• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes How much magnif. power for 100 yard target shootin

hoonshyne

Private
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2011
Hey all - new user. Joined this forum because I want to start focusing on longer-range target shooting.

I've been using a 22LR to get into rifles and target shooting. Right now, I've been using a red-dot with a 6x magnifier option. Fun but nowhere near the amount of magnification I need to go out beyond 50 yards.

My question is this -
How much magnification is typically used for 100 yard shots? My 6x magnifier is not even close to helping me with those targets. I'm sure that the advertised power isn't too accurate but I'm thinking if my 6x magnifier is insufficient for me, a 6x scope would also be inefficient.

I'm looking at variable zoomers that go to 24, 32 and 40x (!). Is that overkill for 100-200 yards?

Your input is appreciated. Thanks.

Re: How much magnif. power for 100 yard target shootin

which red dot and magnifier is it and what kind of targets are you shooting?

Totally depends on what kind of shooting you're doing and how accurate your rifle is. If you have a very accurate rifle and are looking for benchrest accuracy, anywhere between 14x and 36x. My 100yd bench rifle wears a Weaver 36x. My Anschutz wears a Zeiss 4.5-14 and will shoot nice groups at 100. It also depends on what you are used to.

For informal stuff, I like the 4x12 Bushnell with the adjustable objective. Mine is clear and tracks well. You can go up from there, but once you get past 12x you need a rest of some sort. Sling, bipod or bags. JMHO

24x is nice on the top end, but you lose the low end. So, if it's going to be used anywhere other than the range, you will most likely have to sacrifice the top end.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DannySeesUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">which red dot and magnifier is it and what kind of targets are you shooting? </div></div>
I'm using a Primary Arms M3 with their 6x flip-to-side magnifier

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Totally depends on what kind of shooting you're doing and how accurate your rifle is. If you have a very accurate rifle and are looking for benchrest accuracy, anywhere between 14x and 36x. My 100yd bench rifle wears a Weaver 36x. My Anschutz wears a Zeiss 4.5-14 and will shoot nice groups at 100. It also depends on what you are used to. </div></div>
Good info - thanks. I'm using an M&P 15-22 - not a competition rifle by any means. I don't have the best eyesight so the more work a scope could do for me the better.
I do use a bench rest (wood blocks and sand bag)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For informal stuff, I like the 4x12 Bushnell with the adjustable objective. Mine is clear and tracks well. You can go up from there, but once you get past 12x you need a rest of some sort. Sling, bipod or bags. JMHO </div></div>
I'm able to keep things steady using the blocks and sandbag mentioned above. If my 6x magnifier is what it claims to be, it's not enough for me to shoot at 100yds.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rchman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">24x is nice on the top end, but you lose the low end. So, if it's going to be used anywhere other than the range, you will most likely have to sacrifice the top end. </div></div>
Makes sense. I'm ok with losing CQB / close shots. I'm going to be mounting the scope on top of a carryhandle / iron sight with an RDS co-witness for <25 yard shots.

by the way - I'm plinkin with 22lr rounds.
I don't intend on target shooting beyond 100 yards.

Somewhere in the 12-16x range should suit you well. Anything more could just frustrate you. Not like you are shooting benchrest accuracy, just extended plinking.

Your choices are not over kill. Though for me at 100 yrds I can see just fine with 10X and if your just "plinking" it may not be a bad route to go to save you some cash and get more ammo. Or get a 10X higher quality scope so its more clear for you

I buy the telescopes they sell at walmart for 39.99 and mount it with a shit load of duct tape. For the reticle I use a 5 lb test line(your choice in color). Thats how us poor folks do it.

4X is enough for shooting at 100yds. 12x will enable you to see the bullet holes.

BAGunner brings up a good point. 4x should be plenty to shoot 100yds, but are you talking about hitting a target, or spotting your shots, when you say you can't shoot 100yds w your 6x? Maybe what you need is a nice little spotting scope. tap out your groups then check them on your spotting scope, or if you're lucky enough to have a spotter, they can call your adjustments.
I'm going to keep the explanation brief, but if you are trying to spot your shots through your scope, you're going to complicate things for yourself, and as per the marksmanship techniques I've been taught you should be focused on your reticle, not on your target, and definitely not looking for the holes you're making. Plus those high power scopes can really fry your pupil. I shoot 1000 yds w a fixed 10x and don't really see a need for higher power unless you're shooting 1500+yds... unless you're also trying to spot your shots, in which case you're better off using a spotting scope than your rifle scope.

bushnell elite something around a 16 pwr would be perfect.. i use an old bushnell legend 5-15 mildot on my old bolt action 22, i can see bullet holes @ 100 yds and i use a mil dot on my other target rifle so it is pretty close to my other set ups.........goodluck

I'd put a Super Sniper fixed 10x or 16x on it and call it done. They are a lot of scope for the money and the adjustable parallax will be needed if shooting inside of 100 yards. They will also let you go well beyond 100 yards if you ever decide to. I have the 16x on my Savage MkII and get consistent hits on a head sized target at 200+ yards. I've also been able to hit the head target at 455 yards though I had to use a bit of holdover as I couldn't dial up that much.

Reactions: Ryder276

i shoot with scopes from 10X to 36X and for target shooting magnification is good.

For pure target shooting at 100 yds I'd go look for a Weaver 36x. I'm half assed looking for one for my 22 but I have too many other things to buy right now.

hmmm... intresting how I get recommendations of a max 16x all the way to recommendations for a max 36x...

What's the key variable? Eyesight vision?

It sounds to me like you are just starting out?? If that is the case then I would recommend no scope what so ever. The first thing any good shooter should learn(IMO) is how to shoot open sights to at least 100 yards.

I would invest in a good set of open sights and learn to be proficient with those first. High magnification scopes are a crutch IMO. And do not lead to good shooters(at least not as a starter). Just an opinion.

Go to Camp Perry and watch those old grunts shoot with open sights. You will be enamored. And the better part of prudency would be to ask for their advise. They will gladly give it. And you will be a richer person for it. Tom.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hoonshyne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hmmm... intresting how I get recommendations of a max 16x all the way to recommendations for a max 36x...

What's the key variable? Eyesight vision? </div></div>

Individual preference... I use scopes with a top end of 8x, 10x, 15x, 16x, and 20x at 1000y and 100y.

6x should be fine for shooting 100-200yd's but I would stay away from the red dot scope's but that is just me .

Maybe you should go and try and check out some other scope's I try and stay away from very high mag as it get's really hot over here and it is wasted most of the time , as you end up dialling back the mag I seem to like around 15x but I would go higher , I am also shooting well past 100yd's .

what is you budget you could get a reasonable 3-9 and be happy with that or go to even better thing's it depends on your budget .

If you have a good glass 6x at 100yd's should be fine , however you have stated your eye sight is not the best .

I also agre with Hogghead you should learn on iron sight's before going to a scope .

If you're trying to turn your 15-22 into a target rifle, save yourself some frustration and forget about it. From the way that I've seen 15-22s shoot, what they do at 100 yards can't be called target shooting. It's more like trigger finger exercise. I don't know, maybe if you have one that will run on sub sonics, it might be different, but mine won't.

The 15-22 is a plinking rifle. I'd go with a 4X, or better yet, a Weaver V3 1-3X. If you can't shoot with the 6X, getting a bigger scope isn't going to make the rifle shoot better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hoonshyne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hmmm... intresting how I get recommendations of a max 16x all the way to recommendations for a max 36x...

What's the key variable? Eyesight vision? </div></div>

No, it is what you are trying to accomplish. If you are trying to shoot at a 1/2 inch dot at 100 yds the reticle on a lower powered scope will almost cover the point of aim. A 2nd focal plane 36 x will let you choose a point of hold within the target; however, it is way too much magnification for almost any other uses of a 22LR so unless it is a pure target shooter most people will get something else.

That said, if you are trying to shoot a semi-auto 22 at 100 yards you'll be lucky if yo can keep your groups at 2" with any scope. Pick up a bolt action CZ-452. 453 or 455 or a Savage. If you shop around they can be had for less than $400. Spend some time reading in the rimfire forum here.

hey all - thank you all for the responses.

I ordered a Nikon ProStaff 4-12x by 40mm scope.

4-12x sounds great for a .22lr.

One thing I don't like about magnifiers like your 6x setup is that they also magnify the dot, which can then completely obscure the target and/or prevent precision shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bedlam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">4-12x sounds great for a .22lr.

One thing I don't like about magnifiers like your 6x setup is that they also magnify the dot, which can then completely obscure the target and/or prevent precision shooting. </div></div>
agreed on the dot