• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes How much more to remove the cheap?

glock24

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 14, 2006
    West Michigan
    It seems to happen every hunting season. I take co-workers to the range to sight in their hunting rifles, and low and behold the scope is tracking wildly and is in no way repeatable. The rings and bases are always tight, and even the coveted screwdriver handle tapping on the scope body is employed several times.

The usual suspects are entry-level options from Bushnell, Nikon, Leupold, Burris, and even Vortex. I'm not bashing any particular brand, but I am singling out entry-level, 3x9 hunting scopes built to the $100-$200 price point. And I certainly understand why these scopes exist. As they say in the wine-making, "the swill pays the bills".

What I'm interested in better understanding is what brands, and at what cost can a weekend hunter expect an actual improvement in mechanical reliability?

I don't care about glass quality, because neither do these guys. I don't care about bells and whistles. There's no room for them in the budget. And I don't care about amazing VIP warranties, because a scope is only known to be broken three days before the big hunt

I recall back in the day, some manufacturers advertising twin-bias springs as their way of improving the mechanical performance of the erector tube. These are the kinds of details I am interested in learning more about. And again, only in scopes that best stretch that hard-earned dollar.

Any insights or recommendations would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Turrets available in other models for a little more $ if interested. Check samplelist for refurbs

I’ve had good luck with the Burris Fullfield II on hunting rifles. Have a 3-9 and several 4.5-14. With ballistic plex.

I’ve seen some decent low end bushnells hold up on 300 wsm and smaller calibers

I quit offering to help sight guns in for people or sighting them in for them. For the reason that generally something goes wrong or isn’t tight and you get wrapped up helping way more than you figured

This year I sighted a 7mm-08 in for a family member. Fire 1 shot adjust. Fire second shot, it’s close. Proceed to fire 3 rounds to confirm zero. Next round goes 6” up and left. 1 box of core loks and cheap everything.

When someone pulls out their sportsman’s guide $80 6-24 super tactical sniper everything scope that lights up in 8 color reticles and the reticle is busy as shit and makes no sense I just avoid even trying to help that person.

They’ll be the first to criticize you for spending some $$ on a scope with the same features theirs has for 1/5 the price. Right before setting the target up at 50 yards thinking it’s 100

For scopes that your planning to spin turrets on, the SWFA in straight power are the lowest I’ve seen that hold up. You want all the bells and whistles and something that holds up your bumping up in $$

Keep in mind most people could have a reliable setup but buy the absolute cheapest shit ammo on the shelf. The first thing I do with another persons gun is fire my cold bore fouler, make an initial adjustment and fire 2-3 rounds. I say 2 because if the first 2 are 5” apart. The third shot won’t improve it anymore

Don't expect a $100 or $200 scope to track that great or be repeatable and the problem is solved. Sight them in and if they hold zero then you got what you paid for. If the people are needing help sighting in their gun then they shouldn't be shooting game at any distance that they need to worry about dialing.

If they need to reach out farther then get one that has a mil or moa reticle and use that without dialing. Bushnell makes some cheap FFP scopes with pretty good reticles (and I'm sure others do as well).

NF SHV should be the bottom. And the f1 4-14 if they’re smart.

If they are real cheap get the 3-15 Swfa

Reactions: Jsp556
    I have a couple of Burris Tac 30s that are 30mm Fullfield IIs and they stay put. They do have the dual spring like all Fullfield IIs have. Got them on clearance during Sandy Hook for $200 each.

Reactions: Davesnothere
    The SWFA 3-9HD is a good scope. Better glass and turrets than the 3-15 and about $100 cheaper last time I looked.

Don't expect a $100 or $200 scope to track that great or be repeatable and the problem is solved.

This is really how a $100-$200 hunting scope is intended to be used. I have a Cabela's special Burris E1 with 30mm tube that I got for $150 and it's perfectly serviceable if you don't expect to spin turrets and hunt within the MPBR of the cartridge.

Reactions: supercorndogs
    I have a vortex diamondback in 3-9x ish on a hunting ar15. If you just zero it and leave it its fine. But I would never expect or trust it to track accurately, I don't think that's what that scope is intended to do.

It's their own fault for thinking a scope retailing for $100, which costs the factory $15 to make, can be trusted.
    Even worse when they spend $1000 on a hunting rifle and put a $100 scope on it.
    Worse still when they buy a $219 on sale gun/scope combo, which one of my friends who has tons of money did recently. Ha, we never were able to sight it in and the gun seems to shoot like crap.
    Especially when you think about all the $, time, and effort put into a hunt. C'mon people, charge a better scope on the CC and pay it off in 6 months.

I’ll just leave this here:

In last year’s coveted “87th Annual World’s Greatest Rifle Scope” competition, this one took the top four spots. Everyone else was vying for 5th place.

5FF9CFC0-7B37-426C-957E-73F03D4B5B03.jpeg

I gots a cheap Leupold 3-9X because it is green and looks good as a repro on an M40.

I zeroed it and now no longer touch the turrets.

Everything is fired off the mil reticle.

Can you teach these guys holds and how to use them?

Reactions: Aftermath
    • Haha
    Reactions: TheHorta
    leupold vx3 3-9x has been solid , have a couple bushnells 4-14x mildots that were in the $350 range that have been solid, Old Nikon Buckmasters 3-9X before they cheapend them up. Say around $375 average on the lot of 'em

All are on 30-06/25-06 rifles and have held up for years.

The thing is, all are used as MPBR rifles, sighted in accordingly and hunted where the longest probable shot is going to be 300yds.

If I'm going anywhere that a long shot is a possibility these guns stay home

Reactions: Baron23
    Redfield Revolution is a decent hunting scope for around $200 or a little more.

It's their own fault for thinking a scope retailing for $100, which costs the factory $15 to make, can be trusted.
    Even worse when they spend $1000 on a hunting rifle and put a $100 scope on it.
    Worse still when they buy a $219 on sale gun/scope combo, which one of my friends who has tons of money did recently. Ha, we never were able to sight it in and the gun seems to shoot like crap.
    Especially when you think about all the $, time, and effort put into a hunt. C'mon people, charge a better scope on the CC and pay it off in 6 months.

A 1000 dollar rifle, a 1000 dollar scope, and 50 dollar binoculars is worse. :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :LOL:

• Haha
    Reactions: steve123
    • Haha
    Reactions: TheHorta
    I appreciate how this thread went straight from like 5 posts of advice to ripping on the poors

This is the way. ;)

Seriously though its not always about money. Some people just don't put value in quality glass. I helped a buddy sight in a new moose rifle last year. It was a browning hells canyon which are ~1k range. The optic he bought....vortex crossfire II 3-9. Not only did he over torque the shit out of the rings but the optic wouldn't hold zero under recoil. Chased around the zero for a while before finally narrowing it down to the scope simply unable to hold zero.

Its not that he couldn't afford a better optic he just didn't think it was worth it. Lesson learned. Flip side if he couldn't afford a better optic I would have told him buy a basic rifle like a ruger american and then spend the rest of the budget on glass. I would take a $500 rifle with a $650 dollar scope any day over a $1000 rifle with a $150 dollar scope if that was my budget.

Last edited:
    $550.00

Don’t fight over it. Lol

• Haha
    Reactions: carbonbased
    1609346284889.png

Note that one of the “features” they list is circled above.

edit: they cheaped out and didn’t even include NV + 4K thermal on this damn POS? Phishaw!

Last edited:
    The placement of the turrets in a visually obstructed position was a strategic design decision.

No don’t you see you can engage at close range with the red dot and with it being perfectly in front of your turret you’ll be able to dial your elevation to transition to the scope for the bad guys at distance. Such a time saver

• Haha
    Reactions: carbonbased
    Guys, guys, guys, can’t you see the genius of this design? If the bad guy sneaks up on your overwatch position and attempts to mess with your windage turret (they all want to, everyone knows) the laser will cut his fingers off.

C’mon fellas, FOCUS!

Reactions: KeithStone
    JESUS SAVE ME I just read some of the “reviews” of the UUQ scope. As a species, we are .1 mil above water apes.