• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How many sq ft? New reloading station

RushT

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2023
DFW
Hey all,

I‘ve been considering getting into reloading. The problem is, I’m trying to figure out where to setup and the minimum required space. I considered topping one of my tool chests with a butcherblock top about 25” x 48”. I ‘think’ that would be enough working space, albeit a bit cramped. Any thoughts on the minimum working space? I’d have storage available elsewhere.

I currently have a 6ft Husky table and it has plenty of space. Before that I had a kitchen table and a wood chair I cut to fit a press. Don’t overthink it. You can always complicate it later.

Reactions: vh20
I considered topping one of my tool chests with a butcherblock top about 25” x 48”. I ‘think’ that would be enough working space, albeit a bit cramped.

I did something similar, mounting my press on a husky 4 drawer wheeled unit. That’s enough space to run lean, but you’re going to have some tipping if you mount the press on the front. I ended up mounting to the side and stacking the bottom drawer full of bullets. And don’t plan on running powder at the same time as the press, there’s just too much wiggle for the scale.

Pulling the press on a wider bench, directly over a leg and x braces has been a lot less flex.

Reactions: RushT
If you have storage elsewhere you can get away with a very small bench/press area .

1715517695905.png

Thanks every one, good to know I can make this work. I have one of the Milwaukee heavy gauge chests. It’s about 4’ high and 200lbs. A 4’ butcher block would hang over the sides about 6” each way I think.

I’d bolt it down and if really ambitious, try and put some Ttrack in it. Thickness is 1.5” so that makes me a little nervous. Perhaps I could just do 6” strips to help keep the rigidity high.

I thought about doing some solid surface, but Jeezers! Lowes wanted $1k for a minimum of 25 sq feet. I only need about 8-9’.

I use a 3x6 table and a 30x30 table for scale with underbench storage and a wall cabinet in a 9x10 room. My computer desk is the other side of the room. Small room but it has windows so it's nice. I only load rifle with one press and it's fine. I wash tumble somewhere else mostly due to the sound.

I’m probably relegated to the garage for this hobby. I’ll probably store my supplies inside unless that’s not recommended?