• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes How much glass?

Chuck Anderson

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 21, 2007
Newberg, Oregon
Tried searching but didn't find just what I'm looking for. I'm kicking around the idea of building a 6.5 Creedmoor. Idea is to use it for target shooting and practical/tactical type matches, something along the lines of the ITRC in Wyoming on the extreme side or USPSA MOR on the light end. So the question is, how much glass do I need? Do I need a 5-25 or will something lower powered serve as well or better for these types of competitions. I'm running a 3.5x10 on my .308 now. I just want to make sure I can maximize the potential of the 6.5.

Re: How much glass?

4-16 or 3-15 is enough, but 5-25 can be very handy at times.

I've shot in a fair number of matches, on only one stage did I feel that only 16x was a handicap and Rob01 shooting his 5-25 next to me was having issues too (those damn minature playing cards).
smile.gif

Re: How much glass?

Yeah those cards sucked at the Tactics PRC. I think people that got points were lucky more than good LOL

To the OP, I run a Nightforce 3.5-15x50 F1 on my 6.5 Creedmoor now and don't feel underglassed in the least bit. I can see the targets fine at matches. That said if the scope is FFP going higher isn't a problem either as you can dial down.