• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

How much cavity in HP bullets?

schwim

Private
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2010
Michigan
Was messing around waiting for the weekend to go shooting and decided to stick a safety pin into the hollow points of the loaded Lapua 155 scenars that are sitting on the kitchen table. Figured I'd clean out the small burrs left by the meplat trimmer. I spun the tips on 0000 steel wool previously which did a 98% job of clean-up.

Out of 40 bullets, only one allowed passage of the pin to about 5/8 inch deep with a clearly detectable internal cavity. All other 39 only allowed less than 1/8 inch passage of the pin, so I got concerned and pulled the one odd bullet, weighed it and it's the same as the others waiting to be loaded.

So how big is the cavity supposed to be? Anyone have a cross-section photo just to see what's inside? Though about sacrificing one just for curious sake.

Re: How much cavity in HP bullets?

The hollow point cavity is the remainder of the jacket when it folds over itself. If you were to cross section them down the long axis, they should all be the same.

Most HPBTs have lead up towards the nose of the bullet. The 155 Scenar is known to allow this part of the jacket to be rather hollow, effectively, the 155 Scenar is a 175 SMK with 20 gr less lead in the nose. That is where the BC comes from.

There's actually quite a bit of empty space in the nose of those scenars. I was also suprised at how much empty space there was. I thought without lead supporting that jacket, it would just fold in. But, that doesn't seem to be the case.

65Grendelx300.jpg

The first loose projectile on the left is a lapua scenar. (these are grendel bullets ..... but pretty much the same)