• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

F T/R Competition How much ammo to take

r1rn04

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2010
GALAX, VA
Im looking into trying a 300yd F class shoot at CRVP in conover in a few months, How much ammo do I need to take? I have an AR15 it usually holds 1/2 MOA at 100. do I need to work up a 69gr load or will my 55gr varmint round be OK. any sugestions as to minimum equipment I should take?

Re: How much ammo to take

for 300yds, 69 or 77 would work best, take 50 of each with you to see what will work best and you'll have some left at the end of the match
hope this helps.

The X ring on an F class target is 1/2 moa, if your rifle will hold that you are fine.

I can't help you with bullets for a .223, but at 300 yds just about anything should work as long as it's accurate. So your loads should be fine, bullet performance and BCs start making a difference out at 800 yds.

You will probably need to have a single feed mag. If they are following the NRA rules then in addition to the F class rules matches are shot under the NRA Fullbore rules and those state:

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"10.1.6 Loading - In all events, the rifle will be loaded with only one cartridge at a time. The bolt shall be closed
only with the rifle pointed in the direction of the target."</span></span>

Amount of ammo depends on the match and how many rounds for record. I shoot in long range and we shoot 3 matches a day and shoot either 15 or 20 rounds for record. When we do an 800/900/1000 Fullbore match it is 15x3 for record + unlimited sighters at 800 and 2 each at 900 and 1000. Total = 45 for record plus probably 10 sighters total for 55, take 60.

On days where we do 3x1000 with 20 rounds each I've easily shot 75 to 80 rounds. Then again, trying to figure out the wind at 1000 is harder than 300.

We usually shoot Saturday and Sunday. Personally I usually go to into my weekend with about 150 loaded.

Thats a lot of Lead down range, I was thinking I would be ok with 2 boxes, Do you shoot prior to the Match? And what Is a puller? The NRA web site seems very lawyerized, and the focus seems more on the rules rather how to compete and what to expect. Thanks for the Info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tray</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats a lot of Lead down range, I was thinking I would be ok with 2 boxes, Do you shoot prior to the Match? And what Is a puller? The NRA web site seems very lawyerized, and the focus seems more on the rules rather how to compete and what to expect. Thanks for the Info. </div></div>

I don't know how the match you are going to shoot is set up but on the days we shoot matches we typically shoot three. That will either be 45 or 60 shots for record. Most weekends we shoot on Sat and Sunday and we do both a 3x1000 @ 20 shots and and 800/900/1000 @ 15 so we shoot 105 shots for record. I usually shoot at least 5 sighters in a match if I have unlimited sighters so that adds another 20 so that gets me to 125 and in the 900/1000 relays of the full bore shoot I get another 2 at each distance so that's another 4. Total is now up to 129.

Look at your match details, how many relays are you shooting, if it's 3 then you will shoot at either 45 or 60 for record plus sighters. Shooting for score is different than shooting target practice, when those 9s and 8s get recorded they are harder to forget, and throw a 6 and you'll remember it longer than any X you shoot.

thanks for the info, Guess I had better put a few more rounds together

The NCNG range at Butner, 2.5 hours from you is having an F-Class match this weekend. 3X1000 + team on Sat. and 2X1000 and team Sunday. Check the North State Shooting Club website. AG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: asbestosglove</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The NCNG range at Butner, 2.5 hours from you is having an F-Class match this weekend. 3X1000 + team on Sat. and 2X1000 and team Sunday. Check the North State Shooting Club website. AG </div></div>

I'd jump all over that. It's 6 hours for me and I'm still thinking about it. We don't have another match in Oak Ridge till October.

After you determine how many you will need for both sighters and record, bring a couple extra in case of a misfire. They don't happen often, but they do happen.

Most of the matches that I shoot are 20 shots with unlimited sighters in 25 minutes then 20 shots with two sighters in 22 minutes then another 20 shots with 2 sighters in 22 minutes.

There's nothing that says you need to actually compete the first time out. You might want to consider 'auditing' an event; basically being a spectator. As long as you're not making a nuisance of yourself, nobody should complain.

You'll get a lot of your questions answered better if you're not completely distracted playing catch-up trying to do the Course of Fire for the first time. Being able to observe and compare various shooters' approaches to the same challenges, in a relaxed and non-competitive framework, can be a very educational experience. It might even pay to take notes.

You may also get invited to help with presenting the event, which can be a beneficial experience all around.

Just remember that that folks you'll be seeing are working to an agenda with scant spare time for interruptions, and try not to be a distraction.

Waiting to be asked can be a good strategy. If they want to know why you're there; telling them you're new at this, interested in the discipline, and just trying to learn could be a good response.

Greg

FWIW, for your first match I'd load the 69's for record shots. If you have enough time left on the match run your 55's and see where they land.

When I was shooting a lot at Butner I'd have my main loads for record and I carried new loads that I wanted to try if I had enough minutes left at the end of the individual match. Doing it like that will give you the dope you need to compare 2 or 3 loads under the same conditions within minutes of each other.