• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes How much does an 8/40 base screw mod cost?

199thINF

Private
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2009
Spokane, WA
I'm looking at having the 8/40 base screw job done on 2 of my rifles with a local gunsmith. What should I expect to pay for each one?

Thanks in advance!

Re: How much does an 8/40 base screw mod cost?

not much more. I think they paid 27$ on an 800$ bill. Thats why they got caught. Anyway back on topic If you buy the base from them it is usually cheaper to have it installed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BapZander</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Secret Service pays more than that ^^^ </div></div>

Bwahahaha, I needed that this am
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 199thINF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking at having the 8/40 base screw job done on 2 of my rifles with a local gunsmith. What should I expect to pay for each one?

Thanks in advance! </div></div>
I don't think a "blanket" answer necessarily applies here. The answer would depend on the individual gunsmith, what if any other work is being done on the receiver, if the work can be done at the same time as other work or if will it require another set-up, whether all the holes are on-axis, if you or someone else "worked on" the gun(s) previously, ect. Most shops have a "<span style="font-style: italic">Minimum Charge"</span> where machining is required, and if the 8-40 screw modification is all you're having done I wouldn't be surprised if the <span style="font-style: italic">"Work"</span> charge was more than the <span style="font-style: italic">"Minimum"</span> charge, especially if one or more of the screw holes is/are off-axis (to me this and correcting for off-axis holes is obvious, but I've read posts here where the "gunsmith"s just enlarged existing holes that were off-axis. Geniuses).

Keith

The original Subject I had was "How much does an 8/40 screw job cost?", but edited it immediately due to obvious reasons
smile.gif

BTW, thanks to all, I think I have a general idea of what to expect.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 199thINF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The original Subject I had was "How much does an 8/40 screw job cost?", but edited it immediately due to obvious reasons
smile.gif
</div></div> It still got some play, even with the edit.................

My rifle is at GAP right now being built. I want to say they quoted me $10 a hole. Here goes my math in public, 4 holes on my Remington 700 is $40.