting more consistant accuracy before having to clean the barrel? </div></div>

I think Keith is right, you might be flinching. It shouldn't be fouling that quick to affect accuracy and with the punch a 7mm wsm will give, you are more likely to flinch after a few rounds throwing your groups wide. It happens to me all the time.

I will give that a try,I will just shoot a group,and wait an hour or so,and see if that makes a difference.I don't feel like I am flinching,but I guess I could be,and not even realise it.I have a pretty good load,1/4 moa @ 100yds.,with a SD in single digits.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Riley501</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SO NOW to the question What do you guys do in between shot sessions to keep rust inside the bore away? you know with all the powder residue left behind, and I mean you may not be able to look down the bore and see it but you know it there and with humidity thats not a good thing. </div></div>

Step one: Remove gun from case, check clear
Step two: Pull bolt and clean, clean magwell and bolt ways
Step three: Re-assemble put in safe, update log books

I went 6 mos between shoots, first round CBS at ~635 UKD. My deer rifles get the same treatment (unless they get rained on) thier CBS have been one shot deadly for years. Once I discovered this I rarely have a rifle induced first shot deveation.

Cheers,

Doc

I firmly believe that certain calibers, especially those that are high performance rounds, require more frequent cleanings. For obvious reasons, a .308 generally doesn't fall into that category. There are exceptions, however. My factory .308 will develop a carbon ring within 200 rounds and begin running hot with factory ammo.

My stock Remington 26" .308 barrel seems to start to open up around 200 rounds.

By "opening up" I mean going from consistent 3/4" to about 1". Cleaning has it back to consistent 3/4 with about half the groups at 1/2" (all at 100 yards).

In between shooting sessions I wipe down the crown, bolt, receiver, bolt raceway and magwell. I wipe off any dirt/mud on the outside of the rifle and wipe/oil anywhere the the paint has worn the metal. I also oil/wipe the magazine spring and wipe off the follower.

Benchrest guys - 10 -15
Tactical guys 200+ to never

A lot depends on your barrel. Rough factory barrels will drop off in accuracy before match lapped barrels. The more you research this subject the more you realize that there is absolutely no consensus whatsoever.

Read this blog about how the top shooters clean their bores. Expert opinion on barrel cleaning and brushing

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Riley501</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SO NOW to the question What do you guys do in between shot sessions to keep rust inside the bore away? you know with all the powder residue left behind, and I mean you may not be able to look down the bore and see it but you know it there and with humidity thats not a good thing. </div></div>

Step one: Remove gun from case, check clear
Step two: Pull bolt and clean, clean magwell and bolt ways
Step three: Re-assemble put in safe, update log books

I went 6 mos between shoots, first round CBS at ~635 UKD. My deer rifles get the same treatment (unless they get rained on) thier CBS have been one shot deadly for years. Once I discovered this I rarely have a rifle induced first shot deveation.

Cheers,

Doc </div></div>

+1

Keep shooting until accuracy deteriorates. This threshold varies for different rifles. With my AIAW, I can run it very dirty (well in excess of 500 rounds) and still notice no change in accuracy. Whereas my 243 begins to open up after 200-300 rounds.

Cleaning it is one thing, but you can damage the barrel and chamber if it is cleaned improperly.

I was taught (in the Army, not US
wink.gif
) to clean upon return from the shooting session, no matter how long or short (a few rounds, or a whole lot). We weren't going crazy scrubbing the barrel, just a normal cleaning.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Riley501</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is interesting to me and I have a question on this topic at the end. I have aleways kept my guns clean (i.e. after every shooting session) but that is because I never know how long it may be before I shoot again ( nowdays 15-20 rounds every 4 days or so). It didn't used to matter because I used to shoot every other day and 50 - 100 rounds every time. However, now due to the economy and the lack of being able to find loading components, and expense. I now shoot just enough rounds to keep in touch with my rifle. SO NOW to the question What do you guys do in between shot sessions to keep rust inside the bore away? you know with all the powder residue left behind, and I mean you may not be able to look down the bore and see it but you know it there and with humidity thats not a good thing. </div></div>

Either way, your not going to get rust in a matter of a few days, even if you threw your rifle in a tub of water.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was taught (in the Army, not US
wink.gif
) to clean upon return from the shooting session, no matter how long or short (a few rounds, or a whole lot). We weren't going crazy scrubbing the barrel, just a normal cleaning. </div></div>

That's a way to keep a soldier busy, not necessarily a way to best maintain your gun.

I'm at 798 rounds through a .308 GAP with a Rock barrel and still shooting .5 3 shot groups,I'll let you know when it needs cleaning.

I clean every 300-400 rds, seems to work fine for me.

I clean after every shooting session, but don't brush. Wet patch, soak, dry patch, wet patch, a few dry patches. That's it. It may be 100-200 rounds on a long day, may be 20-30 rounds. I do wipe out the chamber. I've never worn out a barrel.