• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing How much insulation is in your hunting boots?

pickpick

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2008
Jonesboro,Ar.
I'm in need of new hunting boots after this season. The ones I have are '95 model field and stream 1200gr thinsulate. Hunting in Ar. usually doesn't get down to the teens. And when it does I generally don't go to the deer stand. I have a problem with my feet sweating and then getting cold, so I wonder if I even need 1200gr of insulation. Thinking that backing off the insulation to 400 or 600 might help me not sweat and stay as warm or warmer. I usually have to walk a 1/2 to 3/4 mile to my hunting spots, so I'm not going far in them. I'm thinking about the Cabelas Outfitter series. I would like to spend less than $200.00 Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Re: How much insulation is in your hunting boots?

Rocky bear claw 1000 gram. Cabelas brand are great, they are great at standing behind them should there be a problem.

I bought a new pair of hunting boots this fall prior to my deer hunt. Temps are usually between 5-50* where I hunt. I used to have 600 gram Rocky boots which were fine in all but the coldest stand days.

My new boots are only 200 gram, but seem to be warmer than my 600 grams, and are MUCH more comfortable out of the box than my old Rockys after 10 years and countless miles on them.

I picked up the Irish Setter (Made by Redwing) 200 gram Elk Hunters for $199. Unbelievably comfortable, seriously. I tried on 20 different boots, and as soon as I slipped these on, quit my search. They kept my feet warm at temps around 10*, and have worn them in the desert this fall in temps around 60* too. Never sweated or had cold feet either.

Boot insulation is a myth or misunderstood. Feet get cold from sinking cold through the sole, not so much the upper. Many boots do not have good, correct or any insulation under the foot. My #1 boot guiding and playing in Alaska is a single layer leather boot but with Ibitherm extra layer under the foot. I have worn these boots linked below to -40 with virtually no cold feet, -20 never cold feet.

http://www.sportiva.com/products/footwear/mountain/nepal-evo-gtx

Cold feet? place feet on an insulated foam pad and feel the difference. I always carried a small closed cell foam pad just for this reason. One to sit on too.

Ensure you are well hydrated, do not try to hydrate the day before but weeks before and stay hydrated. Eat small and frequent high calorie snacks during the day. I eat M&Ms and logan bread.

Take baby aspirin or garlic pills to help thin the blood.

Try not to bend your knees when sitting.

When lacing up your boots before heading out the door, lace each boot with full body weight so the foot has some room in the boot when lacing. If your feet do not have body weight when lacing, the laced boot can restrict some blood flow and pinch the foot, blisters too. Also you can skip a lace hole over the top of the foot or keep the laces loose. There are a bunch of lacing tricks to combat foot boots issues but no way I can explain them all.

Do not wear 100% wool socks. Wool is a natural fiber and while it does insulate with damp, a 50/50 synth wool sock is warmer by the synth dispersing sweat and drying quicker. If you can find Outlast socks, nothing is as warm. Use a Superfeet insole, winter green with Outlast if you can find them.

Sweaty feet, liberally rub your feet with Degree underarm before leaving the house, cabin, tent. You can change your socks once on the stand but this subjects your feet to the cold and your boots may be already damp.

You were right about Logan bread, that is a great outdoor/hiking food. You mentioned it a while ago, and I started making it. Better tasting than cliff bars, saves lots of money. Cliff bars get real old fast, when you start eating them all day long.

On boots, I have some all leather Smokejumper custom boots from Whites Boats in Spokane. There is a lot of leather in the sole, and with thick wool socks I was fully warm in 10 to 20 degree weather. Have not used them in any weather colder than that. There is not insulate, but enough room for 2 pair thick socks.

They do have some excellent cold weather boots with removable liners:
http://www.whitesboots.com/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=185

-Steve

Cabelas brand guide/outfitter boots for the last 8 years. Prolly time for some new ones. Mine were uninsulated I believe as i got them for pheasant hunting originally. I've used them for deer hunting and stalking and Iowa winters are freakin cold. Double up on the synthetic socks and I'm always good to go. Only problem is stands on single digit days but then I'll just go for my 800g rubber boots.

I tried boots with 600 grams of insulation and my feet sweat so bad that my feet got colder than when I wear my regular steel toe boots.

My longtime favorite hunting boots are 400-gram Cabela's Elk Hunters (US made Danners). They keep my feet warm and comfortable in a variety of temps. Socks are probably more important than anything though.

I've done best with a 400gr boot, with a good sole for MOST of my PA hunting from early fall small game to the 20-30 degree days during the primary deer season. Late season (now) has me in the 10's tomorrow morning and i have a thin wool felt insole that I replace the rubber one with and my feet stay toasty. I disagree with the Synth/nat blend socks though. I wear a silk liner sock and a good quality 100 percent wool sock. Partway thru the day, i will swap socks between feet and turn them inside out (just something wierd I do...) and it kick starts circulation in the feet again when it's cold out on stand. the biggest problem I've encountered as has been said before is heat leaving thru the soles. My Merrel Camo Mids (now on their 6th season...tattered and glued numerous times are still comfy as hell, and plenty warm. I hate to get rid of them but this may be their final season. the $4 felt insoles have been the single best investment I have ever made for my cold weather gear however and they continue to keep things toasty even after a dip in the creek. I stopped long enough to pull the liners, flick them dry and put on a spare wool sock and was back up and running without any noticeable difference in foot temp. Most folks also tighten their boots WAY too tight when on stand. Loosen them things up unless you need the support of some hard hiking. When you get where you are going, take the boots off, massage feet, and pop them back on with the laces loosened.

This is some awesome info. Thanks so much. I wear smartwool liner socks and sometimes Fits brand wool sock over them. I may even be wearing my boots too tight. Thanks.

Superfeet insoles! Just like 45/308 mentioned.

Mine are 400 grain but I'm almost always moving. No cold feet down to -20.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pickpick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> This is some awesome info. Thanks so much. I wear smartwool liner socks and sometimes Fits brand wool sock over them. I may even be wearing my boots too tight. Thanks. </div></div>

Socks are another myth or misunderstood concept. Socks have no direct value if providing warmth. This is an old myth. Socks provide cushioning and control the micro climate of the foot that will help provide indirect warmth. Just by layering socks will not provide more insulation to the foot. In fact, the reverse is true. Quality socks today that have some design and material design only require one sock to perform at its optimum for cushioning and moisture management.

Feet get cold from the bottom of the boot and the amount of insulation under foot in the boot. Obviously standing in ankle deep water or snow pack can produce cold feet through the boot upper but not for the average boot in cold temps.

I was fortunate enough to get paid to play in Alaska with different gear and provide feedback to vendors. Like wearing a half half, which for those who do not know, is a jacket, pant, etc, sewn together with two different fabrics in one garment to test how each side performs against each other under the same external perimeters. I also tested a different boot on each foot and different sock on each foot. Of course each body and test is different due to many factors, I can say what has performed for me over weeks, months and a full season testing gear under this guidance.

I never had good luck with Smartwool socks or any 100% wool sock. They are great for a day trip or even an overnight but stretch into multiple days and weeks, they did not perform like other socks; Bridgedale my favorite, Thor-lo, Rhonar, and many synth wool socks. 100% wool will lose it shape over time and stay damp, this is not so important when you go home at night after a few hours in the hills. Wool provides cushioning and long time wear, synth provide moisture management of the micro climate around the foot, keep their shape day after day and dry quickly by body heat by placing the socks on your chest at night while sleeping.

I would wear just the Fits socks with Degree on them, place a closed cell foam pad under your feet when standing or sitting long periods, get and stay hydrated, eat snacks, do what it takes to keep circulation flowing and your feet will stay warm.

Good luck and give some feedback to what has worked for you!

Thank you very much 45.308. I have spent more money on trying to keep warm than I have on gun stuff. Seems I can't get it figured out. No one has explained these thing to me. I will do what you advise and give some feed back. I'm hoping to get drawn for a Deer hunt in Wyoming this fall. I may be pming you with more questions if I get drawn. Thanks again.