• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

How much for a laser rangefinder accurate to 1K?

ackley264

Private
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2014
Oklahoma
I am finding my old Vortex 1000 just isn't doing it ranging even a car at 700ish yards on sunny days. Want to upgrade but not break the bank. What are people using to consistently and accurately range targets (steel mostly) out to 1K yards. Not looking for top of the line 2 mile ranging.

I run one of these:

and one of these:

and would buy both again.
I like the Leupold a little more based on its footprint and that I carry it as well when bow hunting.
My only complaint on the Nitro 1800 is the reticle is a little heavy on 1000 yd targets targets, but otherwise performs well.

A step above entry level, but not Terapin or Leica 3500.com price points.

Just bought myself a Vortex Viper HD 3000 for $325 and from all reports it will certainly handle 1000yards. I haven't gotten any field time with it however as I just received it last week. I went through MANY reviews while researching my purchase and the Leupold 1600i came out tops in many reviews I saw.

I run one of these:

and one of these:

and would buy both again.
I like the Leupold a little more based on its footprint and that I carry it as well when bow hunting.
My only complaint on the Nitro 1800 is the reticle is a little heavy on 1000 yd targets targets, but otherwise performs well.

A step above entry level, but not Terapin or Leica 3500.com price points.
Appreciate the feedback. I just know that rangefinders tend to oversell the ranges they will work at consistently, so its nice to hear from people that have experience with particular models.

Just bought myself a Vortex Viper HD 3000 for $325 and from all reports it will certainly handle 1000yards. I haven't gotten any field time with it however as I just received it last week. I went through MANY reviews while researching my purchase and the Leupold 1600i came out tops in many reviews I saw.
I like the idea of the Vortex as I can get a decent discount. Have looked at the HD4000 but was unaware of the 3000.

I like the idea of the Vortex as I can get a decent discount. Have looked at the HD4000 but was unaware of the 3000.

If you want to stick with Vortex, they just came out with several new rangefinders, two of which would probably meet your needs very well.
1652301777375.png

1652301921893.png

Reactions: ackley264
Anyone have any handy links to RF testing? I recall most of them failing miserably to live up to their manufacturer specs unless they were 4 digits $

I have pretty much stopped using hand held rangefinders and switched over to binocular based laser rangefinders. Its way easier to find targets with binocular vison (and animals).

For a value prices option, I like the Sig products:

I have pretty much stopped using hand held rangefinders and switched over to binocular based laser rangefinders. Its way easier to find targets with binocular vison (and animals).

For a value prices option, I like the Sig products:

That is exactly the decision I reached last year. I don't have binoculars or a LRF. I was watching DLO review some LRF binos. I was thinking that would be the way to go.

I didn't pull the trigger, because I can't justify the use (don't have the need) yet for them.

I've gone through quite a few handheld LRFs from Leica, Sig, LTI, and a couple of others. I switched to the Sig binos, but I keep the Vortex 4000 in my bag as a backup for 3 years now. It's been good out past a mile and I picked it up for $425

Last edited:
I bought a maven rf1 to try out and was quite shocked with the performance. I had 2 targets at a prs match that I just couldn’t get ranges on. There were relatively small and if memory serves me around 600-700 yards. My friend borrowed it and ranged all the steel at another match out to 1400 yards. I think they will be really hard to beat.

I ended up replacing them with kilo 10k binoculars but was very impressed

The Leica LRFs typically will meet or exceed the distance they are advertised at.

I have a 2400r (basic model, no ballistics or anything) and it easily ranges to a mile on non-reflective targets.

Reactions: Evolution 9
Leica is the only brand I’ve used that consistently ranges well past (as opposed to well under) it’s rated range.

They increase range and features of the CRF model every year or two, so, just like an IPhone, if you’re ok using a model or two older than the newest, you can pick them up for $250-300.

Combine that with great 7x glass and back pocket size, and (for my particular needs) there’s nothing even remotely comparable in value.

Find animal, range animal, ballistics displayed, return to back pocket, shoot.

Appreciate the replies and information gentlemen. Just decided to go with the Vortex HD 4000. Mil/LE 50% on Vortex this month to good to pass up.

Anyone have any handy links to RF testing? I recall most of them failing miserably to live up to their manufacturer specs unless they were 4 digits $
This is what everyone wants, I know litz/nick vitalbo did some actual objective testing of LRF's, but beyond that this information almost doesn't exist, you just get shitty youtube "oh looks like it ranges good!!" type reviews

Which are completely worthless

Leica is the only brand I’ve used that consistently ranges well past (as opposed to well under) it’s rated range.

They increase range and features of the CRF model every year or two, so, just like an IPhone, if you’re ok using a model or two older than the newest, you can pick them up for $250-300.

Combine that with great 7x glass and back pocket size, and (for my particular needs) there’s nothing even remotely comparable in value.

Find animal, range animal, ballistics displayed, return to back pocket, shoot.

The "rated range", is a misnomer anyways.

There is NO industry standard on what the number is supposed to be for, a 100% reflective target? Square to the laser? A 100% reflective target of a certain size?

THAT'S why you get such a variation in ranging performance, what most people care about is can it range a small non reflective target that isn't facing the user, that's almost the worst case scenario

What does the manufacturer want to print on the box? Yeah, 100% reflective mirror that is aimed right back at the user that is the size of the moon.

Read bryan litz/nick vitalbo books... he actually goes into objective testing of LRF and you start to understand why it's not as simple as "the manufacture lies on the box" type deal

The "rated range", is a misnomer anyways.

There is NO industry standard on what the number is supposed to be for, a 100% reflective target? Square to the laser? A 100% reflective target of a certain size?

THAT'S why you get such a variation in ranging performance, what most people care about is can it range a small non reflective target that isn't facing the user, that's almost the worst case scenario

What does the manufacturer want to print on the box? Yeah, 100% reflective mirror that is aimed right back at the user that is the size of the moon.

Read bryan litz/nick vitalbo books... he actually goes into objective testing of LRF and you start to understand why it's not as simple as "the manufacture lies on the box" type deal

Very true, but my point is, when you buy an XYZ brand 1600 model, you’ll be very lucky to get to 1600 on just the right day and target…

My experience:

When you buy a Leica 1600, 2000, etc., you can EXPECT to range objects further than that.

In other words, most manufacturers over promise and under deliver. Leica under promises and over delivers.

In more recent years, I’m told some other companies have started to do the same.

Very true, but my point is, when you buy an XYZ brand 1600 model, you’ll be very lucky to get to 1600 on just the right day and target…

My experience:

When you buy a Leica 1600, 2000, etc., you can EXPECT to range objects further than that.

In other words, most manufacturers over promise and under deliver. Leica under promises and over delivers.

In more recent years, I’m told some other companies have started to do the same.

Well that's exactly what i'm saying.

You ARE going to get 1600 lased on a moon sized 100% reflective target.

What YOU want is for the box to print the worst/average case scenario for ranging.

Has nothing to do with "over promise" under deliver, and more so the consumer has to understand that ONE number alone cannot be used to define the performance of a LRF.

Read Bryan LItzs/Nick Vitalbos treatsies and you will understand why this is the case, it would be great if the industry could come up with a standard and everyone prints a number to that standard, but we're not there yet. Probably never will be.

You’re completely missing my point.

I’m well aware of what’s going on. I don’t need to read a book to understand it. I’ve been using these for a long time. Most of us here know this stuff from actual use over decades, not books or theory.

What I’m saying, is that Leica is different than most companies, in that (other factors being held constant-size of target, humidity, etc.), Leica rangefinders will be labeled more conservatively than the competition.

A Leupold 1200 yard rangefinder will rarely reach 1200 yards in ANY conditions and a Leica 1200 will reach or exceed 1200 in MANY conditions.

I don’t know how to make this any more clear. I’m comparing Leica to other brands from a actual performance vs. stated range perspective. Period.

Disclaimer:

As previously stated, this is MY experience and I know others may have different experience. Also, several companies have started to get better about this, so if I hear someone saying their XYZ brand exceeds expectations, I won’t be surprised.

Last edited:
If you want to stick with Vortex, they just came out with several new rangefinders, two of which would probably meet your needs very well.
View attachment 7867746
View attachment 7867749
Bringing this back for a sec.

Does anyone know how the Diamonback HD 2000 and the Ranger 1800 compare in terms of resolution under low light?

The Ranger is selling for about $260 right now vs. $299 for the Diamonback. Vortex claims a longer reflective and non-reflective range on the Diamondback. The other features seem mostly similar.

Last edited:
When you're comparing the MFG specs of 1800 vs. 2000 I'd be hard pressed to think you will see a difference in the field. I've heard the rule 'take mfg specs and cut them in half for real life use'. Is there really a different laser in them with 200yds of granularity? Translation, the Marketing department couldn't come to an agreement so the extra power point slide stayed in the presentation.

Reactions: Ibex24
Bringing this back for a sec.

Does anyone know how the Diamonback HD 2000 and the Ranger 1800 compare in terms of resolution under low light?

The Ranger is selling for about $260 right now vs. $299 for the Diamonback. Vortex claims a longer reflective and non-reflective range on the Diamondback. The other features seem mostly similar.
The Diamondback claims better glass and coatings, but will have a slightly smaller exit pupil (3.4 mm Vs 3.6 mm) which is better depends on your eyes.

Reactions: Ibex24
If you can swing it,
C906ECC1-5383-4818-AE12-5CBDF8B34B7C.jpeg

Others have said this already, spend a little more and get the Sig 3k binos. I've had the Nikon Black 4k LRF and it did okay, but ranging off a hillside I was lucky to get 1200. When a small target was set, if I was stabilized off a tripod, I could get about a mile. With the Sigs, I can usually get a mile or so against a hill, well over 2k when stabilized against a target.

These have suited me very well for my 300 PRC, but I just got my 375, and I'll need longer. I'm either going to go for a Terrapin X, Sig 10k binos, or simply get a Garmin handheld GPS and measure that way.