• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing How Much Glass Bedding

jrbet83

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2009
Pasco, Washington
How much glass bedding (Devcon) do you recommend behind the recoil lug on a small caliber rifle (22-250). What I'm asking is how much of the stock should I take out to fill with bedding.

Re: How Much Glass Bedding

remove just the bare minimum to get the action where you want it. two or three tablespoons of bedding compound should bed an action.

I wouldn’t remove much. Just enough to give the stock a rough texture, tooth if you will for the bedding to adhere to. If you’re not using Pillars, which I recommend you do use them, use long 1/4x28 headless screws as guide screws to keep the guard screw holes lined up between the stock and receiver. Good luck

How come some people just you the action screws to semi-tighten the action into the stock and others don't

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrbet83</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How come some people just you the action screws to semi-tighten the action into the stock and others don't </div></div>

I use the action screws to be sure of alignment. I just run them in enough to hold everything together. As was mentioned by someone way more professional than myself, 1/4-28 screws (assuming R700 action) that are headless can be used for alignment, but you need something to hold everything together while the compound sets. Some use surgical tubing, I've used surveyor's flagging tape.....now I just use the action screws.