• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How much are you cutting back on centerfire rifle shooting?

topslop1

Private
Banned !
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2010
I've cut back drastically on my centerfire rifle outings and started taking my CZ 455 22lr out weekly instead. It gives me some trigger time without wasting components.
Me I've cut back about 75%

I am shooting as much if not more then before. This includes all aspects, centerfire, rim and air rifles. But I need to explain, and sorry me being me I might get wordy.

During the height of the shortages I was down to 200 large rifle primers (that is about everything I shoot and what I enjoy old gunz). I was going through withdraw in a bad way.

Then I remembered I have several thousands of rounds of rot gut steel cased 223. Hay lets dig those out and shoot some of that up. Did and dusted off the AR as well. It was not scratching the itch. Lets try hand guns.

Automatics go fast even with doing things like practice draw drills, Beep, draw, ding, how fast was that, re holster to do it again. I found that going pretty quick. So I got out the single action 22 revolver to play quick draw Mc Graw (if you know who that is we can be friends) That takes a bit longer, as loading takes a bit longer as well....still not it.

200 large rifle primers, dog gone it......I also have several thousand of large magnum hand gun primers....hmm. I really want to shoot something with a boom to it. How about 45-70 and the trapdoor.

I wonder what the pressures are on a 44 mag.....wow that much. I wonder what the pressures are on 357 mag.....wow still that much. Pressures on my trapdoor 45-70 are 14k cup. That is half of the hand gun cartridges. The size of the primer is "almost" the same. I wonder.

DON'T DO IT YOU IDIOT YOU ARE SCREWING WITH RELOADING 101

Months go by.....Screw it I am going to do it anyway (don't do as I do children do as I say) I loaded up 5 rounds figuring if I kept my eyes and fingers after the first couple goes I would be fine.

First round I was a bit away from the rifle. Case popped out just fine, figured that, primer did not looked like it moved a cunt hair, ok lets try again. Boom, same results. Ok lets get behind the rifle. Three more bangs and they actually group. Ok I found something that would work.

I upped my minimum price I will pay for a LRP to .14 per, and just told myself if you want to play the game you are going to pay $140 for a box of 1000.

One of the last gun shows I went to the wife was running the tables asking if they had any LRP. Guy says yes, how much she asks $120 a thousand. She says she will take them, he asks how many, she asks how many you got. 10,000 CCI primers later I am set. She bought every one and had to fight off other people trying to muscle in. As well as comments of being a hoarder and scalper.

By the time I get there there is quite a group, as well as the cops that drifted over to see why all the people are right there at the start of the show. I am down to 200 I am going to use these, he has sold them to me, I will not sell them to you for any price and you can get the hell out of my face now. Tempers start to raise, blue people keep the order I buy my stuff and cruise the rest of the show.

When trying to scratch that itch I re discovered the joys of playing with the other toys, some I have not touched in years, that is why I say I am shooting more.

For the record I am still on those magnum hand gun primers for my 45-70 loads, I bet the thing has 100+ rounds down the tube with no issues at all, but I would never suggest it to anyone, but I have told the story a few times.

Cut back on my 280 AI and 300WSM a lot…maybe 90%.

Well, technically 100% on the WSM since I rebarreled that rifle to .308 for the summer. Need to decide if I’m gonna try to get a hunt in this winter that will justify re-re-barreling (or buying another short action) to 300WSM.

Shooting more 6.8 in my ARs than ever, with the new upper I just built (3rd one), and likely to ramp back up on 300BLK as well. Kind of hoarding 5.56 and .223, at least the good stuff, for…reasons. My circle is still shooting a fair amount of 55gr though. Gotta train.

edit: and shooting a crap-ton of suppressed subsonic .22LR ever since I grabbed that Springfield bolty. It’s such a hoot to set up a target in my backyard here in semi-suburbia, and pop away with a gun that’s literally quieter than an air rifle.

Last edited:
I got into the 22 game and kinda stayed there. Couple years I caught the bug so stocked up on ammo.
These days it pains me to go thru 200-300 rounds of 5.56 during some training - because I know I'll never get the ammo for the same price I got it for before.
I'd love to get into center-fire PRS but the reloading is expensive to begin with with my other choice buying ammo off the shelf and that's bananas.

In the end I shoot, I shoot a lot but 95% being 22.

Reactions: Emerson0311
Real shit..90% of my shooting now is airsoft...

There is little need to be sending 9 mm or 5.56 down range when running a barricade.

Draw and reload drill don't require sending actual rounds down range

Move and shoot doesnt require sending actual rounds down range

Force on Force and shoot/no shoot drills now become an option

Room clearing is now much easier to do

Night shooting is much easier to do

And you can shoot 5,000 "rounds" for like $12

And you can get really high quality trainers that are 1-for-1 in terms of size, weight, function.

View attachment 8267222
How to recognize signs of transitioning ?

Funny no one seems to have a problem recommending dry fire practice.

But if sitting on your couch clicking your gun "learning the trigger" is more beneficial to you, I'm not going to stand in your way....you do you boo boo
Um, walking 30 feet to the outside world and shooting real ammunition from a real weapon seems to.....I dunno....work for me ?

......ok........sooooooo........what point are you making again?
Airsoft is for kids that play computer games ?

I have no idea if they have improved lately, but the only ones I've ever seen had a trajectory that looked like the McDonalds arches.

I've been cutting down on centerfire and 22lr. I still shoot more than many but it's a tenth of what I used to do. Which brings up the idea of airsoft, a training tool we explored 20 years ago. What a great idea! And a quality pellet rifle would be cool too.

Agree, I'd rather shoot a good BB or pellet bun.
Airsoft in a force-on-force CQB shoot house will still draw blood on bare skin.....
But IFAK and TQ aren't required to make it out.

Reactions: xsn10s
Real shit..90% of my shooting now is airsoft...

There is little need to be sending 9 mm or 5.56 down range when running a barricade.

Draw and reload drill don't require sending actual rounds down range

Move and shoot doesnt require sending actual rounds down range

Force on Force and shoot/no shoot drills now become an option

Room clearing is now much easier to do

Night shooting is much easier to do

And you can shoot 5,000 "rounds" for like $12

And you can get really high quality trainers that are 1-for-1 in terms of size, weight, function.

View attachment 8267222
Few years back (2020?) I bought a Tokyo Mauri FN FNX-45 to learn pistol shooting better and to try out things like engaging multiple targets, vision drills and drills with reloads, basically all the stuff I can't do at my local ranges. It's pretty realistic, same size, weight and dimensions as the real gun, has all the same controls in the same place and is a gas blowback design.

It was a lot of fun, very educational and I think I went through several thousands of "rounds" for maybe....$40? A couple 2k count containers of BBs and a 6pack of computer duster.

ATF and anti gun administration policies are working as designed.
No one said gun confiscation needs to happen or happen over night
We have watches, the anti gunners have time.
They'll price us out of the sports where it won't be economical to go out and shoot anymore.

Perfect example is this thread.

"I no longer shoot center-fire, I shoot 22lr"
"I no longer shoot 22lr, I shoot air soft"
"I no longer shoot airsoft, I shoot bow & arrow "
"I no longer shoot"

Crisis by crisis, law by law, regulation by regulation, tax by tax, ammo and components shortage they're slowly destroying the 2A.

Think where we were 10, 20, 30, 40 years ago and where we are now..

I see your point, and mostly agree with you on how ATF and others are economically chip away at our 2A rights.

But, as a counter-point, and maybe a glimmer of hope, I went from shooting bow and arrow to shooting 22 and CF rifles and pistols*. And I know I'm not alone in this, I know several people who have gotten into shooting sports over the past several years, and counter guys at my LGS are saying they're seeing more and more new shooters.

When I was into shooting, oh, 20 years ago or so, sure everything was good and cheap (and I do miss it) but then, the ranges were more or less empty, you could go literally any time and drop in. There are ranges near me now where you need to make reservations they are so busy. It used to be out of the ordinary to see women at the range, and kids weren't all the common.

Now? They're selling pink guns, have women's night at the range, kids intro classes to Modern Sporting Rifle, etc. My 14 yr old nephew is learning to shoot an AR with his boy scout troop or something.

*Just kidding ATF, guns are totes evil and I would never own such a mean, awful thing.

Components seem to be avaialble, so I am stocking up. yes it does cost more, yes my financial advisor, bank account manager, person responsible to keep me solvent (as she has for the last 50 years, that would be Brenda) still complains, but……Still shooting. Getting the funds together to build a .22. Not to take over Centerfire, but to supplement it by shooting close to home.

Too old to quit, cause quitting means ending and I plan on at least another 25 to 30 years of shooting, sailing and cycling.

Past couple of years have seen ammo prices go up, but gun prices have remained relatively stable.
So, last few years, instead of stocking up on ammo, I have been buying more guns in different calibers - better gun deals around since ammo prices are high.
For every caliber I have, I stock at least 3 contact rates that I keep in reserve - whatever excess ammo I have, I shoot them.

Then, I just keep a lookup for whatever ammo deal I can find online that pops up, I chase the deal and shoot whatever I can get.

So, if I show up at the range with only my CZ457 22lr , head lowered and tail between my legs, you know that it's been slim pickings for me ammo wise... :)

Reactions: 748rpilot
about same #. cut calibers now 5.56,22lr,223,9mm only. got out of 6.5,308,45,38,all C&R type rounds. will be able to shoot about another 11/2 years. then see what effect advanced age and the NWO will have.

Reactions: Badjujuu
Past couple of years have seen ammo prices go up, but gun prices have remained relatively stable.
So, last few years, instead of stocking up on ammo, I have been buying more guns in different calibers - better gun deals around since ammo prices are high.
For every caliber I have, I stock at least 3 contact rates that I keep in reserve - whatever excess ammo I have, I shoot them.

Then, I just keep a lookup for whatever ammo deal I can find online that pops up, I chase the deal and shoot whatever I can get.

So, if I show up at the range with only my CZ457 22lr , head lowered and tail between my legs, you know that it's been slim pickings for me ammo wise... :)
What is this “excess ammo” you speak of?

I’ve never heard of such a thing!

Funny no one seems to have a problem recommending dry fire practice.

But if sitting on your couch clicking your gun "learning the trigger" is more beneficial to you, I'm not going to stand in your way....you do you boo boo

At least practice your 720 quick scoping.

Did you just find the bear pit?
88 posts with a join date of 2010.
Screenshot_20231108-161805_Gallery.jpg

Are you writing a book?
Tear this page out and wipe your ass with it...
Better yet, kiss my ass and you can call it a love story.

Shot almost 8k precision rounds last year then add in pistol,carbine and rimfire prs. They might break me but im not going to stop shooting. I have considered the airsoft route so i can train in my back yard during the week. They have come a long way.

SHIT! You all actually shoot your guns?

I just bought mine for looking at

Reactions: LMTMWS
I mainly shoot because I love cleaning weapons....
and the lovely scent of Hoppe’s #9 puts me in a good mood.

Airsoft is a great training tool. As far as shooting as much as I used to...not even close. I used to get tax payer ammo by the conex and had an armorer that would replace parts on a regular basis. Wasnt unusual to go to the range 4 days a week and shoot 500-1000 rnds of 9mm and a few hundred rounds of 556 each time. Maybe bring the MK46 or MK48 and HK69 or GLM. Once in a while a Barrett 50 or even a HK GMG, and rarely RPGs. Now...I dry fire and use airsoft, and once in a while will actually shoot. Oh well...

Ah so you are talking about things you know nothing about and didn't even bother to look into.....goooootcha.
Ah, so you are assuming like a mutha and trying to place limits on how I spend my time.

Gooooooooootcha

You read the part where I said "the ones I've seen had a rainbow trajectory" right ?
Does that in any way infer I know nothing about them and never bothered to look into them ?
Huh, i-fucking-magine that, some old asswipe jumping to conclusions......AGAIN.

Be sure and tell us all how an airsoft (shitty) trigger works for training in place of a decent trigger, ok ?
I mean they must be exactly the same, right ?

Ah, so you are assuming like a mutha and trying to place limits on how I spend my time.

Gooooooooootcha

You read the part where I said "the ones I've seen had a rainbow trajectory" right ?
Does that in any way infer I know nothing about them and never bothered to look into them ?
Huh, i-fucking-magine that, some old asswipe jumping to conclusions......AGAIN.

Be sure and tell us all how an airsoft (shitty) trigger works for training in place of a decent trigger, ok ?
I mean they must be exactly the same, right ?
We get it, you are anti airsoft...move along now!!

Might try something new, and learn something new boomer!

I've cut back drastically on my centerfire rifle outings and started taking my CZ 455 22lr out weekly instead. It gives me some trigger time without wasting components.
Me I've cut back about 75%
None

Doc

I'm a rimfire addict, so price and availability of centerfire ammo hasn't really affected me. I wasn't even going to post in this thread, but it's starting to get out of hand and I would hate to be left out. 🖕😝🖕

I have the ammo, I just don't have the time. Some personal life things going on, work, never-ending medical appointments.