• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing How much does your big game rifle weight?

HellsCanyonArmory

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2010
Idaho
www.facebook.com
Just curious on the average rifle weight you guys are using/carrying. Up until this year I've used a factory Rem 700 in 30-06 that was around 9 lbs. Have used it on backpack hunts 12 miles back into wilderness areas, as well as day hunts, on blackbears, elk, cougar and deer and it's never been an issue. After the next month the gun is going to be a LOT heavier, borderline too heavy to carry for hard hunts, however I'm mostly an archer nowadays.

So what is your big game rifle setup, weight, and what kind of hunting do you do with it (treestand, backcountry hunts, day trips...etc)?

Mike

Re: How much does your big game rifle weight?

I am primarily a stand hunter in michigan, so the weight of my rifle is of little concern,for the record with sling and 9 rnds (four in the gun, and five in the stock pack) it weighs 12lbs. 10 oz.

anywhere from 7# even for my Kimber Montana 7mmWSM to 9# 8 oz for my Winchester 70 .375 AI, ready to rock.

i lean on the lighter ones mostly.

My 375 H&H comes in at 9 pounds all up. It's been my rifle for almost everything from antelope and elk to zebra and gemsbok for the past 5 years.

Are you guys using these guns in factory form? Do you use 'em for long range hunting situations or...??? You guys using tactical scopes and clicking up for range or using holdovers? Thanks guys, really curious to see how ya'll are operating!

Mike

my Kimber Montana is the only "factory stock" hunting rifle, and that even has a Titanium bolt handle. the rest are various stages of semi-custom ranging from shortened barrels, McMillan stocks and the like to rebarreled and restocked 700s, and a M70 getting rebored to .358 WSM.

the range i will shoot at game varies with the rifle.

but i dial my elevation and hold off the windage most of the time.

Savage 10FP .308 win with aftermarket McMillan A5 stock, Badger Ordinance picatinney base and Leupold Mark 4 rings with a Leupold Mark 2 scope

That package comes in just under 14 lbs. not loaded.

Needless to say it is not a stalking gun.

About 6lbs. With scope.

2009_11240018.jpg

Nice setup triggerhappy! A friend has a long range remington 'pistol' that he's working on for a hunting rig as well...

T-Money,
Glad I'm not the only one with a heavy gun! My .280 AI is gonna come in right around 14 or so I 'hope': Rem 700 action, 24" Rock Creek Barrel (M24 contour with deep fluting), Seekins rings/base, Viper PST ffp/mil/mil(if/when it gets here), Seekins bottom metal, factory rem 700 tuned trigger, HS PSS stock...

Mike

My Encore with can attached is around 8.5#'s with a 5.5x22NF. My 375H&H Encore is around 10#. My GAP 7WSM with 5x25 S&B is around 16# but sure does shoot sweet.

Sako AV action, 26" ss Harris polygonal barrel, Pacific Research stock, Leupold Vari-XIII 3.5-10x40 in Warne rings, .280 Rem. I have packed it for 18 years +/- and used it on day hunts, backpack hunts, horse hunts and it weighs about 9lbs.

Still love it. It holds steady for me at that weight, I have been trying a Sako 75 Finnlite but it definetly doesn't hold and swing as well for me.